Thoughts on Celebrity culture vs. RC

Lany

I am sure that this has been discussed a thousand times, but I cannot get the search function to work...DH and I are seasoned cruisers, having spent most of our cruises on RC, where we loved each one. We are 28 and 30.

We're wanting to do a Mediterranian cruise this year and found an interesting itinerary on Celebrity's Century for 11/12 and booked it.

I have been doing some research on Celebrity and the ports of call, and am starting to wonder if we will not like the experience...DH and I do not like to do formal nights while on cruises for the fact that we have to dress up for work every day and see vacationing as a break from the norm. From what I have read about X to this point, it seems like a lt higher end and from other posts I've read, some X customer's feel that those who do not dress up for formal nights should be banished to their cabins for the evening. Are there casual dining options available to us on those nights?

Just looking for feedback for those who have cruised both RC and X and your thoughts on the subject and any experiences that you have had.

I have not cruised both, but from many cruises on Celebrity I hope I can help you.

You will find many posters on the X board who are traditional cruisers and love the formal atmosphere. They can be a very vocal force. However, once onboard the ship you will find a mix of young more casual people and older more traditional cruisers. I think you would be happy and comfortable on X. We noticed on our cruise in December that the daily listed the recommended dress code whereas it used to be required dress code.

The buffet area is a casual dining option for dinner with waiter service. It is a very good option for those port days you don't feel like rushing to early sitting. I have seen people in there as casual as shorts, but it is probably not a good idea to wear them to the show.

I hope you love Celebrity like we do!

We felt there was not as much to do on Celebrity as RCCL. Like I said we still had a good time but it did have a more "formal" feel. I've read though on these boards that Europe and Med. cruises are more port intensive so maybe the activities on board would'nt be as much of an issue.

On Celebrity the buffet (Windjammer) area becomes a casual dining option at night. Tablecloths, waiter service, window views, limited menu. IMHO it was superior to the dining room, i ate there every night. (Constellation) The food came out HOT, cooked to order, you had your waiter basically all to yourself and all for a suggested $2 gratuity. I loved it and left more each night!:D

The Med itineraries are definitely port intensive, and you don't spend nearly as much time on board the ship.

We've cruised both lines, and I agree with luv2cruz. X is a little less lively in the evenings, but there are compensations for a quieter crowd. The food and service are slightly better on X. I do not think you will be disappointed at all.

As far as dressing for dinner, I wear nice knit outfits that are easy to pack and comfortble. DH brings a sports coat and dress slacks, but only wears a tie on formal nights.

The casual dining is available every night, as stated above, so you can eat there if you choose.

Enjoy your cruise! We are going back for our third European cruise 3 months from now on the Millie. It's a great way to see Europe.

I started by cruising on RCCL when I was in my teens. I went with X in my early 20's and really enjoyed it. Yes, it is more formal than RCCL. It is supposed to be - they are both owned by the same parent company and Celebrity is marketed as the higher-end line. I do find it more formal than Royal Caribbean and on the actual formal nights Celebrity will request that you 'maintain formal attire throughout the evening.' You can eat in the usual buffet area for dinner with waiter service as somebody else pointed out without having to dress formally but you will want to still dress - no shorts and sneakers.

Of course this is all true and fair enough but the Med is a different kind of cruise. (Don't be scared, I loved my Mediterranean cruise.) It is VERY port intensive and your days are likely to be extremely long, busy and full of activities, tours, etc. For many of the stops in the Med you will need to dress - no shorts, jeans, shoulders must be covered, etc. So when you are on the ship you are tired and hungry. Fewer activities aren't always a bad thing when you're pooped. There will still be trivia, dancing, etc.

I think you'll have a great time. Don't stress about clothing; you are on vacation!

I started by cruising on RCCL when I was in my teens. I went with X in my early 20's and really enjoyed it. Yes, it is more formal than RCCL. It is supposed to be - they are both owned by the same parent company and Celebrity is marketed as the higher-end line. I do find it more formal than Royal Caribbean and on the actual formal nights Celebrity will request that you 'maintain formal attire throughout the evening.' You can eat in the usual buffet area for dinner with waiter service as somebody else pointed out without having to dress formally but you will want to still dress - no shorts and sneakers.

Of course this is all true and fair enough but the Med is a different kind of cruise. (Don't be scared, I loved my Mediterranean cruise.) It is VERY port intensive and your days are likely to be extremely long, busy and full of activities, tours, etc. For many of the stops in the Med you will need to dress - no shorts, jeans, shoulders must be covered, etc. So when you are on the ship you are tired and hungry. Fewer activities aren't always a bad thing when you're pooped. There will still be trivia, dancing, etc.

I think you'll have a great time. Don't stress about clothing; you are on vacation!

Archived