QM2 Table for two?

Bojeanne

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to secure a table for two in Brittania? I am on a "request" list, but I understand that tables for two are at a premium. I was told I could not book one prior to embarkation. Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,

Bojeanne

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best way to secure a table for two in Brittania? I am on a "request" list, but I understand that tables for two are at a premium. I was told I could not book one prior to embarkation. Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,

Bojeanne

This is QE2 experience, but I guess it is probably reliable.

Tables for two are always at a premium, especially for those who aren't regulars.

Some passengers will be allocated their normal table. They don't really need to request it, because the restaurant will know.

Otherwise it will be a lottery. Metaphorically that is.

If you're on a good table, it is almost better than being on a table for two. But if you're not......

I've been really lucky. Every trip I've been on with my wife we've either had our normal table or we've had a table solely for our party.

Both times I've travelled without her, I have had a lovely time on a larger table. Especially this winter on the transatlantic.

Most people are nice, so ask for a table for two or eight. Eight will almost guarantee some people you'll like. Two is of course lovely for a couple.

You can email the ship, but I doubt that would have much effect if you aren't known.

Matthew

Thanks,

Bojeanne

immediately upon embarkation go see the maitre'd introduce yourself and ask him if it is at all possibel to have a quiet table for two!!! if necessary tell him you will both be much happier if you have a table for two and follow up with a nice gratuity !!! whats another $ 20 or $ 50 dollars if it will make you happy!!! ( works for me every time) ps< all you nay sayers need not respond!!!!!!!!!!! good luck

immediately upon embarkation go see the maitre'd introduce yourself and ask him if it is at all possibel to have a quiet table for two!!! if necessary tell him you will both be much happier if you have a table for two and follow up with a nice gratuity !!! whats another $ 20 or $ 50 dollars if it will make you happy!!! ( works for me every time) ps< all you nay sayers need not respond!!!!!!!!!!! good luck

Perhaps they could hold an auction?

Matthew

PS Not sure if this makes me a "nay sayer" but this doesn't sit well with me........

Immediately upon embarkation go see the maitre'd introduce yourself and ask him if it is at all possible to have a quiet table for two!

Check the card in your cabin to see which table you've got. If you don't like it you must head straight to the Restaurant - at Christmas there was a long queue of people wanting to change to tables for two - make sure that you're first in that queue.

Having just travelled on the QM2 I can tell you that there is no problem getting a table for 2 (Cost me nothing although I did tip him afterwards) We even joined friends some evenings and then returned to our own table for 2 the next.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We requested a table for 2 on the QM2 (Transatlantic) when we placed our booking via a travel agent about 6 months in advance. This was confirmed when we got to our cabin (5251 - a D6) and saw our assignment card.

It was our first voyage with Cunard - we were on a wedding anniversay / birthday trip, so not sure if this influenced our allocation or not.

Certainly no tipping required.

Hi,

We booked six months before our last cruise on the QM2 and requested a table for 2.

We were actually placed on a table for four (set for 2) and had it to ourselves for the whole of the cruise.

I suggest that when you embark check out your table assignment and if necessary have a word with the maitre'd - personally I wouldn't try and 'bribe' him with a tip, it seems demeaning to me and might to him as well.

If he can sort out your request I'm sure he will.

Last year was our first cruise. Went on the QE2. requested a table for 6 or 8 months in advance. We actually got a table for 4 with the couple from hell. We are going again this October on QE2. Booked a table for 2 to take no chances and it will be the first thing we check on arrival. Seems strange to me that we can go into any hotel and request a table for 2 and get one yet on a cruise ship we can be forced to endure bad company for the duration. Not in my mind what holidays are about. As they say "thats life"

My wife and I were on the QM2 for a crossing last summer. We had the worst table stuffed away in some back area of Britannia that appears to be used as an overload/private function room. There were maybe 10 tables in the room, and it had sliding doors to close it off from the rest of the dining room if required. We asked for a different table and were told they couldn't help us. We are going this April again on the QM2 and this time with our 15 month old daughter and my parents. If they stick us in this room again, I am going to flip out. We have taken our turn getting stiffed.

My wife and I were on the QM2 for a crossing last summer. We had the worst table stuffed away in some back area of Britannia that appears to be used as an overload/private function room. There were maybe 10 tables in the room, and it had sliding doors to close it off from the rest of the dining room if required. We asked for a different table and were told they couldn't help us. We are going this April again on the QM2 and this time with our 15 month old daughter and my parents. If they stick us in this room again, I am going to flip out. We have taken our turn getting stiffed.

Hi Jonmar

These 2 areas (one port, one starboard) will be used for the new "AA" grade of cabin aka "Britannia Club" dining areas. I think this comes into operation April 17th (someone correct me). So, if you've booked "AA" grade after that date that's where you'll be seated again. The "AA" cabins are all the Deck 12 outside ones except the forward 10 cabins (nos 12001-12010).

I requested a table for two in Britannia 6-8 months before my crossing and got a superb one on deck 3 overlooking the central well.

Hope this helps

Hi Jonmar

These 2 areas (one port, one starboard) will be used for the new "AA" grade of cabin aka "Britannia Club" dining areas. I think this comes into operation April 17th (someone correct me). So, if you've booked "AA" grade after that date that's where you'll be seated again. The "AA" cabins are all the Deck 12 outside ones except the forward 10 cabins (nos 12001-12010).

I requested a table for two in Britannia 6-8 months before my crossing and got a superb one on deck 3 overlooking the central well.

Hope this helps

Thanks Pepper; I thought I'd worked this out from earlier posts, and you've confirmed it. Apart from the more liberal dining times, why would anyone want to pay more and sit there?

I bore it in mind when I told my TA that I didn't want an upgrade from my carefully chosen cabin on Deck 11; glad I did.

Mary

... Seems strange to me that we can go into any hotel and request a table for 2 and get one yet on a cruise ship we can be forced to endure bad company for the duration...

Absolutely, old boy! They spend hundreds of millions of pounds employing marine architects and designers and they can come up with ice-skating rinks, rock climbing, and probably deep-sea diving under the theatre. But ask them for a table for two and you may as well be asking for the ruddy Crown Jewels.

My friend Jonquil Carruthers has the answer; books a Duplex or a Queen's Suite and dines privately in his suite from the Queen's Grill menu. That way the situation doesn't arise and you avoid the hoi-polloi - so problem solved!

Have a good trip.

Archived