Live From the pre cruise Oosterdam

cruisinjudy

Ok this one is a little different. I probably won’t keep it up on the ship. I tend to be more of a reader than a writer! And I am frustrated by the slow ship connections.

We are former San Diegans so we are staying in San Diego for a few days before the cruise to see old friends.

We started on Monday by leaving our house near Portland at 1PM to catch the Coast Starlight from Portland to San Diego, a one and a half day trip. Bad start, the train would be late as the engine was having power problems, they would switch engines in Portland before taking off again. We were directed to the Metropolitan lounge for sleeping car passengers to wait for our train.

We were allowed to board while they did the engine switch so we were shown to our bedroom by Lonnie who was to be our steward for our day and a half or so on board. Our accommodations consisted of a room with toilet and shower. It could sleep three cozily!

We finally started on our way at least an hour and a half late, but we were invited to wine tasting in the parlor car hosted by Lonnie. We ended up having four or even more quite generous tastings of different California wines with commentary by Lonnie. A good time was had by all and we enjoyed meeting other sleeping car passengers. Lonnie assured us we could makeup the time we were running late.

We then went to dinner, included in the price for sleeping car dwellers. I had ravioli with chocolate bundt cake for dessert. Not bad. We sat with a widow traveling by herself and we had a delightful time talking.

Then back to our room to read and get our room made up. We had a small upper bunk and a larger lower bunk. I climbed up top as the light was better for reading. I didn’t sleep well, the bed was a little short for me as I am almost six feet tall.

We woke up in Marysville, or did I even sleep at all! Now we are two hours behind. I don’t know what went on during the night but we did sit still here and there.

We succeeded with our showers in the combo toilet shower that suggests you shower while sitting on the toilet! There is another option, you can go downstairs in your pjs and shower in the shared bathrooms. Those showers are normal looking, we checked them out but didn’t actually try them. Then on to breakfast. I had quiche and hash browns. It was pretty good accompanied by good conversation with other passengers.

Back to the room to gaze outside and read. I finished my book today and we experienced many delays. One was a crash between a train in front of us and a car on the tracks. We had to wait for that to be cleared and the tracks checked for safety.

Other delays involved waiting on side tracks while northbound trains passed. And sometimes no explanation.

Lunch, again sitting with other passengers we enjoyed getting to know. I had pizza, forget that one! And I had to remind them that they forgot my salad. I had coffee for dessert. I am sure I said fruit not coffee, oh well!

Back to the room for napping and gazing and reading until wine tasting! Another generously poured wine sampling hosted by Lonnie, who also sampled the grape! Great discussions with fellow sleeping car passengers. Also cheese and crackers.

Dinner at 6:30. I ordered ragout, this was good! And cheesecake for dessert. Good company wit other passengers sitting with us.

Off to sleep for a while as there is no way we would get to LA by 9PM. We were running four hours late. Awakened at 10:00 to the news we were being put off the train in Santa Barbara to be bused to San Diego due to repairs being done in the Chatsworth tunnel. Oh no! Five hours on a bus in the middle of the night. No sleep there! Turns out it was announced on our way to dinner, but we couldn’t hear the announcement!

Arrived San Diego at 3:30 AM and walked to the Holiday Inn by the Bay as it is only a few blocks from the train depot. I had already canceled our Tuesday night room since we wouldn’t be there. We sat in the lobby until someone showed up at the front desk. I went up to ask what would be the earliest we could get into our room. The front desk took pity and we were given a room on the fourth floor of the south tower overlooking the cruise port. Yes! We can watch Oosterdam sail in on Saturday! The room is a nice large king bed room with a balcony.

My husband took a shower and we went to have breakfast. The Elephant and Castle wasn’t open yet, so we went next door to a Hazelwoods on the Bay. This is an order at the counter type restaurant. Cinnamon French toast and sausage wasn’t bad, but the bread was not soaked in the egg long enough.

Then we were off to Enterprise to get our rental car. My husband would be off this morning to the east county to meet with his old breakfast buddies and I would SLEEP! Finally!

For lunch we walked over to Anthony’s by the Sea and I had delicious crab cakes! Tonight I am off to play bunco with my old group!

More later

A few more words for today before I am off to my Bunco group.

The weather here in San Diego is picture perfect today!!!!!

We are doing this cruise back to back. The first week we are cruising with friends we have cruised with before. The second week we will be with all new people.

A few more words for today before I am off to my Bunco group.

The weather here in San Diego is picture perfect today!!!!!

We are doikng this cruise back to back. The first week we are cruising with friends we have cruised with before. The second week we will be with all new people.

Judy:

Please pardon my ignorance (I lead a dismally narrow life) but what is "Bunco"? Thanks, and glad you have a two week b2b on Oosterdam to look forward to!:)

Karin

Bunco is a dice game. We play it mainly to have time to chat and have a great time. I hear other groups are more serious! We have twelve in our group, three tables of four. At each table there are two teams. You take turns tossing the three dice and get points for your tema for three of a kind or Bunco which is three of a kind of the featured number. That gives you 21 points! When the head table reaches 21 everyone switches partners and tables. At the end of the evening the winners get prizes. Different groups do this differently. Some have money prizes and some have purchased prizes. You win as an individual not as a team. It is all very easy and leaves loads of time to talk and eat and laugh!!!!

Have a great time Judy!!:D

Look forward to hearing all about your B2B on the O!! You know the bed is going to be much more comfortable and the shower a bit more spacious than the train!!

Have a great week in San Diego!!

Hi Judy we are looking forward to meeting you on the Oosterdam next Saturday.. Keep posting if you can and let us know where you think a good place to meet would be.. Sounds like you are starting out with lots of excitement.. How neat to go to San Diego a week early.. Enjoy your week !!

Rhonda

Enjoyed your story immensely Judy. I have a question; Will you be flying home or taking the train again? Jes' wondering. :D

Have a great time catching up with your old cronies. Hope you are taking the time to check our thread as we are all invited to a sailaway party in Mazatlan. Sounds like great fun.

C U Saturday!! :cool:

Vada

Hi Rat,

How's it going? Long time no see. OK I guess it was just April! I think I waved as we went by....no.... I think I was trying to sleep!

Hi Bag Lady,

Even longer since I saw you, but I do see you on the boards!

Hi Ocean Fantasies, I will see you soon!!!

Had a good time with my Bunco friends in Jamul last night.

They made me promise Iwould let them know whenever I was going to be in San Diego so they could plan to have Bunco!

Ah sleep! I slept like a log last night!! Finally! And awoke to another glorious day in SD!!!!!!!!!! Off to the Elephant and Castle for breakfast today, as soon as I finish my coffee!!

Judy after reading about your train adventure now I am not sure we should do it. My husband and I live in the San Fernando Valley north of LA and we thought we would take the train from Van Nuys to San Diego but now I am not so sure. We figured the gas and parking and the train was better. We were going to leave at 8:50am and get to San Diego around 12:30 to get to the Ryndam. Do you think this is a good idea??

Kathy

Kathy,

It is a great idea,.....except......it could be late! It might be doable if you check on things in themorning and keep driving as a possibility. That route doesn't have nearloy the possibilities for delays as coming all the way from Portland. You could check to see if the train is running on time and be ready to drive if necessary. It really is a pleasant way to travel. We took the train from Portland to Seattle for a cruise and reallly enjoyed it.

Lisa,

I think I forgot to acknowledge you as the first responder! Maybe we will be on the sane Oosterdam cruise some day.

Vada Patatah,

Yep! I will be seeing you soon! Be prepared!

Tinknock,

I have read many of your threads, I will certainly try to keep this up and write more.

We had a lovely breakfast at Elephant and CAstle. I had the cinnamon roll French toast requested with plenty of soak time in the egg, and bacon on the side, crisp please! With OJ on ice and coffee. All very good!

Off to sight see today.

Thank you Judy. We were going to buy our tickets online but I think we should wait until we get to the Van Nuys Station to buy them and be prepared to drive. Not as far for us but it would be nice to take the train.

Have a great trip and may all your water be smooth!

Kathy

Sailorgirl,

Yes, you really want a roomette! You will enjoy the experience as long as you have patience!

We went to Seaport Village today, shopped around and had Ben and Jerry's for lunch!:D Oh yes, we went to Horton Plaza first! Both places have paid parking but if you buy something they will validate your parkng stub. I think it is for three hours at Horton Plaza and two hours at Seaport. You could also walk to either of these places from the pier, especially Seaport Village. Horton Plaza would be a bit of a walk.

Now it is time for a nap.

Rhonda- You haven't checked in our roll call for this cruise yet! I am making name tags for our CruiseCritic gathering. Either let me have your names here, or check in on the Roll Call for HAL. OK? I sure don't want to leave you out!!!

Vada

Judy, What a nice idea to share your pre-cruise experience with us. I want to get to a bookstore for a Spanish phrasebook, and I was thinking of looking at Horton plaza. Please add my voice to those asking for anyone sailing with us 1/27, who hasn't yet, to post to the roll call:) . Warm Regards, Catherine

Well shoot Rhonda! You're on the wrong cruise!!

Maybe we will pass as ships in the night as I am dragged off the ship and you are skipping merrily up the boarding ramp! Bummer! Way too soon to be thinking of our cruise ending!! :o

Vada

Well shoot Rhonda! You're on the wrong cruise!!

Maybe we will pass as ships in the night as I am dragged off the ship and you are skipping merrily up the boarding ramp! Bummer! Way too soon to be thinking of our cruise ending!! :o

Vada

Lol Vada, that is funny.. We can wave at each other.. Maybe we will meet on another HAL ship soon.

Rhonda

Archived