Passport Question

magnumcoog

My daughter's boyfriend and family has decided to join us on the Grand Princess towards the end of March. They are going to order passports this week. There are only 8 weeks to go before the cruise and they are not going to pay the extra $60 per passport for expedited service. On Princess' website Princess strongly recommends passports, but a passport is not required if I read this correctly. The only issue would be if something happended and they would have to fly home from a port.

I guess my question would be can you still board and leave the ship at the various ports Roatan, Cozumel,MX, Costa Maya,MX, and Belize with only having a birth certificate and photo ID? Would this also be all that Princess would require for embarkation as well?

Thanks

And even if there were a problem and one had to fly home, they'd be allowed to do so. There are exceptions made for emergencies when traveling without a passport, so no need to worry. :) From the TSA.gov site:

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card? Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

But to apply for a passport you must send your bith certificate with the application. They return it once they send you the passport. At least that's what happened when we applied on 1-16.

So if they apply for their passport without expedited service they will need to get another copy of their birth certificate so they can travel if the passport does not arrive in time.

Recent articles state that turn-a-round time is supposed to stay the same at 6 weeks but applications are way up, and I would not count on it.

And even if there were a problem and one had to fly home, they'd be allowed to do so. There are exceptions made for emergencies when traveling without a passport, so no need to worry. :)

Okay, but when the ship docks, aren't they re-entering the United States? I thought that passports are necessary when re-entering the US, no matter what the type of travel you use. If you're returning on a cruise ship, you're coming back into the US, and if passports are required, and it isn't an emergency, then wouldn't it cause a problem with them re-entering the US? At least a delay in checking their other documents.

They should really try to expedite those passports. It's better to be safe than go through any hassle.

And even if there were a problem and one had to fly home, they'd be allowed to do so. There are exceptions made for emergencies when traveling without a passport, so no need to worry. :)

Okay, but when the ship docks, aren't they re-entering the United States? I thought that passports are necessary when re-entering the US, no matter what the type of travel you use. If you're returning on a cruise ship, you're coming back into the US, and if passports are required, and it isn't an emergency, then wouldn't it cause a problem with them re-entering the US? At least a delay in checking their other documents.

They should really try to expedite those passports. It's better to be safe than go through any hassle.

Yes, but the new requirements are for AIR travel starting this year. The land and sea travel passport requirement will not start until next year, if I remember correctly. So it would only be necessary if they need to FLY home in an emergency situation from one of the ports. In which case the exceptions listed on the TSA website would apply.

Thanks all, I just needed piece of mind so I would not worry myself about them not getting passports in time. I will make sure they have official birth certificates at least 2 weeks out, just in case passports do not make it in time. By the way I have not told them that they can get by without passports :-)

And even if there were a problem and one had to fly home, they'd be allowed to do so. There are exceptions made for emergencies when traveling without a passport, so no need to worry. :) From the TSA.gov site:

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card? Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

Unfortunately, this would not work if the individual has never had a passport because there would be no record at the Department of State's database. Also, the airlines will probably will not allow someone to board without proper documentation as the airline could be fined and has to pay for the return of such individual if entry into the US is denied.

Unfortunately, this would not work if the individual has never had a passport because there would be no record at the Department of State's database. Also, the airlines will probably will not allow someone to board without proper documentation as the airline could be fined and has to pay for the return of such individual if entry into the US is denied.

Thanks for posting that. I had no idea and feel so much relieved since this upcoming trip is a birthday surprise for our daughter's 21st birthday and we couldn't get a passport for her since that would ruin the surprise.

Its required for air travel this year not land crossings or cruises.

My daughter's boyfriend and family has decided to join us on the Grand Princess towards the end of March. They are going to order passports this week. There are only 8 weeks to go before the cruise and they are not going to pay the extra $60 per passport for expedited service. On Princess' website Princess strongly recommends passports, but a passport is not required if I read this correctly. The only issue would be if something happended and they would have to fly home from a port.

I guess my question would be can you still board and leave the ship at the various ports Roatan, Cozumel,MX, Costa Maya,MX, and Belize with only having a birth certificate and photo ID? Would this also be all that Princess would require for embarkation as well?

HI THERE:

IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING, AS OF TODAY JAN 23, YOU MUST HAVE A PASSPORT TO EVEN GET ON THE SHIP. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE FLYING YOU CAN GET THAT PASSPORT VERY VERY QUICKLY. BEFORE YOU BOARD THE PLANE HOWEVER THERE IS A PRICE FOR SUCH QUICK SERVICE ($300) I KNOW ALSO THAT THE SHIP CAN GET YOU ONE TOO (NOT SURE HOW MUCH THAT WILL COST)

IF I WERE YOU - I WOULD DEFINITELY FIND OUT FOR SURE WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.

YOU CERTAINLY DON'T WANT ANY SURPRISES

TAKE CARE NOW & HAPPY CRUISING

MYRA

HI THERE:

IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING, AS OF TODAY JAN 23, YOU MUST HAVE A PASSPORT TO EVEN GET ON THE SHIP. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE FLYING YOU CAN GET THAT PASSPORT VERY VERY QUICKLY. BEFORE YOU BOARD THE PLANE HOWEVER THERE IS A PRICE FOR SUCH QUICK SERVICE ($300) I KNOW ALSO THAT THE SHIP CAN GET YOU ONE TOO (NOT SURE HOW MUCH THAT WILL COST)

IF I WERE YOU - I WOULD DEFINITELY FIND OUT FOR SURE WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.

YOU CERTAINLY DON'T WANT ANY SURPRISES

MYRA

Oh gee......please make sure you understand the requirements before telling others. As per the Princess website:

PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS

Please be advised that while originally the U.S. Department of State regulations stipulated that passports would be needed by January 8, 2007 for land and sea travel, recently passed legislation has deferred this date until at least January 1, 2008. However, all passengers traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will still be required to present a valid U.S. passport beginning January 23, 2007. Even if your cruise does not involve air travel outside the U.S., should you be required to unexpectedly depart a vessel prior to the end of the sailing, a passport would be required to re-enter the U.S. by air. As such, Princess Cruises continues to strongly recommend that all passengers are in possession of a passport by January 23, 2007. Information regarding the passport requirements is available at www.travel.state.gov. Foreign nationals should contact their governments for further details.

Many countries require your passport to be valid for six months after the completion of your travel. Check your passport to verify it will be valid for this period of time. Please ensure the name on the passport matches the name on the booking. Additionally, ensure your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time to renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages.

A valid passport is required of all non-U.S. and non-Canadian citizens for all itineraries. It is also required of all U.S. and Canadian citizens sailing on non-domestic itineraries including Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand, Europe, India, Central and South America, South Pacific and Tahiti.

For itineraries ending in 2006 in which a passport is not required, U.S. and Canadian citizens who do not have a valid passport must provide the following proof of citizenship: A naturalization certificate or an original certified birth certificate from the state of their birth (a hospital certificate will not suffice) together with a valid, government-issued photo identification, such as a driver's license. Although recommended, photo identification is not required for those 18 years and younger at the time of printing. U.S. Resident Aliens are required to present, in addition to a valid passport, a valid Alien Resident card. Canadian permanent residents are required to present a valid Permanent Resident card in addition to a valid passport. On domestic cruises, ensure your travel documents are valid through the completion of travel.

Thanks CrusinAgain, for your timely correction. And for anyone else wondering, no, Myra is very much mistaken, one cannot get a passport processed "very very quickly" by either the airlines or the cruiselines and certainly NOT at the dock or airport.

The fastest option is the expedited service offered by the US. State Dept; see the link in Crusin's post above. THAT's who issues passports.

You are correct. A birth certificate and photo ID is all that's required. A passport is required for flying into the US.

Webegone

If we flew to purto rico to get on a cruise nov.2007. would we need a passport to fly back from purto rico to the usa?? I know that purto rico is usa but not the mainland??

Thank you johnny Cruise:)

for anyone else wondering, no, Myra is very much mistaken, one cannot get a passport processed "very very quickly" by either the airlines or the cruiselines and certainly NOT at the dock or airport.

HI:

I NEVER SAID THAT THE ARLINES WILL GET A PASSPORT FOR YOU. I SAID THAT BEFORE YOU FLY, YOU CAN GET A PASSPORT QUICKLY BEFORE YOU BOARD. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AIRLINES ITSELF. THE US GOV IS THERE & HELPING THOSE WHO DIDNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PASSPORTS, AND FOR $300 DOLLARS THEY WILL ISSUE ONE TO YOU ALMOST IMMEDIATLY. IS IT JUST LAX HERE IN SO CALIF DOING THIS? I DON'T THINK SO.

IM JUST OFF THE OCEANIA'S NAUTICAL & THEY HELPED MANY WITH PASSPORT ISSUES BEFORE THE CRUISE & PASSENGERS GOT THEIR PASSPORTS & VISA'S WHEN THEY BOARDED)

I WAS JUST OFFERING A LITTLE HELP FOR SOMEONE THAT ASKED FOR IT - I DON'T WANT TO BE BASHED FROM SOMEONE WHO THINKS I DONT KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

MYRA

Webegone

If we flew to purto rico to get on a cruise nov.2007. would we need a passport to fly back from purto rico to the usa?? I know that purto rico is usa but not the mainland??

Thank you johnny Cruise:)

The US is anywhere that it is part of the US. Hawaii and Alaska are not part of the mainland (granted they are States). Even Guam, the US Virgin Islands, are part of the US.

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html

Dependent areas:

dictionary.jpg listing.jpg

American Samoa, Baker Island, Guam, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Midway Islands, Navassa Island, Northern Mariana Islands, Palmyra Atoll, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Wake Island

note: from 18 July 1947 until 1 October 1994, the US administered the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands; it entered into a political relationship with all four political units: the Northern Mariana Islands is a commonwealth in political union with the US (effective 3 November 1986); the Republic of the Marshall Islands signed a Compact of Free Association with the US (effective 21 October 1986); the Federated States of Micronesia signed a Compact of Free Association with the US (effective 3 November 1986); Palau concluded a Compact of Free Association with the US (effective 1 October 1994)

Archived