Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Hi, Ruby! It certainly was a major blunder by Azamara to fling the Journey into service when it was not completely ready. It seems to me that the management blindly adhered to the original schedule which had specified a completion date, and then, from their comfortable and luxurious offices, ignored reports of construction delays and unpreparedness rather than cancel the inaugural cruise.

It's also really interesting that Azamara, as an upscale line, does not have a formal dress code. Celebrity, which seems to be gradually "dumbing down", pays lip service to formal and informal dress codes without actually enforcing them. On my last Holland America cruise, in November, there were three dress codes, but for next week on the Zaandam there are just two - formal and casual. I think that Celebrity will similarly eliminate the informal dress code.

I have absolutely no intention of booking on megaships (squat apartment blocks on barges). Even the Infinity was on the large scale for me.

D'Maniac.

You very well may be right Ruby, regarding keeping up standards on large ships, although some very large hotels & resorts sometimes manage it (OK so they are the expensive ones!). It must certainly be harder to keep up standards on larger ships. I have never been on a ship larger than the Vista class, 80,000 tons, about the size of the old Queen Mary. The 90,000 ton Celebrity Millenium class ships have a good reputation though. Anyway, I look forward to putting this theory to the test next year on the QM2.

I also look forward to trying out the Celebrity ships sometime in the future & also trying out the creations of the Oceania pastry chefs!:)

Now that we have had a good honest airing of our views, can we take our seatbelts off yet Ruby?:D

Graham.

How do you guys do that simultaneous posting thingie? Signal flags on top of roofs? Pigeons with a message stating a time? Incredible and yet fascinating.

To D'maniac: Tell me something. What are the passengers on Celebrity wearing into the GDR nowadays? As the dress codes are relaxed, are the passengers doing same? Are we down to Ts and cut-offs yet or golf shirts and pants - what? Are you concerned about couture trends on Celebrity?

I liked your notes about Azamara. Which gets me right back to my notes about it all rolls downhil. As the RCI execs allow sloppy, dirty ships to be launched for an inaugural cruise, do we assume that they are, indeed, interested only in their stockholders? I do.

Digression - when you said Infinity, I immediately thought of the car. I'm told by my Chrysler rep to put nitrogen in my tires as it is a more stable gas than "air" so the tires don't ebb and flow with the temps. I am to take my 300 to their Infinity dealership and get a free fill-up for the tires.

To Graham: I also will look forward to your comments about the QM2. As you know, patwell who occasionally posts with us is a big fan of this ship.

Your comment about managing major hotels was a good one. My most favourite hotel in the world is Mother Peninsula in Hong Kong. If I had the money, I would take up residence at that hotel. In a guest comment card, I happened to mention that the international phone system at The Oriental in Bangkok was easier to use. By the time I got home from that trip, the Swiss manager of The Peninsula had sent a letter of apology, asking that they be given another chance to please me.

Which was in direct contrast to my one-day stay at Sofitel Gatwick where bad things happened. The resident manager sent me a letter later stating that they had no evidence that I had placed the breakfast hanger out in proper time for pick-up. Evidently, 9:00pm is not soon enough. And the list goes on. I posted a note on TripAdvisor about Sofitel Gatwick. Revenge is sweet.

My point being that the Sofitel chap tried to make excuses and turn the fault onto me, the guest. The topnotch hotels never do that. They just keep polishing that fine diamond of a hotel based on customer input. I would not accuse Carnivore or RCI or any of their subdivisions of The Peninsula attitude.

Okay, how 'bout this - D'maniac posts on the even hour and Graham posts on the odd hour until the Canadian semaphores get put right? Carry on.

Ruby

Ruby, I have absolutely no idea why Graham and I often type away on our keyboards at the same time. Eerie, but true! Perhaps it's just a matter of being in the time zone?

Seatbelts? Stepping on toes? If there was a dispute on this board recently, I must have blinked and missed it. I appreciate the way that we have been discussing things honestly and respectfully here. We may not always agree with each other, but I think that we've respected each others' opinions.

Ruby, you prefer to spend a certain amount of money on one cruise a year or so, and I prefer to split the same amount of money on experiencing five or six cruises yearly (bread crumbs and all), as breaks from everyday home routines. Neither of us are right or wrong ... it is what we are most comfortable doing so that is the most important. Right?

As for enforcement of dress codes, on my May 26 Mercury cruise to the Mexican Riviera, I was at a table for 8 at the foot of the grand staircase in the dining room. On a formal evening, we saw the maitre d' banish a 20-something couple in their sandals, shorts, t-shirts and backwards baseball caps. They ascended the staircase in full view of us all. The lady beside me muttered, "They should have read the daily program for the dress codes."

On an informal evening on the same cruise, we saw a young father descending the grand staircase with his baby in his arms. Males were supposed to be in jackets (and maybe ties), but this father was in neither. However, he was well-groomed and cleanly dressed in Country Club casual clothes. The maitre d' allowed him to be seated.

I am not a fashion police, and I have absolutely no objection to anyone wearing clean and nice clothes to dinner.

As for Azamara, I think that the management is interested in their shares in that company, as well as for those of their stockholders. I haven't paid any attention to the Azamara board ... if anyone has been in that board, how is that cruise line doing now, and has the Smart Casual dress code been abused?

D'Maniac.

I appreciate the way that we have been discussing things honestly and respectfully here. We may not always agree with each other, but I think that we've respected each others' opinions.D'Maniac.

You have perfectly expressed why this thread rolls on - the civility of it all. If discussions had deteriorated into the negative tone and timbre on other boards, I would have been long gone. I welcome the comments brought to our Nostalgia Cruise and appreciate all of you for being onboard.

The reasons for when or where or why people cruise are a totally personal decision. I particularly admire those couples who make a once-in-a-lifetime decision to celebrate a special anniversary or fulfill a long-term dream to see Alaska. For those people, I wish them the finest cruise any ship could offer and hope they go home with stars in their eyes. Being around those couples on a cruise reminds me of how perfect such a vacation can be, instead of worrying that the "warm chocolate cake" is a bit dry. I hope never to become blasé about the joys of cruising.

Awhile back, I heard about problems on the inaugural Azamara launch and made a point to occasionally read the board to see how things are going onboard Journey. Quest launches in October (I think) and I'm curious to see how it all turns out.

RCI came within a hair of acquiring Oceania last fall and, if they had bought O, I would never have trod those teak decks again. Instead, RCI withdrew from the sale while possessing complete and total details of the O business plan. RCI acquired the last two Renaissance ships, theoretically overhauled their interiors, put Journey on the water to directly compete with Oceania, and you know the rest of the story.

RCI reminds of me of the Wizard of Oz - great excitement, lots of pretty Technicolor, but it all boils down to one man behind a curtain. Any upper level manager of a cruise line has all the marketing information they need right here on Cruise Critic - free, fresh, honest input on their product. It is up to them to use the information wisely - or satisfy the shareholders.

I am keen to hear from Conte who should be arriving on our shores this weekend. I think he should skip the dirty laundry and the jet lag and tell me how he liked Saga Rose.

Ruby

Donald: We must be on the same circadian rhythm, resonate to the same frequency, boogy to the same beat!!!:D

Yesterday,we got our tickets for the Oosterdam for Mexico in November. It is the first time that we have had two sets of tickets at the same time! This Alaska trip on the Ryndam is an extra because my father in law is visiting & we are going with him on his very first cruise. November is for a work related meeting. I feel a bit like the maritime equivalent of a 'jet setter'!

I see you are going back to back on the Vision Of The Seas in November,Donald. If you leave on the 4th, you will be one day behind us at each port. We have booked a trip in Mazatlan with 'Mazatlan Frank' from these boards, going up into the Sierra Madre to visit a couple of the old mining towns. I thought that it would be nice to see beyond Mazatlan itself.

Ruby: GDR?- German Democratic Republic?????? These Celebrity passengers do get around!

I have a mental image of you floating around Texas in your car, suspended by your nitrogen filled tyres, a bit like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (or would that be hydrogen?)!!!!!:D

Graham.

Have no fear...the referee is here!!!:D

HI GANG!!!

What a spirited discussion!!! I loved Donald's story about the 20 somethings coming down the grand staircase on formal night. How typical...of the "ME FIRST" generation. We have gone from Generation X to Generation -0-...LOL.

I did a survey on the Celebrity forum 2 years ago and found that more than 93% of CC responders on the Celebrity site preferred adherence to the "Suggested Dress" guidelines. This is a clear indication that most rational cruise enthusiasts who frequent Celebrity prefer to keep it formal. There are always exceptions...Alaskan cruises, Spring Break cruises, etc.

GOOD SERVICE AND GOOD FOOD ETC:

This is always a crap-shoot on RCI, Celebrity and HAL. There can be inconsistencies due to Captain, Hotel Manager, upper management, crew, chef, cooks and supplies. "Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances"...LOL. I know that we have all found delightful cruises among the major lines. If you know the ships and you know the system you can still find diamonds among the stones. Sometimes everything comes together and you get a beautiful symphony on a ship that is usually just so-so. Each one of us has his or her own system for choosing cruises...I say..."WHATEVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT"...LOL!!!

I really don't think that I would be happy on Silversea, Chrystal or Seabourne. These lines might have the best food and service but the ships are just too dead. I do feel the mega ships are a bit much...but I do like some of the 90,000 tonners for a number of reasons.

ROSS

Graham, I am sure that your father-in-law will enjoy his first cruise, especially to Alaska with its spectacular scenery. Be sure to keep him away from the cabin windows on the promenade deck. :D

After our cruises, we should compare notes on the food and service (especially if bread crumbs were brushed off the table!) on the Ryndam and Zaandam. I hope that we won't encounter staff who treat us in condescending or inappropriate manners, though I don't think that I've ever had that experience on a HAL ship, except for the overworked staff at the Front Desk on the Maasdam.

I will embark on the Vision of the Seas on November 25, so that would be about three weeks after your cruise on the Oosterdam. Will you be flying to the old mining towns in the Sierra Madre? One of my friends on the Mercury last March took such a flight and she reported that she enjoyed it immensely.

D'Maniac.

Donald: Not a flight to the Sierra Madre, just a day trip. I hope that it will be a chance to see a little of Mexico beyond the tourist area, although we were surprised how much we enjoyed walking around the 'old town' of Mazatlan last year.

No, I will not allow my father in law to join the seedy ranks of the Thomases & Thomasinas, lurking on the promenade deck after dark! I know only too well the dangers that lurk out there for the unwary!!!:eek:

Ross: We managed to do the coordination thingy this morning. When we get really good at it, we will all be able to post together at the same time! I think they call that ESP (nothing to do with GDR though).

Ruby: Next week it will just be the 'old guard' left to discuss Saga & the ships of yore, just like old times! I also look forward to hearing of Conte's experiences on the Rose.

Graham.

I returned home last evening from our British Isles cruise on Saga Rose. Despite being on the melatonin regimen I awoke at 3 AM New York time so I am a bit jet lagged and face alot of unpacking and laundry.

Details will follow after I get myself together. It was a great trip. Enjoyed most of the ports. Ruby, the weather was excellent! I carried but never opened the 'brellie once although there were a few overcast days in Scotland and Ireland. The sun was often out and the temperature was usually in the 60's or 70's. The seas were mercifully calm as well. I'm off to make my own bed, cook my breakfast and clean the tub. Ugh! Where's Noel?

[sound of bosun’s pipe] Welcome back aboard the Nostalgia Cruise, Conte!! So good of you to inform us of your return. I have notified the Purser’s Office that you are back with us, although a bit jet-lagged.

My personal Saga Rose jet lag was the easiest one I’ve had in years and I hope yours turns out to be as brief. When I circled the globe for the Nautica cruise last year, I was upside down in my sleeping patterns for ten days - ugh! I was driving out to the Post Office at DFW Airport at 4:30am just for something to do.

So good to hear that your brolly stayed dry. I am, of course, green with envy. (Get it? Green? Greenland? Oh never mind!)

You will be astonished to find my extensive Saga Rose cruise diary posted on these pages. If you need a sleeping aid, do not hesitate to use those notes. I am truly keen to hear your comments about Saga Rose - I have never talked to an American who has traveled on either Saga Sister before now.

Conte has returned from the North Sea, D’maniac is on his way out to the Pacific. Aren’t we just the travelin’ fools?

Ruby

Conte has returned from the North Sea, D’maniac is on his way out to the Pacific. Aren’t we just the travelin’ fools?

Ruby

Graham is also heading out to the Pacific. He and I will be chugging along the coast of Alaska next week, him aboard the Ryndam and me on the Zaandam. Right, Graham?

Also, a big welcome back to Conte!

D'Maniac.

Graham is also heading out to the Pacific. He and I will be chugging along the coast of Alaska next week, him aboard the Ryndam and me on the Zaandam. Right, Graham?D'Maniac.

D'maniac - I'm glad you brought this up. Evidently I am date-challenged in regard to your cruises and Graham's. As far as your personal cruises are concerned, I can "read all about it" in your signature. On B2B, I assume you are gone for 2 weeks at a time?

Graham - I have it in my mind that you are cruising with - and without - your father-in-law but cannot sort out which dates and cruise ships are which. I am confident that your FIL's first cruise with you and his daughter standing by his side will be loverly. Could you please give us actual dates and ships so I can follow you and your family's cruises? The Admiral needs clarification.

Ruby

HAL Ryndam- 7 days to Alaska from Sunday 16th September (day after tomorrow).

HAL Oosterdam- 7 days to Mexican Riviera from 3rd November (after a week in San Diego, hopefully visiting the Queen Mary in Long Beach).

I hope that meets with your approval ma'am?

Graham.

The reasons for when or where or why people cruise are a totally personal decision. I particularly admire those couples who make a once-in-a-lifetime decision to celebrate a special anniversary or fulfill a long-term dream to see Alaska. For those people, I wish them the finest cruise any ship could offer and hope they go home with stars in their eyes. Being around those couples on a cruise reminds me of how perfect such a vacation can be, instead of worrying that the "warm chocolate cake" is a bit dry. I hope never to become blasé about the joys of cruising.

Ruby

Ruby, special occasions indeed call for special attention. Three years ago, for my friend's 50th birthday, we booked a suite with butler service on the Summit. Earlier this year, we celebrated my 60th birthday in a similar suite on the Infinity. Such occasions are worth spending a little extra for. :)

Donald.

As far as your personal cruises are concerned, I can "read all about it" in your signature. On B2B, I assume you are gone for 2 weeks at a time?

Ruby

Ruby, I've amended my signature to provide fuller details as to the length of each future cruise and exact date of departures.

I noticed that Graham and I posted within five minutes of each other just now!

Donald.

I hope that meets with your approval ma'am?Graham.

Your application for leave has been approved and sent to Personnel. Oh, excuse me. "Human Resources," whatever that means.

Wow! So you are outa here to Alaska. What ports do you visit on Ryndam? And on which cruise is your FIL joining you so he can dine with you TDY in the GDR? I get the . . .dams all mixed up.

Admiral Ma'am? What a hoot! I am still laughing! Thanks, Graham!

Ruby

Ruby, I've amended my signature to provide fuller details as to the length of each future cruise and exact date of departures. I noticed that Graham and I posted within five minutes of each other just now! Donald.

Your point being . . .?

I admit that if I could justify paying a 200% fee to sail just once in a bi-level duplex onboard one of the Saga Sisters, I would do it out of curiosity. Somewhere I read that those duplexes are the largest afloat but I find that hard to believe with all the behemoths increasing their room sizes. Evidently size does matter in the cruise world.

Being serious for just one mo' (ohhhhh noooooo!), I find that 175 sq. ft. is plenty of space for lil ole me. The love seat in my Oceania cabin was the perfect touch for making my cabin a good temporary home and Saga Rose had chairs and lots o' floor space so colour me happy.

Good on you, D'maniac, for doing a flash cruise on your significant birthdays and a very merry Welcome to your next decade in which I also reside. (harumph!)

Ruby

Your point being . . .?

Ruby

What do you mean, Admiral Ma'am? A) The five-minute interval between Graham's and my postings, or B) the additions of details to my signature? If the latter, you had asked if I would be gone for two weeks at a time on the B2B. I thought that my revised signature would provide all the necessary details, and good for future reference.

I believe that the largest suites afloat are on the newest NCL ships, something like 5,000 square feet. Unless I am Donald Trump, I really don't see much point in staying in such mega-suites, when I like to circulate around ships. The 275 square feet Sky Suites on the M-Class ships are just right for me for special occasions.

Donald D'Maniac.

I returned home last evening from our British Isles cruise on Saga Rose. Despite being on the melatonin regimen I awoke at 3 AM New York time so I am a bit jet lagged and face alot of unpacking and laundry.

Details will follow after I get myself together. It was a great trip. Enjoyed most of the ports. Ruby, the weather was excellent! I carried but never opened the 'brellie once although there were a few overcast days in Scotland and Ireland. The sun was often out and the temperature was usually in the 60's or 70's. The seas were mercifully calm as well. I'm off to make my own bed, cook my breakfast and clean the tub. Ugh! Where's Noel?

Please excuse me for butting in, but just wantd to say the Saga Rose sure looked pretty in Douglas harbour last week. I do hope you enjoyed your short visit to the Isle of Man and had a great cruise!

0002014B.gif

What do you mean, Admiral Ma'am? A) The five-minute interval between Graham's and my postings, or B) the additions of details to my signature? If the latter, you had asked if I would be gone for two weeks at a time on the B2B. I thought that my revised signature would provide all the necessary details, and good for future reference. Donald D'Maniac.

D'maniac - I meant A). I was laughing so hard about Admiral Ma'am (a title I shall cherish) that I didn't quote your post properly. We of the Nostalgia Cruise do appreciate your new signature line indicating precise dates of sailings and the Purser's Office sends its thanks for that clarification.

It would not behoove the Admiral Ma'am to be chattering on to a cloud, a shadow, a ghost, whilst you and Graham are living it up on your respective cruises.

Holy cabin space! 5,000 sq. ft.?!!! If I were the sole occupant of that suite, I would take a wrong turn and wind up in a closet. At the end of the cruise, they would find me huddled inside the cabinet whimpering to go home. Troubling thought - would my voice echo in that kind of space? But the butler and cabin steward would certainly have had an easyCruise. Nyuck, nyuck.

Ruby

P.S. Graham - you missed your time slot. All okay out there?