Can a confirmed room be upgraded?

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

We are going on our second cruise in March, and I was wondering about something that I haven't found in other posts. When we went on our first cruise in November, we booked the cheapest room category available and when we got our papers we were on the Lido deck, and we loved it. I assume we got lucky with the upgrade, especially since it was our first cruise.

For our 2nd cruise, my wife wanted to be in the same location, so this time I booked a specific room. Is the only way you get upgraded by Princess to book a guaranteed category and not a specific room? I'm fine with what we booked (interior room), but wouldn't complain if they moved us to an exterior room on the same deck.

Mike

Hi folks,

We are going on our second cruise in March, and I was wondering about something that I haven't found in other posts. When we went on our first cruise in November, we booked the cheapest room category available and when we got our papers we were on the Lido deck, and we loved it. I assume we got lucky with the upgrade, especially since it was our first cruise.

For our 2nd cruise, my wife wanted to be in the same location, so this time I booked a specific room. Is the only way you get upgraded by Princess to book a guaranteed category and not a specific room? I'm fine with what we booked (interior room), but wouldn't complain if they moved us to an exterior room on the same deck.

Mike

If you book a confirmed room - Princess asks you (or your agent) "if an upgrade is available, would you (or your client) want to accept it". And you or your TA answers yes or no.

So, yes, you can be upgraded from a confirmed room.

Though - you could very easily be upgraded to a much lower deck. A window on Plaza deck would be an upgrade from an inside on Lido deck.

As Coral said you can be upgraded if you have a confirmed room. On our 6th Princess cruise we were upgraded from a mini to a suite. Now that was nice. But DO NOT expect an upgrade all of the time. Around here we call them the "upgrade fairy", and 95% of the time you do not get upgraded.

Marilyn

As the others have said, if you like your cabin and don't want to move, make sure your TA has "no upgrade" marked on your booking. If you would accept an upgrade, have your TA leave your booking with "will accept upgrade." Keep in mind that the default for all bookings is to accept an upgrade so make sure, if you don't want to change, your TA marks your booking accordingly.

It seems as though anyone can be upgraded at any time, whether you have a specific cabin booked or have a GTY. I think it's based on supply and demand for different categories. I haven't seen any real rhyme or reason.

Archived