Costa Maya - David and Ivan tour - Not responding

MotherofMiddleSchoolers

We really want to take the Chacchoben Ruins tour with David and Ivan based on all we've heard about them here on CC. I've emailed them three times using two different email addresses over that last week to try to make a reservation. I haven't heard back from them yet. :(

We are leaving for the airport at 6am (tomorrow!) and I'm getting nervous that we won't get on one of their tours. Should we still try to find them in the transportation area at the dock in Costa Maya with the thought that maybe they might have two spaces still open? :confused:

Any advice?

Panicking, :eek:

Tina

We just returned from Western carribbean cruise last week and toured the ruins with David & Ivan. It was an excellent tour. We had some trouble reaching them at first also. It is my understanding that internet service in Cost Maya is not always guaranteed.

We had a few people just show up and get on the tour. There is someone from Ivan and David at the transportation area, just ask for them, everyone seems to know them. Of course there is always the risk that they may be booked for that day. You may want to check and see how many ships are in port that day.

I don't know what kind of email address you're using but I emailed them from my verizon.net account and was not getting a response. Evidently the ISP was blocking them as spam. I resent it from a public email account -yahoo- and I got a response. So you might want to try sending your request from a different email address.

Diane

We really want to take the Chacchoben Ruins tour with David and Ivan based on all we've heard about them here on CC. I've emailed them three times using two different email addresses over that last week to try to make a reservation. I haven't heard back from them yet. :(

We are leaving for the airport at 6am (tomorrow!) and I'm getting nervous that we won't get on one of their tours. Should we still try to find them in the transportation area at the dock in Costa Maya with the thought that maybe they might have two spaces still open? :confused:

Any advice?

Panicking, :eek:

Tina

We went two weeks ago. You don't want to miss this trip. Ivan is very good and very knowledgeable. keep trying to get through, but go to the public transportation area at the dock and ask for David and/or Ivan and someone will help you. I bet you will be able to get on without reservations. They are very accommodating people. Hope you enjoy. Let us know what you think when you return.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

The tour took us about 4 hours. It was one of the highlights of our trip. We had one of David and Ivan's assistants - Iliu (sp?) - lead our group. He was very informative. Our group consisted of only 8 people, and for a large part of our tour, we were the only people there. As we were leaving, we passed some of the "ship" tour groups consisting of around 100 people. We were very fortunate. We were able to take pictures of the ruins and there were no people in the pictures. It was very nice. I would take it again in a heartbeat.

Robert

Well, I have contacted them (David and Ivan) 4 times and still no response. Our ship sails on Saturday so guess I won't be seeing the ruins with them.

I would keep trying through their web site. Costa Maya is pretty backward when it comes to technology. In fact if I remember right there isn't even a post office there, limited phone service - so you can imagine what their internet access is like.

Anyway, like I said - I'd keep trying. This was one of the highlights of our trip. Even my husband loved it and he doesn't usually like tours. If you don't get through to them, try to find them when you get there and see if they will take you as walk-ons. They are VERY accommodating. David was our group leader and is a wealth of information and knows how to make it interesting to all ages. This and Gus in Guatemala were what MADE our trip worthwhile.

This is one tour I'd love to have again.

Did you check your SPAM folder? When I emailed them, it told me to check there because they have problems with SPAM filtering software blocking their emails. It wasn't a problem for me. I use AOL and got a response in less than 24 hours. I was very impressed with their responsiveness. We are checking out the ruins in 2 weeks so I'll try to remember to mention to them people are having difficulty contacting them.

Well, I have contacted them (David and Ivan) 4 times and still no response. Our ship sails on Saturday so guess I won't be seeing the ruins with them.

When you get to the port area walk to the back area where the buses are and ask for the Ivan and David tour. On our excursion, several people did this and joined our tour. As long as you get there before their tour leaves you shouldn't have any trouble joining along.

Everyone at the port knows Ivan and David, so just ask for them.

When you get to the port area walk to the back area where the buses are and ask for the Ivan and David tour. On our excursion, several people did this and joined our tour. As long as you get there before their tour leaves you shouldn't have any trouble joining along.

Everyone at the port knows Ivan and David, so just ask for them.

We took the David and Ivan tour thru Shoretrips.com...you spend a couple extra dollars, but you print a voucher that tells you exactly how to contact them and your spaces in their van are reserved for you. Also, if there are ANY changes, the ShoreTrips people will CALL you to tell you about it! We didn't realize it was the same people until we got there!

We took another excursion with them in Cozumel and were also greatly pleased.

http://www.thenativechoice.com/index.php

I just got an email back from Ivan last night (Tuesday). I had emailed him on Saturday to confirm reservations. They have a new website where you can check availability and book on line. (see website above) Why don't you give that a try?

If not, then one of them will be at the port where they sell the tickets for the shuttle to the village. They check-in people there. For our trip, they are starting the tour one hour after the ship docks, so maybe they will be doing the same for yours.

We toured with David, Ivan and Silvia and they were great. They're friendly, smart, and really know their Maya history. I probably told all three of them at one point or another how popular they are on CC and that they need to boost their internet presence to satisfy the interest in their tours.

In my case, my initial inquiry wasn't answered for two weeks. Silvia said internet access is not available everywhere and it's sometimes spotty, but they definitely have a great attitude in terms of customer service and wanting to see their group grow ... so perhaps they'll find ways to boost the cyber side.

Since cell phones are common there, they may be able to use cell technology for internet access if it's available there. If you use something like Outlook you can download and upload large numbers of emails in brief linkups and not use up too many minutes.

One caution for tourers: We were caught in a rain shower at the Maya site and didn't have the proper rain gear. D&I might want to invest in a couple dozen umbrellas. Until then cruisers should bring one, or a good rain jacket.

Tim

We toured with David, Ivan and Silvia and they were great. They're friendly, smart, and really know their Maya history. They said they're working to increase their internet presence despite the local technical difficulties. They definitely were eager to give good service.

One caution for tourers: We were caught in a rain shower at the Maya site and didn't have the proper rain gear. D&I might want to invest in a couple dozen umbrellas. Until then cruisers should bring one, or a good rain jacket.

Tim

We toured with David, Ivan and Silvia and they were great. They're friendly, smart, and really know their Maya history. They said they're working to increase their internet presence despite the local technical difficulties. They definitely were eager to give good service.

Tim

I actually just packed mine for our upcoming cruise! I'll make sure it's in our tote bag when we go on the tour with david & Ivan!:)

We just got back from David and Ivan tour. Ivan was wonderful. After being there and seeing all of the LARGE groups and then ours of 8 people, I was definitely happy to have booked through him. It is true that the internet is spotty there. Also, he let us know that you will need to book on his new website as well. That is the best way to get with them. Apparently, the folks at the pier know him well and will direct you. However, if you go into town, while I'm sure they know him, they will act like they don't and try to get you to go on their own tour of the ruins ;) hmm. Luckily, he does have a spot at Cat's Meow. However, he is not starting the tours there (at least not last week) It is from the pier. It kind of sounded like there were some recent changes. The owners of CM are very helpful though and got us in contact with him by cell so we could meet up for the tour.

I have to correct myself. This is funny. After going to the website and looking at the pictures, David was actually our tour guide, not Ivan. LOL. And to think I was probably calling him Ivan the entire time. Anyway, I wanted to add, he was very interesting. David, hee hee, took time to run away for a minute and come back with plant leaves to eat. He gave us a very thorough history of the entire area and the Mayan culture. He truly made this a wonderful experience!

On the way back, we stopped briefly (on the participants request) at the roadside in "Pineapple city" for Pineapple. It was very yummy/juicy and 1.00 a bag. I would recommend sharing like 4 people to a bag because it is a lot of pineapple! (and bring some napkins with you if you choose to do this).

He did mention briefly of some other tours he is looking to put together that really sound exciting, including one of some type of game that the locals play. If/When we go back, I will definintely be looking on his website for other tours as well.

My wife and I just got back from a back to back on the Jewell of the Seas. I am grateful that I listened to other posters and booked the Chaccoben Ruins tour with David and Ivan. This was our first stop in Costa Maya and we had a wonderful time.

Below is a list of why you should book with them:

1) The Chaccoben Ruins are beautiful. If you're that close, its a shame to not see them

2) When you see the bus tours with 50+ people, you will be glad that your group is limited to 8 or 9

3) When the other bus tour groups left, we were the only ones at the site and had it completely to ourselves. Great for pictures and getting a real sense of the place

4) David and Ivan are great and very informative. Ivan grew up on the site and knows it very well. They speak excellent english. They have rep a the port that steers you outside where they get you into their new clean van for the ride into town. There you will change to another nice clean van for the ride to the ruins. They provide water and soft drinks and you enjoy the comfort of a small group in an air conditioned van.

We were very happy with the experience and would recommend it to others.

:D :D

I am looking for an excursion that has some variety. Does this excursion go just to the ruins, you walk around, and then after a while you go back? Or is there swimming and other things to do? My teens aren't into the history lesson thing....

They do have a few different options. Visit their website. I believe it is nativechoice.com or something like that. The link is further up in the post. They have a ruins tour that combines kayaking and other water activities. They also have one that combines a meal in the mayan village that looked interesting.

My wife and I just got back from a back to back on the Jewell of the Seas. I am grateful that I listened to other posters and booked the Chaccoben Ruins tour with David and Ivan. This was our first stop in Costa Maya and we had a wonderful time.

Below is a list of why you should book with them:

1) The Chaccoben Ruins are beautiful. If you're that close, its a shame to not see them

2) When you see the bus tours with 50+ people, you will be glad that your group is limited to 8 or 9

3) When the other bus tour groups left, we were the only ones at the site and had it completely to ourselves. Great for pictures and getting a real sense of the place

4) David and Ivan are great and very informative. Ivan grew up on the site and knows it very well. They speak excellent english. They have rep a the port that steers you outside where they get you into their new clean van for the ride into town. There you will change to another nice clean van for the ride to the ruins. They provide water and soft drinks and you enjoy the comfort of a small group in an air conditioned van.

We were very happy with the experience and would recommend it to others.

:D :D

Sounds great. We are on the Sun March 6th in Costa maya and thinking of doing the Kohunlich Mayan Ruins Tour they offer but it's a long way from the port (even farther than Chaccoben, which we've seen)

What time did you start your tour?

Archived