Royal Caribbean Visa Card

corsies

This is a great post and thanks..........we all made some bad decisions along the way...........my hat is off to you............

And cash isn't a bad thing...............

I found her post to be quite enlightening and refreshing. Something other than focusing on being an excellent customer with excellent credit. We all learn by our mistakes, as hard as it may be......and we become all the more wiser because of our mistakes........well, some of us anyways!!;)

So....just to clarify one more time....sorry if I am being dense about this....

When points are redeemed, are they redeemed in order earned? For example, if I have 64000 points & I redeem 50000, I am redeeming the points earned from the time I got the card up till the 50000 were earned. Who keeps track of when the 14000 left over began being earned?

You should really try and keep track of your yearly totals by just keeping the statment for December of each year. Does that make sense?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Rorito,

I too have enough points for two free 7 day cruises. This will be my first time using the awards. Can you tell me exactly what the entire process is. When are you going on your 7 day cruise? We are planning a June cruise.

Thanks for your time,

Traci

I found her post to be quite enlightening and refreshing. Something other than focusing on being an excellent customer with excellent credit. We all learn by our mistakes, as hard as it may be......and we become all the more wiser because of our mistakes........well, some of us anyways!!;)

Me too! I appreciated her post and hope other young people see it so they can see how easily things get out of hand. I really wish it was illegal to hound a young person under the age of 21 with credit card offers. It's funny..I can remember when getting my first credit card that it was the COOLEST thing...all of my peers thought so. It was like a rite of passage.

But instead, in reality, it's nothing but an I.O.U. which can turn into a living nightmare in no time flat.

Molly - hang in there!

You guys made me tear up. Sometimes when I've posted about my credit, people rip into me for the decisions I made like I can undo something I did in the early 90s. :( I only hope that when it comes time for my son to go off on his own, he won't be so narrow-minded as to think he could never get himself into financial trouble like I did!

And the worst part about the trouble I had? Most of it was for professional seminars and the airfare to get to them, so I could grow my business (which failed miserably inside of 5 years). Nothing to return or sell so I could pay it off!

Anyway, I always hope that my experiences can help someone else to not be as pigheaded as I was in my early days "on my own".

Still wish there were a secured card so I could get some perks while paying for the things I'd otherwise pay cash for! :) (shoulda' had a secured card in my 20s, it would have saved me tons of grief, and money!)

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

OK Traci, here goes.....I'll give you the info that was given to me.

To redeem your points and get your gift certificates....call 1-800-434-8313 (this is the department within the credit card that handles redeeming points). Tell them how many points you want to redeem and HOW you want to redeem them. Make sure you are very specific on what certificates you want.......as in, certificate for a free 7 day cruise. For 125,000 points you should get a certificate for $2500.00 (for two people) which is what they allow for a 7 day cruise. If your cruise is over that amount, you just pay the difference.

Once you receive your certificate(s) fill them out with all the information that is required, MAKE A COPY OF BOTH THE FRONT AND BACK and send the original to the address on the front, which will be to Wichita, Kansas. If you have gone through a TA, you can also give the completed certificate(s) to him/her.

Certificates must be sent in before final payment is due.....since final payment is usually due approx. 70 days prior to sailing, I would give yourself at least 3 months before sailing to send them in. It takes approximately 45 days to apply once received. The time constraints here might have improved since the inception of the card. You might want to call RCI at the number below and find out exactly how soon the certificates must be received.

Any questions about the certificates once you have sent them in, you can call RCI at 1-888-305-4626.

Take the criticism with a grain of salt. NONE of us are perfect and have NO right to judge. You may not be able to change the past, but you can control your present and future. :) Hang in there and keep your chin up - you have nothing to feel bad about!

Me too! I appreciated her post and hope other young people see it so they can see how easily things get out of hand. I really wish it was illegal to hound a young person under the age of 21 with credit card offers. It's funny..I can remember when getting my first credit card that it was the COOLEST thing...all of my peers thought so. It was like a rite of passage.

But instead, in reality, it's nothing but an I.O.U. which can turn into a living nightmare in no time flat.

Molly - hang in there!

You guys made me tear up. Sometimes when I've posted about my credit, people rip into me for the decisions I made like I can undo something I did in the early 90s. :( I only hope that when it comes time for my son to go off on his own, he won't be so narrow-minded as to think he could never get himself into financial trouble like I did!

And the worst part about the trouble I had? Most of it was for professional seminars and the airfare to get to them, so I could grow my business (which failed miserably inside of 5 years). Nothing to return or sell so I could pay it off!

Anyway, I always hope that my experiences can help someone else to not be as pigheaded as I was in my early days "on my own".

Still wish there were a secured card so I could get some perks while paying for the things I'd otherwise pay cash for! :) (shoulda' had a secured card in my 20s, it would have saved me tons of grief, and money!)

Molly, did you ever think about going to high schools and colleges and talk to young people about this? You know the pros and cons of owning a credit card? Your story might save many from going through what you did. You are a true inspiration. And why should people rip into you............you made a mistake, you righted that mistake and you are a much wiser person now because of that mistake. I think each of us, if we are honest with ourselves can truthfully say that "we've been there and done that"!! You go girl.............;)

Molly, did you ever think about going to high schools and colleges and talk to young people about this? You know the pros and cons of owning a credit card? Your story might save many from going through what you did. You are a true inspiration. And why should people rip into you............you made a mistake, you righted that mistake and you are a much wiser person now because of that mistake. I think each of us, if we are honest with ourselves can truthfully say that "we've been there and done that"!! You go girl.............;)

When I was in my mid-20's, I had about 15 cards...I thought that was soooo neat, until I got a balance on nearly every one of them and couldn't make more than the minimum monthly payments with no end in sight for ever getting them paid off.

Fortunately, my mother bailed me out and I paid her back or I would have never gotten rid of them. I'm very grateful to her for that. She was none too pleased with me over the situation either...but I gratefully took my tongue lashing to get the help.

When I was in my mid-20's, I had about 15 cards...I thought that was soooo neat, until I got a balance on nearly every one of them and couldn't make more than the minimum monthly payments with no end in sight for ever getting them paid off.

Fortunately, my mother bailed me out and I paid her back or I would have never gotten rid of them. I'm very grateful to her for that. She was none too pleased with me over the situation either...but I gratefully took my tongue lashing to get the help.

My daughter had a similar thing happen when she went away to college. She had credit cards sent to her at college and just used them like they were free money. When we finally found out about them, she had acquired quite a bit of debt. We cut up the cards and paid off the debt....only to find that this raised her credit rating and had even more people trying to send her cards:eek: But, she had learned her lesson, and also had gotten a few years older and a little wiser, so she was able to resist.

It was very enlightening...........came from the heart.........wish her nothing but continued success.........

For 125,000 points you should get a certificate for $2500.00 (for two people) which is what they allow for a 7 day cruise. If your cruise is over that amount, you just pay the difference.

If an OV cabin is $899 pp for a 7 day cruise (for a total of $1798), which is the brochure price of many of the 7 day cruises, are you able to apply the balance of $702 towards a balcony, or do port charges and taxes typically make up the difference?

I just cashed in the 125K certificate. I already had my cabin (balcony for 3) booked prior to sending in the points coupon. Since my lowest OV fare was $1249.00 p/p I did get $2500.00 off my invoice. The way it was explained to me from BOA was: The certificate is for the lowest OV for that sailing up to $2500.00. It is not an automatic certficate for the worth of $2500.00 off your total bill! If your sailing date shows the lowest fare of OV to be $899.00 p/p then you will only receive $1798.00 when you use that certificate. So you want to find a cruise that you get the most value from that certificate, by having the lowest fare for OV as close to $1250.00 p/p, otherwise you are not getting the full value of what you could get for the certficate! Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply, pmshirl. That is what I thought. Now for the next question - Are you able to combine your Platinum/Diamond balcony discount with the free cruise?

I just got my card last month and haven't yet received the full information pack. However, I'm already charging as much as I can on the charge and looking at 7 day Caribbean cruises with drooling anticipation!:D Possibly I can use it after my Med cruise in 2009........:cool:

We have had ours for about 3 years. It has been great. Took a free Bahamas cruise and have used it for 2 other upgrades. Very easy to use. Just call the redemption number and they will send you a certificate. You then send it to RCCL. Be sure to allow enough time for this to happen. I generally takes about 2 to 3 weeks for both to happen.:)

I just cashed in the 125K certificate. I already had my cabin (balcony for 3) booked prior to sending in the points coupon. Since my lowest OV fare was $1249.00 p/p I did get $2500.00 off my invoice. The way it was explained to me from BOA was: The certificate is for the lowest OV for that sailing up to $2500.00. It is not an automatic certficate for the worth of $2500.00 off your total bill! If your sailing date shows the lowest fare of OV to be $899.00 p/p then you will only receive $1798.00 when you use that certificate. So you want to find a cruise that you get the most value from that certificate, by having the lowest fare for OV as close to $1250.00 p/p, otherwise you are not getting the full value of what you could get for the certficate! Good Luck!

Royal Caribbean Redemption Center that handles the mailed coupons explained it to me entirely differently. I was told that if we book a cabin that was higher than the coupon we could use the $2500 coupon towards the quoted price.......and then we would pay the difference, if any.

cruisenfever-- I recently redeemed 75,000 pionts for a free

companion fare. We booked an Owners Suite and they only

credited us the price of an OV. I was expecting to be credited

the full coupon value which was a max of $1250 but instead was

credited something like $600. I think from now on I'll redeem

my points into onboard credits.

Cruisenfever: I don't know when you spoke with RC redemption Center, I spoke with tem in DEC. 2006. Prior to Mbna going to BOA, it was like that! I have only used the 125K points for the cruise I just listed above, in which the OV lowest fare for 1 was $1250.00, so I did get the max of thecoupon. Therfore I can not verify what actually would happen if the fare would of been lower than $1250.00. I only stated what I was told in Dec 2006 from BOA. I can tell you (since I have a copy of the 125K coupon right in front of me) There is No place on that coupon thats states $2500.00. It states: Free Cruise Coupon 5-7 Night Mexican or Caribbean Sailing, Outsdie Stateroom. Someone else had posted that they didn't get the $2500.00 value and felt they were ripped off and could of did better by using their 125K points for OBC. That is why I suggest trying to get a cruise with a high fare for OV cabins, if you are going to use the coupon for the free2 fare!

SunnyAZ girl:

Yes I did get my Diamond discount off the balcony cabin, and I also had a Sept coupon for $75.00 that sailing, which I also got the credit for.

Before I submitted the coupon, my TA questioned RC and BOA on what I would get for the coupon in value. He was told 2 different answers(which is common). One said if the cruise was originally booked while still under the old MBNA, I would receive the $2500.00 max off(which I did book this cruise in Sept 2006 prior to the change over) and if the cruise was booked after BOA took over the charge, I would receive the lowest OV fare.

I am anxious to see someone else post that booked a cruise after BOA took over , used the 125K, and had a fare for the lowest OV under $1000.00, just to see what they got credit for:

cruisenfever-- I recently redeemed 75,000 pionts for a free

companion fare. We booked an Owners Suite and they only

credited us the price of an OV. I was expecting to be credited

the full coupon value which was a max of $1250 but instead was

credited something like $600. I think from now on I'll redeem

my points into onboard credits.

Cruisenfever: I don't know when you spoke with RC redemption Center, I spoke with tem in DEC. 2006. Prior to Mbna going to BOA, it was like that! I have only used the 125K points for the cruise I just listed above, in which the OV lowest fare for 1 was $1250.00, so I did get the max of thecoupon. Therfore I can not verify what actually would happen if the fare would of been lower than $1250.00. I only stated what I was told in Dec 2006 from BOA. I can tell you (since I have a copy of the 125K coupon right in front of me) There is No place on that coupon thats states $2500.00. It states: Free Cruise Coupon 5-7 Night Mexican or Caribbean Sailing, Outsdie Stateroom. Someone else had posted that they didn't get the $2500.00 value and felt they were ripped off and could of did better by using their 125K points for OBC. That is why I suggest trying to get a cruise with a high fare for OV cabins, if you are going to use the coupon for the free2 fare!

SunnyAZ girl:

Yes I did get my Diamond discount off the balcony cabin, and I also had a Sept coupon for $75.00 that sailing, which I also got the credit for.

Before I submitted the coupon, my TA questioned RC and BOA on what I would get for the coupon in value. He was told 2 different answers(which is common). One said if the cruise was originally booked while still under the old MBNA, I would receive the $2500.00 max off(which I did book this cruise in Sept 2006 prior to the change over) and if the cruise was booked after BOA took over the charge, I would receive the lowest OV fare.

I am anxious to see someone else post that booked a cruise after BOA took over , used the 125K, and had a fare for the lowest OV under $1000.00, just to see what they got credit for:

Thanks for the heads up and clarification. I guess since BofA took over there may have been changes as my conversation with RCI was early last year.

I'll cash mine in and use them as OBC's.

Whew.......I just read this entire thread. It was interesting, informative, confusing, and entertaining.

We have had our RCCL card for three years, and have cashed in coupons for OBC totaling $1100 applied to three cruises. It sure helps with all those purchases on board.....photos, tips, drinks, shore excursions, etc. I never have a problem spending the whole amount, but nice to know I will get a credit if I don't.

We charge everything we can to our credit card, then pay it off each month.

MACOP did you get your card reinstated, or do you even want it again? Just curious.

Happy cruising everyone........we are leaving next weekend for the Panama Canal on Brilliance of the Seas. Can't wait....

Thank you for the explanation you have provided on numerous occasions on how to get the best value out of the cert. Anyone trying to redeem any points or miles has to educate themselves on how best to redeem, and I thank you for contributing to the info bank on that. I created a chart for myself so I can calculate easily the value to me. On RCI visa, looks like I could get up to 4% value if I redeem correctly. On a certain airline, with double dipping, I can get 16%. :)

that I've had almost 3 years is still active, so I get the double RCCL points. Still no $100OBC certs, which the gal told me I had to cash in or possibly lose with the new card, still no listing of perks we get from B of A on the Platinum Plus which MBNA had nothing much and it 2 weeks.

RCCL was very interested, as their Marketing Mgr was looking at this thread to read my 1/22 post on upgrade to RCCL Signature Visa & then a week later I am rudely told THAT CARD DOESN"T EXIST. So then why does your fellow Manager as the C/S reps call themselves, tell me I got an upgrade? In a week I am not told differently by a real Manager who pays you? RCCL was not too happy with what happened, they didn't know about no perks with the card such as warranty extension, lost luggage coverage & other items this RCCL Signature Visa was to have. I gave him scans of what I was sent about all the perks. So maybe they will get this card for us instead of Plat Plus.

With $250 the usual OBC for 2 week cruises we do, we are nearing what we paid for the stock, so that will be a freebie for us. The $15 dividend, next one is March 30, is what is taxed. So we are lucking out!!!

Whew.......I just read this entire thread. It was interesting, informative, confusing, and entertaining.

We have had our RCCL card for three years, and have cashed in coupons for OBC totaling $1100 applied to three cruises. It sure helps with all those purchases on board.....photos, tips, drinks, shore excursions, etc. I never have a problem spending the whole amount, but nice to know I will get a credit if I don't.

We charge everything we can to our credit card, then pay it off each month.

MACOP did you get your card reinstated, or do you even want it again? Just curious.

Happy cruising everyone........we are leaving next weekend for the Panama Canal on Brilliance of the Seas. Can't wait....

that I've had almost 3 years is still active, so I get the double RCCL points. Still no letter about the mistake on my upgrade, still no $100OBC certs, still no listing of perks we get from B of A on the Platinum Plus which MBNA had nothing much.

RCCL was very interested as their Marketing Mgr was looking at this thread to read my 1/22 post on upgarde to RCCL Signature Visa & then a week laster I am rudely told THAT CARD DOESN"T EXIST. So then why does your fellow Manager as the C/A reps call themselves, tell me I got an upgrade? In a week I am not told differently by a real Manager who pays you? RCCL was not too happy with what happened, they didn't know aboutt no perks with the card such as warranty extension, lost luggage coverage & other items this RCCL Signature Visa was to have. I gave him scans of what I was sent about all the perks. So maybe they will get this card for us instead of Plat Plus.

Interesting that you are the only person to report this issue... If there was supposed to be a RCCL Signature Visa, I would have thought both the bank and the cruise line would have widely advertised it... Seems like confusion at both ends... again.

LL :cool:

Lightsluvr-- You are absolutely right! The BoA Signature Visa with World Points has NEVER been indicated as RCCL Signature Visa card. Not sure why anyone would involve RCI in a dispute over their own obvious misunderstanding with BoA.

Archived