My First Oceania Cruise

Saga Ruby

Thank you kindly for your informative reply. David Jones, which you mentioned, seemd to be the dorminant department store in Australia. For the four cities we visited, Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Perth, David Jones seemed to be everywhere (if I remembered correctly).

Most buildings in the centre of Melbourne seem to have a walk-through shopping arcade on the ground floor. If you walk through one and cross a street, there is often immediately another one "linking" to it. This seems to be a special feature in the design of your city blocks, which is good, in that you can stay away from the sun (except for crossing a street). Some four blocks from the Westin, there is this two-block-long "Chinatown" which is considered a tourist attraction. We had "dim sum" there and it was nice.

In 2001, the A$1 = 48UScents, it was the best time for us to tour Australia. Now with A$1 = 78UScents, perhaps it is a wonderful time for you to tour the USA! Unfortunately, Oceania does not seem to have cruises in America, but there are other lines which cruise the east and the west coast (especially repositioning cruises).

Meow,

We have just spent our last 3 cruises leaving from the U.S. In July, 2005 we went to New York for a week and then after 3 days in Boston left on HAL's Maasdam to Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, Shetland Islands, Norway and finished in Rotterdam.

Then in January last year we flew to L.A. and Miami before flying down to Rio to board our ship, the Regal Princess which took us to South America and Antarctica before finishing in Chile. After visiting Machu Picchu and doing a cruise around the Galapagos Islands we flew back to L.A. and spent 3 days there before flying home.

Then in September/October we once again flew across the Pacific to Vancouver via L.A. and after a few days boarded HAL's Veendam and went down the West coast of the U.S. Mexico, Costa Rica and through the Panama Canal and up the Amazon before finishing in Tampa after 34 days. We then flew to San Francisco for a few days before returning home.

So you can see that we have been busy visiting your country. We are returning to Europe in September after a two year break and are looking forward to visiting Ireland for the first time and Italy for the fifth time.

Jennie

Gosh, you and DH are travelin' fools! More power to you.

I'll swap with you - when the pax got back to the ship in Dubai, each and every one of them said they were so glad to have seen the Dubai Museum which talks about the history of the area. I had lunch with a friend that day so didn't do any sightseeing, other than a drive-by at the Burj Al Arab. But the Museum was talked about quite a bit and I'm sorry I missed it.

I can highly recommend the Boardwalk restaurant by the Park Hyatt on Dubai Creek. It is attached to the Dubai Golf & Yacht Club. My friend and I had a great lunch sitting outside in the bright sun and watching the arras (water taxis) chug around the area. Food was fine.

Greenland? I'll be there in August. Dover, Greenland, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Orkney Islands, Dover. Do you have any comments about what you saw or did? I'm in this cruise strictly for the icebergs. I've been to Svalbard (Spitzbergen) two years ago but am keen to see icebergs in Disko Bay. Anything you can pass along will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ruby

Ruby,

In Greenland we called in at Nuuk, I think it is their major town but it is tiny. On Greenland there are no trees and very little vegetation. The snow had melted in Nuuk and the houses were all painted in bright colours. We walked around the entire town, had a look at their major church and saw the market which was as you can imagine full of seals, whales etc as they do live off the sea. I couldn't bear to look but quite a few passengers went inside and watched the men cut up these beautiful mammals.

There were no tours organized and it was a tender port.

The next day was the highlight of that entire cruise as we cruised through Prince Christian Sound. We spent the day cruising through this beautiful area and we did see lots of icebergs. They are the small blue green ones, unlike the huge wide ones of Antarctica. It is a photographers dream, and we took so many photos.

You will enjoy this cruise, though it is what we call a cold weather one and you need to pack warm clothes even though it is August. We had very calm seas, the only time it was rough was in the area near where the Titanic sank which was between Newfoundland and Greenland.

Jennie

Ruby,

I forgot to mention Iceland which is such a contrast to Greenland. We docked at Reykjavik and took a ship's tour to the Blue Lagoon, the President's church, a fishing village and then onto Thingvellir National Park before returning to Reykjavik and seeing some of the city sights.

It is such an interesting country with some many thermal pools, volcanoes etc. I wish we could have had an overnight there as Reykjavik is a lovely city.

Seeing the Blue Thermal pool is a must and quite a few passengers went for a dip in it.

Jennie

Hi Aussie Gal, we will be in Dubai for only a couple of nights. One night with a friend and one night ( for the experience) the Burj. We are planning on taking the Dune tour and to visit the gold, spice and fabric souks.

I see you are going to Tahiti - it is paradise. We were there for new year and I left home saying that it is the last time but once I was there I knew we would be back. We were on the Paul Gauguin and it is a wonderful experience.

Enjoy!

Miriam

Hi Miriam,

Thanks for your info regarding Dubai. I will keep the Dune tour in mind for next year.

We were in Tahiti in March, 2004 and it was the best cruise we had done to that stage. I just loved the islands and wasn't disappointed with what I had imagined them to be.

This time we are again starting in Papeete and cruising to Hawaii which is a first for us. It is a great itinerary as we will once again visit Moorea, Bora Bora and Raitea before cruising north to Hilo, Maui, Kauai and finishing in Honolulu.

We are spending 3 days precruise in Papeete and 5 days post crusie in Honolulu. Cannot wait until June!

Jennie

You said, "You will enjoy this cruise, though it is what we call a cold weather one and you need to pack warm clothes even though it is August."

On my cruise to Far North in June 2005, by the time we got to Longyearbyen on Svalbard, the wind was blowing at about 20 mph with light snow blowing almost horizontally. Our shuttle bus passed by reindeer grazing in the yard of the Radisson Polar North. When we left Magdalene Bay after seeing polar bears, we could not continue north because the North Pole ice pack was too solid. We had to take the long way round to get to Nordkapp in Norway.

From Dover, I went on to Paris via the Eurostar to do some shopping and caught the sales at Bouchara so came home with fine French silks. But packing for the North Pole then enjoying July in Paris was quite the packing challenge. On that Far North adventure it was strange to be sailing for 2-3 days to get "down" to the Arctic Circle.

Disko Bay in Greenland is right across the "street" from Ilulissat, far north of Nuuk, so I hope to see some major icebergs. Thanks so much for the information about Nuuk and Reykjavik. The Blue Thermal pool sounds lovely and I've put it on my "must see" list. I know that Iceland is green and Greenland is ice, so I'm ready for my Greenland adventure.

Your kind notes have made me want to see Melbourne. I promise to get out of the airport on my next visit to Tassie. Enjoy your Tahitian vacation - it sounds wonderful.

Happy sails!

Ruby

Ruby, what cruiseline did you use when you did the Far North? I have always wanted to do that trip. My daughter did a trip on an icebreaker to the high arctic in Canada and Greenland - Kapitan Klebnikov. They had three helicopters on board for excursions as there were no ports so far up north. A couple of times when they got iced up the helicopter had to view the ice thickness from up there and the icebreaker would then get into into action. Quark Expeditions was on their ship as well - I found it too pricey forme. She went as part of a school trip.

Miriam

In all the cruises I've ever been on, that Far North, Norwegian Fjords voyage was the hall of famer. In honor of that cruise, I use the screen name of Saga Ruby. Nobody in the States has ever heard of Saga Cruises. When I talk about my cruise to Far North on Saga Cruises, the Stateside people look at me like, "Oh you poor thing!"

Saga has two ships - Saga Ruby and Saga Rose. They were built in the 60s, sailed as the deservedly famous Sagafjord and Vistafjord for many years and were (and are) top of the line - refurbished completely in 2005. The only difference between Saga and Oceania is that O has the newer ships but in food, service, and style, I'm always happy to be on Saga. Having said that, Saga is not in any way a cheap ticket to buy.

The Russian icebreaker used to be very expensive and quite sparse in accommodations, so I was happy to be on Saga which put on quite a party when we got to the Land of the Midnight Sun - a full buffet, dancing, entertainment out on deck by the empty swimming pool at midnight. As I said, we went as far as the North Pole ice shelf, but we did not go as far as the Kapitan Klebnikov.

Our Saga Ruby captain said that, in the 6 years he had been doing this once-a-year itinerary, they had never seen polar bears, so you cannot count on that. A British chap on the CCritic forum was on the Sea Princess at the exact same time and day as I was, and they never saw the bears because that ship is too large to come into Magdalene Bay.

Saga offers exquisite itineraries. On this same cruise, I sailed in an exact Viking boat replica out to an island in Norway, we did the "Norway in a Nutshell" out of Bergen which was not to be missed, on and on.

If you think it's hard to get accommodations on Oceania because it has only 3 ships, think of trying to book exotic itineraries with avid British fans, and only 2 ships plus their requirement that all pax be over age 50! Here in the States, we have to "step in time" like Mary Poppins to book passage on those Saga sisters. You can find them at www.sagacruises.com.

You must promise that, if you do sail on Saga, you'll tell me how it went. Don't forget the age requirement - many people are left out because of that one. But it gives them something to look forward to.

Happy sails, Emdee,

Ruby

Ruby,

Our friend, Captain Stephen Card, lectures on the Saga Ruby occasionally and will be on it when it leaves Australia next month. We met him last week for lunch on the Statendam and he was singing the praises of that ship.

We are definitely going to look into some of the itineraries at a later date as he has won us over. It does sound a wonderful ship experience.

Jennie

As you know, Stephen Card has become a famous maritime artist and appears on the CCritic forums as "Prinsendam." I have never met him and am envious of your friendship. I know he lives in Oz and has a second home (family home) in Bermuda. I wish I could fill a place at table for lunch with you, DH and him on the Statendam. ;)

I'm thrilled to hear you might consider Saga. To read more, you can try this URL - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=295371&highlight=Saga+Ruby

It is so hard to find information on Saga and her ships. You are way ahead of the game to have had the chat with Captain Card. You will see that one poster complains about the age of the pax - yes, they are older, probably equivalent to the Cunard Queens crowd. But I always learn from their vast experiences and memories plus the British atmosphere lends itself to an air of civility practically now a ghost on many American mass market ships. I find that (and the ships) quite appealing.

Kind regards,

Ruby

Thanks for the information Ruby. I do hope that we will get to the Taj Mahal but if not at least we have the name of a good driver to show us around Mumbai.

We also love Tasmania but you have missed out on not visiting our beautiful city. Yesterday my DH and myself were fortunate in being able to visit the Statendam to have lunch whilst it was here. We used public transport to get down to the Dock and when we arrived we thought to ourselves what a great city to visit. There was absolutely no rubbish anywhere, the trip from the city was less than 10 minutes by light rail and it is a great port to welcome a visitor to a big city.

Melbourne together with Vancouver and Vienna has been voted many times one of the most liveable cities in the world. It is so easy to get around and all of our sporting arenas are just so close to everything.

Next time you make your way "down under" please call into Melbourne and I will personally take you around for the day. It will be my pleasure to show you our lovely city.

Jennie

Jennie...found you because we are taking our first Oceania cruise in April 07...and was interested in this thread..we are going Athens to Venice..but..we are also going Sydney to Auckland (with a day in Melbourne) in Feb 08 and noticed you live in Melbourne..I lived in Adelaide for a year (88) and have been to Sydney several times as well as Perth..but never make it to Melbourne..at least at that time it was so expensive to fly within OZ..and (except for work) just did not have the funds to do so!...was wondering if you would be interested in offering a chance to spend part of a day with you in Melbourne?...we did that with another CC'er this past December in Munich...someone we had met through CC and had the greatest time!...would love to buy you lunch/drinks/dinner and just have a chance to visit ..in order to meet a real Melbournian (is that the right term!?) Hope I haven't over-stepped my bounds here? if I have please just tell me so..I live in Southern California...and you know how we are?!! LuAnn

LuAnn,

It would be my pleasure to take you and your DH (or friend) around Melbourne next February.

A couple of years or so ago I gave a foursome from the C.C. Board a mini tour of our city. We have kept in touch over the years and they have become dear friends.

Melbourne is a lovely city very different from Adelaide which is so much quieter and of course more English or European than Sydney.

You will have to read up and let me know what you would like to see. At least you have 12 months before you come "down here".

If you can give me your email address we can work out a plan for the day.

Jennie

LuAnn,

It would be my pleasure to take you and your DH (or friend) around Melbourne next February.

A couple of years or so ago I gave a foursome from the C.C. Board a mini tour of our city. We have kept in touch over the years and they have become dear friends.

Melbourne is a lovely city very different from Adelaide which is so much quieter and of course more English or European than Sydney.

You will have to read up and let me know what you would like to see. At least you have 12 months before you come "down here".

Jennie

Ruby,

You would have loved our lunch the other day. The Pinnacle Grill (which is the fee paying restaurant) was opened especially for us. Just the 3 of us and 3 waiters plus the Maitre'd. We had a delightful lunch, Stephen is a great host and we did feel very special.

Thanks for the link. I have been to the website of Saga so know a little about their ships besides what Stephen has told us.

Jennie

I'm so happy that this thread has accomplished a "hands across the border" effect with Jennie, Emdee, and now LuAnn. That is the bright shining star of good message boards like this one.

The Captain of the Nautica, at the end of my cruise in Singapore, stood at the top of the gangway and shook everyone's hand, wishing us safe passage. I told him I really liked his ship and he said, "I do too!"

Oceania is a class act, well run, and I look forward to my next cruise on this excellent line.

Happy sails, everybody!

Ruby

I do agree with you again re the Captain being personable - but he flat refused to blow the ship's whistle!

I asked about that, and he said he not only would not blow the whistle, but he would not ring the ship's bell for the Noon Navigation Report.

He was a very good sport out at the Deck Party.

LuAnn,

Jennie

Thank you so much! Our email is kilgast at cox dot net ..also we were on the Tahitian Princess in July 06 (did the 10 days around the islands..RT Papette) so would be glad to answer any questions/help in that respect! As you know, it was an "R" ship..we loved the size of it and met many new friends while on board who live in NZ..in fact..that is one of the reasons we are doing the cruise in 08 ..to visit them in Christchurch and Auckland! Again..thank you for accepting to help us out! and...any help you need re the Tahitian cruise..and/or West Coast/So Cal/ etc..more than happy to help!! LuAnn

• 1 year later...
His number is 9821180080. On his business card, it says he can also be reached thru his friend, Krishna the Jeweler, at krishnagems.hotmail.com.

Happy sails,

Ruby

Ruby,

I didn't want to take over Johnny and Diane's wonderful posts with another question for you so found this older topic of yours. I have sent an email to Jimmy but cannot get through to Krishna Jewelry Store with a fax. The number you gave me was 92 22 2269 2647. Have I got it correct? I wanted to try both ways of communicating with him to be on the safe side.

I tried all yesterday but to no avail. The number was busy the whole time which didn't seem quite right! Thanks. :)

Jennie

This is our first Oceania Cruise (4/26-5/10 Barcelona-Istanbul) now, do we have to make reservations for dinner at the regular restaurants? I understand what we have to do for the Specialty ones (book as soon as we get on board!!) but what about for the others? If you want to be seated at a larger table with others do you just ask to be seated like that?

How does O dis-embark people on the last day? And what about embarkation?

Thank you, S&K

No, you don't need to make a reservation for dinner at the Grand Dining Room. Just show up. We usually eat around 8:00 and the longest we ever waited for a table was 5 minutes. If you want to join other people at a larger table, just ask the Maitre'D -- or start a conversation with the folks in line at the Maitre'D station. Oceania passengers are, as a rule, very friendly!

Archived