searching for air fares too soon?

saleaaway

We are traveling to SJ from Cleveland, OH Feb. 22 and returning on March 4. I purchased our tickets last April 29 to be exact for 351.00 pp. They have not gone down at all and I checked yesterday and the same flights were 628.00 pp. When flights come out for your dates and you feel they are a good deal, times and dates are right, I say go for it!!!!!!!

Well, in part, it depends on whether "low cost carriers" are a viable option. Some LCC's have a 6 month window whereas for Southwest Airlines it can be as short as 3 months. So, you can either wait until their schedules open up or do a proxy check on what their fares might be now and compare them to those being offered by more standard, legacy carriers.

If you are going to fly out on President's week, I would wait. I'm booked for this year. I checked for flights from Charlotte to San Juan. US Air was going to be at least $900, so I booked the cruise air. Bad mistake. The same US air flight is now about $300 for a direct flight. I'm flying cruise air on 2 different airlines with bad times.:mad: I still may opt for a one way fair going down for about $150 with taxes and fees.

I would start looking at fares now so you have a sense of what a "good" fare is.

And then once the booking window opens, you can act when you see a fare and flight that fits your needs.

As noted, the legacy airlines open up booking about 330 days outs. Southwest only opens up bookings about 3-6 months advance. So you may have to figure out if it is worth booking on the legacy airlines now or wait it out for when Southwest & the other discounters put their tickets on sale.

I would also check out farecast.com to get a sense for the range of prices using February 2007 flight dates as a reference point (they can only forecast 90 days out and at least you can benchmark vs. what fares are now for seasonality).

Archived