Cruising 5 or 6 months pregnant

CoxAndr

Hi ... we are considering an addition to our family. We have a cruise booked for August and I do not want to cancel. If we get pregnant when we hope to, I will be 5 or 6 months pregnant at the time of our cruise. Has anyone ever cruised at 5 or 6 months, and if so, did you have a good experience? We go on a family cruise every year, and I don't really see it as being a problem. Just wanted to make sure I am not missing something that I should be thinking about. Thanks!

I haven't, but I would. I was brand-newly pregnant on my one cruise...by official pregnancy timeline counting I was "3 weeks", but by actual true time of gestation I was 1 week (and YES I knew already)...I'll never know if the day I threw up was b/c of that, or because of the rocky seas as we left the Inside Passage...:)

Anyway, check with the cruiseline you're on, b/c I've seen some that will only allow you to be under 24 weeks (I *think* that was Disney), another said 27, and another says 28.

The other day I *would* have mentioned to be sure to get insurance, in case something is going on that makes you unable to travel, but I was reading the fine print for the insurance Disney cruises offers, and it sort of makes it sound like if you're pregnant and can't cruise b/c of something oging on with the pregnancy, it is a pre-existing condition unless the pregnancy happens after you're covered...which is odd, b/c you're only covered once the cruise starts?

Very confusing. If you get travel insurance, you might make sure you'd be covered if you had to cancel or leave, if something floopy happened before or during the cruise.

Good luck!

Hi ... we are considering an addition to our family. We have a cruise booked for August and I do not want to cancel. If we get pregnant when we hope to, I will be 5 or 6 months pregnant at the time of our cruise. Has anyone ever cruised at 5 or 6 months, and if so, did you have a good experience? We go on a family cruise every year, and I don't really see it as being a problem. Just wanted to make sure I am not missing something that I should be thinking about. Thanks!

I was 5 months pregnant when we went in May. We also had a 3-yr-old with us. An awesome time was had by all. We snorkeled and/or hit the beach at all three ports. And I got to eat myself silly, hahaha! I should have done this during my first pregnancy, too!

We are cruising at the end of February and I will be almost 5 months pregnant. I am looking soooo forward to this cruise--more than any I have been on so far I think! I need the relaxation, can't wait to eat like crazy to satiate every single craving, and just enjoying one last major vacation before I will be a very busy mommy with a newborn and a 2 year old come summer!

The only downfall I can think of--no Miami Vices or Yellowbirds!:(

I think if you cruise during this time--it is the "enjoyable" time of pregnancy. Not quite too huge and uncomfortable, and already past the not-so-fun sick/tired phase. As a pp mentioned, insurance is a must, and of course only consider if you are having a perfect, healthy pregnancy.

Good luck and enjoy!:)

Very confusing. If you get travel insurance, you might make sure you'd be covered if you had to cancel or leave, if something floopy happened before or during the cruise.

Good luck!

You need to be careful when trying to cover a pregnancy because all the plans I'm familiar with only allow trip cancellation if the doctor states that the life of the mother or baby are in danger. This means that just being put on bedrest isn't covered. Nor are non-life threatening complications.

I hope this helps.

You will need to check with the line you are cruising with. Most cruise lines have a limit as far as how many weeks pregnant you can be when you cruise.

I cruised on Disney last January and I was around 17 weeks I think. Will you have other children with you? We had our 2.5 year old and it was a little harder because I was pregnant and he wanted extra attention. But it's definitely do-able. Although normally I do not have a problem with sea-sickenss I was afraid I would feel sick since I was pregnant, but didn't feel sick at all the entire time.

It's not just "most cruiselines" it's ALL cruiselines have the pregnancy rule. And each one is different.

What cruiseline are you booked on? It's funny and I hate to say it, but check the guidelines and do some math before you ttc (try to conceive) I know that we were thinking about extending our family and I was sitting there trying to figure out how many weeks I would be on our next cruise. Yes I am hopeless. :p

So check the cruiseline's website. You'll need a note from your doc. And there will be certain excursions that you cannot do, like the dolphin encounter.

But you'll be pampered, relaxed and waited on hand and foot. What a great way to spend the pregnancy. :D

Has anyone taken any kind of seasickness medication while pregnant and cruising? I will be 21 weeks and I get very seasick......I am scared to cruise if I am unable to take anything. Do the seabands work well? I usually take meclazine. Thanks!!!

Was about 4-1/2 months. It was a weekend cruise (more because my hubby couldn't get away longer than that). The only excursion we did was a tour, which involved walking besides the bus ride. There were plenty of other pregnant women on that cruise.

The second trisemester is the best time. If you had morning sickness (which I didn't have), it'll be gone by this time. And you should try to avoid travel in your last trisemester.

It's not just "most cruiselines" it's ALL cruiselines have the pregnancy rule. And each one is different.

Sorry... I guess I mispoke ... "ALL cruiselines.":rolleyes:

I agree second trimester is best. I was quite sick during my first trimester and wouldn't have enjoyed myself.

Has anyone taken any kind of seasickness medication while pregnant and cruising? I will be 21 weeks and I get very seasick......I am scared to cruise if I am unable to take anything. Do the seabands work well? I usually take meclazine. Thanks!!!

You should check with your OB. There are many sea sick remedies. Bands never did for me, but do work for some. Ginger pills may be an option for you. There are many meds (such as Benadryl) that are considered safe during pregnancy. Benadryl will alleviate sea sickness, but make you tired.

Make sure you buy insurance, just in case....

Have a wonderful pregnancy...

You should check with your OB. There are many sea sick remedies. Bands never did for me, but do work for some. Ginger pills may be an option for you. There are many meds (such as Benadryl) that are considered safe during pregnancy. Benadryl will alleviate sea sickness, but make you tired.

Make sure you buy insurance, just in case....

Have a wonderful pregnancy...

Thanks!

I have a call into my OB, so I will see what they say. I don't think the ginger pills or bands will work for me as I get really sick without meclazine....I'm scared not to take it and then have a terrible time on the cruise. From what I have read Meclazine is a class B drug for pregnancy.

Archived