2 Part question, 10 points each, fingers on buzzers!...

Kernel Fudge

Hi all, my wife and I are 1st time cruisers, booked on the Sea at the end of March.

Question 1, worth 10 points, fingers on buzzers, you may confer :D

Small Island X Number of Ships X Number of Passengers = ?

The Island in mention is St. Maarten. I'm not a stat freak, but it looks like I'll have 7 vessels in Port, with possible 15,000 PAX + Crew. So, as first timers, your opinion regarding excursions? Go with the Princess trips? Go it alone? Stay in bed?

Question 2, worth 10 points, easier so no conferring ;)

Our itinerary is Tortola, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados (Long day), St. Vincent, POS Trinidad (short day), Bonaire, Aruba, then a cup of tea on the way back to FLL.

It is unlikely that we would wish to arrange an organised trip at every port. I know that there are plus and minus points regarding Princess / Independent trips. In your opinion, with that itinerary, what are the MUST DO's?

We are really looking forward to our cruise and as always your comments and opinions are very much appreciated.

Question 1....

If you are into sailing one of the best excursions I've ever done was the 12Meter boats on St. Maarten... It rocked! I took this through Carnival so I'm not sure if it is offered by Princess. Here is there web-site: http://www.12metre.com/

It was a great tour and I would highly recommend. They can only put so many people on each boat so you are not going to be stuffed in there.

Question 2....

See above for my must do!

Must do:

St Lucia...a whalewatching trip with Chris Hackshaw of Hackshaw Boats...google them

Bonaire...if you like snorkeling, go over to Kleine Bonaire, the deserted island, just off shore from town.

Barbados....evening cat. cruise...only offered on the Sea because of the long day

St Maartin...lots of people in town...you will likely tender to shore..so just walk around town, stroll long the beach/waterfront...stop for a drink, and enjoy the day

enjoy the Sea...we sure did last March

My husband and I did the America's Cup Sailing Regatta Excursion on St. Maarten on our honeymoon cruise. You are crew on an actual America's Cup Yacht. You are given a job to do during the race (I was a grinder...maybe that's why we lost!) and you race against another ship. It was GREAT fun and still left us time to wander around a bit and shop. On an excursion like that I don't think you'd even notice the number of people at port and could always just get right back on the ship when the excursion is over.

I'd HIGHLY recommend it!

My husband and I did the America's Cup Sailing Regatta Excursion on St. Maarten on our honeymoon cruise. You are crew on an actual America's Cup Yacht. You are given a job to do during the race (I was a grinder...maybe that's why we lost!) and you race against another ship. It was GREAT fun and still left us time to wander around a bit and shop. On an excursion like that I don't think you'd even notice the number of people at port and could always just get right back on the ship when the excursion is over.

I'd HIGHLY recommend it!

FYI... that is the 12 Meter excursion that I took on Carnival. Just called something different. :D

We are leaving Feb 3 on Sea and we have organized a Hacksaw trip. We have 12 or 14 from our roll call at $50/head.

St. Martin is a combo island of French and Dutch. You should spend at least part of the day on the French side (just to say that you did it). We once rented a jeep (not too expensive) and drove the island on our own, eating lunch on the French side, then stopped at Orient Beach which is a destination all its own.

With that long day in Barbados, you can do many things. Harrison's Cave is cool (pun intended), a distillery tour is available as is a brewery tour.

In order to see more ideas and thoughts, go to the part on CC with each of the individual islands and see what others have done and read their reviews. We will treat Sea Princess with care and leave a couple of drops of booze for you.

Jim

We were on the Sea last year and did Speedy's Ferry Service from Tortola to the Baths on Virgin Gorda. A must-see IMHO. Check out the web site www.speedysbvi.com Then click on Ferry Service and Charters- then "Specials". We did the "Sun and Fun" Special which included everything except the entrance fee to the Baths. (a dollar or two) Make sure you ask for the special that includes lunch if you want to do this. It was beautiful-a memorable experience. Just make sure you double check the return time for the ferry-you wouldn't want to miss it.

For a map of the baths, try www.thebathsbvi.com/map.htm

In Trinidad we did the Princess shore excursion to Maracas Beach. It was well worth the $. Gave us a wonderful tour of the city-a trip through the mountains and a beautiful beach day. It helped that our tour guide was outstanding.

Enjoy your cruise. The Sea Princess is our favorite and we think the itinerary can't be beat.

We were on the Sea last year and did Speedy's Ferry Service from Tortola to the Baths on Virgin Gorda. A must-see IMHO. Check out the web site www.speedysbvi.com Then click on Ferry Service and Charters- then "Specials". We did the "Sun and Fun" Special which included everything except the entrance fee to the Baths. (a dollar or two) Make sure you ask for the special that includes lunch if you want to do this. It was beautiful-a memorable experience. Just make sure you double check the return time for the ferry-you wouldn't want to miss it.

For a map of the baths, try www.thebathsbvi.com/map.htm

In Trinidad we did the Princess shore excursion to Maracas Beach. It was well worth the $. Gave us a wonderful tour of the city-a trip through the mountains and a beautiful beach day. It helped that our tour guide was outstanding.

Enjoy your cruise. The Sea Princess is our favorite and we think the itinerary can't be beat.

uness you discuss your likes. Such as beach, tourist buildings, distilleries, rain forests etc.

Will try to help you with my tastes...

Tortola - Cane Garden, great beach

St Martaan - Orient Beach

St Lucia - Hacksaw whale watching

St Kitts- ATV rentals, or Marrioot Hotel ot Frigate bay

St Vincent - Waynes boat excursion. (info on feb 3rd roll call)

Barbados - Silver Moon Cat excursion or Evening Cat excursion

Bonaire - Snorkle for sure or Airport beach/Divi Beach/ Kliene Bonaire can be nice

Aruba - Beach (palm, Baby and many more)

Best thing to do is go to links at bottom of home page to destinations you want... "Ports of Call)

Example - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

uness you discuss your likes. Such as beach, tourist buildings, distilleries, rain forests etc.

Will try to help you with my tastes...

Tortola - Cane Garden, great beach

St Martaan - Orient Beach

St Lucia - Hacksaw whale watching

St Kitts- ATV rentals, or Marrioot Hotel ot Frigate bay

St Vincent - Waynes boat excursion. (info on feb 3rd roll call)

Barbados - Silver Moon Cat excursion or Evening Cat excursion

Bonaire - Snorkle for sure or Airport beach/Divi Beach/ Kliene Bonaire can be nice

Aruba - Beach (palm, Baby and many more)

Best thing to do is go to links at bottom of home page to destinations you want... "Ports of Call)

Example - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93

say "hello" to Chris Hackshaw, and tell him we look forward to going with him again in early April.

Kernel Fudge: I don't care where you go....I want to go with you....

Your set-up was so unique and funny I couldn't help but get on board!

Wherever you go...there will be smiles :D and lots of fun so don't sweat it.....

Staying aboard the ship and just hanging around can be fun too!

Don't feel like you have to join the masses...when they leave, you have the ship mostly to yourselves (love that), with a few laggers, to enjoy, relax or join in the activities! I love those days..when I've been to the destination and the cruise becomes more about the ship and "me time!"

Roz

Archived