Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

We've been shipping suitcases to cruise ships for more than 10 years. We have been lucky never to have never had a bad experience, yet -- but I'm still afraid that something might happen. We have had some bad experiences with checked suitcases on airplanes.

Ususally we use the luggage service recommended by the cruise line. For our Europa cruise, we have assumed that Hapag-Lloyd is not equiped to pick up luggage in the USA for shipping to the embarkation port. Therefore, we are using The Luggage Club which was recommended to us by our TA. We hope that our bags will be at our hotel in Barcelona when we arrive. We will be travelling for 10 days in the UK, Spain and France before we get to Barcelona, and we didn't want to lug all of our bags around with us -- especially not on and off the P&O ferry Pride of Bilbao (40,000 tons, sailing from Portsmouth, UK to Bilbao, Spain) which will certainly not have porters to help us.

What is the "unlocked luggage rule"? We always use the TSA approved locks that the TSA can open.

I looked into the TSA-approved locks but read some negative stories about an airport not being able to find their sole copy of the TSA key so bolt cutters were used on the passengers' cases. Being risk averse, I decided to pass. But I am perked up about your positive experiences so maybe I'll look into it once more.

I read about The Luggage Club and one other forwarding service then decided to wait until other brave people (that would be you) had given it a go. My situation is that I cruise, get off the ship, then go on to a hotel in Paris or wherever. I worry about my cases sitting around any hotel for 2-3 weeks while I'm off sailing to the North Pole. Have you shipped cases to a hotel for post-cruise use?

Have you ridden the Eurostar? It is the best train experience I've had in a long time and the speed is fantastic. Only problem - suitcases. There are no porters at the train in Gare du Nord or Ashford so we have to sling our own cases up onto a train car platform that is above my head. The passengers are wonderful - someone always steps up to help or someone stacks cases efficiently on the luggage shelves at the end of the rail car. I was lucky and was given consistent, kindly assistance by passengers at the Eurostar platform.

Unfortunately I also hear stories about thieves in other countries helping themselves to luggage in rail cars and making off with them, so people bring locks and leashes or chains to fasten them to the shelf poles. Action, reaction. Good guys, bad guys. [heavy sigh]

Ruby

Saga Ruby,

The only time that we have left suitcases in a hotel for an extended period was the time that we went to the Galapagos. The planes from Quito to the Galapagos islands allow only a very small amount of luggage. We found our luggage back in Quito quite intact. We have also had a couple of bad experiences with locks on airplanes -- but we have never yet had any of the contents stollen. When we have shipped luggage, we have never yet had any damage except for some dirt on our suitcases.

We have taken the Eurostar and it was very nice, but the absolute best and most luxurious way to go between Paris and London is the Orient Express. It is a longer and more expensive trip, but it is in magnificent vintage rail cars with private compartments and splendid food and service. The only caveat is that the train can't go through the Chunnel. For the tunnel trip, passengers are put on busses that are then driven into box cars on a train. This would be fine except that the A/C on the train doesn't work in the Chunnel. Unfortunately, our most frequntly used method of getting to and from the UK is by air.

There is also an American train called the Grand Luxe Express that sounds wonderful. We often take "suites" on Amtrak to go to and from Florida and have done so travelling from NYC to Los Angeles; these suites are comfortable but not luxurious. The food is pretty bad. In January, we are taking the Grand Luxe Express (a.k.a the "American Orient Express") on this route. The cars are vintage sleepers, lounges and dining cars from the 1950s.

BTW, we also cross oceans by sea whenever possible. So far I've crossed the Atlantic on the Queen Elizabeth (the 1st one), the France (12 times), the Gripsholm, the Kungsholm, the QE2 (6 times), the Royal Viking Sea, the Royal Viking Sun, the Seven Seas Voyager (3 times, so far). I've crossed the Pacific on the Seabourn Pride and on the Seven Seas Mariner.

You may get the (correct) idea that we don't like airports and airplanes! Nevertheless, we often have to take planes.

Yes, the Eurostar is an experience, and should be even better now that the rail on the British side has been upgraded. It hadn't been when we rode it several years ago. Luggage is a pain on the Eurostar, I agree.

We enjoyed the Tokyo/Kobe Bullet Train even more. That was a great trip - but unfortunately, Mt. Fuji was only partially visible, due to heavy fog in the area. We didn't have to worry about our luggage on that trip - it was handled by Princess. We were en route to Kobe to catch Sea Princess (former Kungsholm), Kobe to Vancouver via Honolulu, 5-89.

I never knew there was a Europa until Conte mentioned it and now JDRMYS is sailing on this ship. As we all know, once something comes up on our personal horizon, we see it everywhere.

Can anyone tell me if all drinks, both soft and hard, are automatically included in the tariff on Hapag-Lloyd? I do not travel on ships that have that policy and most of the upmarket cruise lines do exactly that. I don't drink soft or hard drinks and don't want to buy rounds for the other passengers during a 2-week voyage. Digression - it amuses me to hear people say that "airfare is included" or "airfare is FREE!" They obviously don't understand business pricing.

D'maniac - have you returned safely from Palm Springs? Are you in the process of deciding which shoe to polish for your VisionOTS coming up?

Just curious - everyone seems to have a different packing strategy. I know JDRMYS will be sending cases ahead. Do y'all start "packing" a week or two ahead? What is your system? I have a travel drawer into which I throw small items I will forget and keep a duplicate toiletries bag that I pick up and throw into the carry-on. Hard goods are packed the night before departure and, depending on flight time, the "to be wrinkled" clothes are packed on departure morning. I separate my cruise clothes in a separate closet so all I have to do is strip off the plastic bags, then I don't close the lid until the taxi arrives.

Ruby

Saga Ruby

I usually don't pack until the night before our flight. Virginia laughs, and says it only takes me 5 minutes (which is a bit of a stretch). She starts at least a week before. Venus and Mars.

I agree about the "included libations" - I don't care paying for others' drinking habits.

Jean was a multimillionaire Frenchman on one of my RVL voyages. On our last evening, someone asked Jean if he were packed yet. His eyebrows flew up and he sniffed, "How long does it take to pack? Thirty minutes?"

Jean was quite the character. Our table was discussing the legality of a faxed signature (that was back in the 80s) and he said that he signed contracts in green ink with his Cross pen. I didn't even know there was such a thing as green ink for a ballpoint pen. The next night, Jean brought his Cross pen and demonstrated the ink colour.

A group of us were standing at the railing on a pretty day. The ship's photog was walking the promenade deck, taking candid shots. He approached our group and said "Smile!" holding up his camera. Jean rushed at him with hand wide open, yelling, "No pictures! No pictures!" As the startled photographer walked away, we could hear him murmur, "Who is that guy?"

Jean was an impeccable dresser with classic style. In the evening, he wore bespoke suits and beautiful silk ties, during the day he wore light wool slacks and bespoke shirts. Whatever the occasion, he was properly and brilliantly dressed. But one did wonder where his money came from.

Ruby

I never knew there was a Europa until Conte mentioned it and now JDRMYS is sailing on this ship. As we all know, once something comes up on our personal horizon, we see it everywhere.

Can anyone tell me if all drinks, both soft and hard, are automatically included in the tariff on Hapag-Lloyd?

Ruby

The only drinks included are soft drinks and beer found in the suite minibars, all other drinking is at the passengers' own expense. So, Ruby, you don't drink soft or hard drinks. How do you maintain your hydration? Are you a camel? Do you prefer IV's?

As far as packing goes, we start laying out clothes a week or so before the trip, placing shirts, socks and undies in plastic folders which can be easily removed from the luggage and placed in drawers. I used to go through ritualistic ironing of all pants, jackets etc. before packing these items but have lately abandoned that practice since they need to be repressed upon arrival. The latest twist in all this is the inability to bring larger volumes of liquid onboard the plane. Now I have a sealable plastic box to place in the luggage in an effort to keep spillage from reaching our clothes. What a pain!!

D'maniac - have you returned safely from Palm Springs? Are you in the process of deciding which shoe to polish for your VisionOTS coming up?

Just curious - everyone seems to have a different packing strategy.

Ruby

Yep, I'm back home. Palm Springs was just great!!! Five days of sunny weather with highs of 88F was just the relief I needed from Vancouver's cloudy, wet and chilly weather. Today I picked up my VisionOTS tickets, so I'm looking forward to more sunny climes to enjoy.

As for packing, I usually select my clothes three days before, and separate them from the rest of the stuff in the closet. The day prior to the cruise, I pack my shoes and casual clothes. On the evening prior (if I have to take an early flight) or on the morning (if taking an afternoon flight) I pack the rest of the stuff. Away I go! Packing several times a year has given me enough practice not to forget anything, except for that one time when I didn't bring black socks to wear for formal nights on the Oosterdam.

D'maniac.

The only drinks included are soft drinks and beer found in the suite minibars, all other drinking is at the passengers' own expense. So, Ruby, you don't drink soft or hard drinks. How do you maintain your hydration? Are you a camel? Do you prefer IV's?

I asked my father the doctor in his later years why I drink only water. He thumped his chest and said, "I did that! I wanted you to have a clean mouth!" Other than water, literally the only other fluid I drink is orange juice for breakfast.

Early on, I told my father that I didn’t like alcohol and he said either drink it moderately or don’t drink it at all. I chose to leave it alone. I would go to cocktail parties but not imbibe.

One thing I learned about cocktail parties is that, after 11:00pm, everyone is laughing uproariously at things that are not funny. When I make my excuses and leave, everybody wants me to stick around because I have a good sense of humour and a great laugh. They cannot begin to conceive of how tedious the party has become for me.

I couldn’t care less about everyone else drinking, but have learned to sidestep the question about why I’m not participating. I say, "I can’t handle alcohol" and they all think I’m in AA which is fine with me.

Ruby

Holy ship’s horns! Michael sent me a YouTube video of the QM2 sounding her horn(s) in Sydney. It seemed to go on forever and had many bass and treble notes. I’ll bet you could feel those vibrations in your feet. What is the story about those multi-faceted horns on Cunard?

For those living live near ports, do you hear ships' horns and whistles as a part of your daily lives?

Ruby

When we were living in Berkeley (and later Richmond), we could hear not only the ship's whistles (horns) but also the fog horns when it was foggy. As I told you in a previous post - there is a fog horn on the Golden Gate Bridge in addition to the several horns dotted about the Bay. I'm told that when QM2 made her maiden entry into San Francisco Bay, the horn on the GGB was blown in salute to QM2. I can't pick it up when watching the tapes of QM2's entrance - only hearing her whistle.

With the advent of modern radio systems and bow thrusters on ships, there is less blowing of horns than there used to be - modern ships often no longer use tugs, and the whistles were a main form of communication between the ships and the tugs.

Watch some of the old movies that have port scenes in them - a lot of horn blowing. Much less today!

Reference youtube, they have a bunch of ship's whistles (horns), along with train horns, and my favorite, automobiles with Nathan P5 airhorns - great for scaring little old ladies in their Buicks!

Talking about Nathan P5 airhorns - they are available on ebay, among other places.

I have on order a 2008 Smart twofor coupe - and my son says he will install a Nathan P5 on it for me, should I want it. I think it would be a real hoot! That certainly would get the attention of all the seniors in their gold carts. We are in a NEV (new electric vehicle) street legal community.

Early on, I told my father that I didn’t like alcohol and he said either drink it moderately or don’t drink it at all. I chose to leave it alone.

Ruby

Ah, that explained why you were flabbergasted when you were presented with the complimentary bottle of wine on the Saga Rose. Did you take a courtesy sip?

D'maniac.

Ah, that explained why you were flabbergasted when you were presented with the complimentary bottle of wine on the Saga Rose. Did you take a courtesy sip?D'maniac.

Very astute of you, Donald. No, I didn't even try the wine due to the "pearls before swine" category I live in. I was so pleased that our Gentleman Host at the dinner table said it was "quite good, actually." It was a bit of luck that I was seated at a table for six so others could enjoy a very kind gesture on the part of the Hotel Director.

Having said that, I also would tell you that, to me, Coca-Cola tasted like battery acid, beer tasted like soapsuds, and coffee was bitter. I never got over the "child" stage of tasting the finer things which have to be learned to be appreciated. As far as smoking is concerned, at the urging of my friends at age 15, I smoked one cigarette and my mouth was full of smoke, there were ashes on my pretty dress, and my throat closed up so I didn't inhale. That was the end of that.

Back in the day, when I was being mocked about not drinking anything jazzy, I would ask the person if they ate black olives. Most of the time, they would recoil in horror. Ditto.

Ruby

Ruby, you mentioned that you don't like to subsidize the drinking of others aboard the lines which include drinks. Those of us who partake would like to take this opportunity to thank our fellow passengers who don't! I fully understand you're feelings on this, unfortunately, the ships which offer this "free" amenity are amongst those which you would probably otherwise enjoy.

We have found that when traveling aboard ships which charge per drink, the bill at the end of the trip with drinks and tours etc. often amounts to having had another passenger in our cabin.

So this got me reflecting on the "old days" again when drinks were not the big money maker they now are for the cruise lines. I managed to locate this wine list from our 1965 transatlantic voyage on board Michelangelo. The cover is pretty enough with this sensuous Caravaggio painting of Bacchus, but the prices are even more fantastic. They range from $.60 to $1.20 per bottle, not per glass! I know the dollar isn't worth what it was in 1965, but these prices were cheap even then.

Back in the day, when I was being mocked about not drinking anything jazzy, I would ask the person if they ate black olives. Most of the time, they would recoil in horror. Ditto.

Ruby

Same with anchovies. As a kid, I hated them. Now I pop them in my mouth like candy while my friends shiver and quake.

I have on order a 2008 Smart TwoFor coupe - and my son says he will install a Nathan P5 on it for me, should I want it. I think it would be a real hoot! That certainly would get the attention of all the seniors in their golf carts.

I first saw a Le Smart Car in Barcelona in the 90s. It was parked daily at a local café across the shady, tree-lined street from my hotel and had racing stripes all over the car. The driver backed the car into one space and a motorcycle parked alongside it - two drivers sharing one space. I would stroll over to the café for a panini sandwich and gawk at the Smart Car as I passed by. If I wanted a second car in which to bash around town, I would definitely look at the Smart Car. Are they air-conditioned?

. . . unfortunately, the ships which offer this "free" amenity are amongst those which you would probably otherwise enjoy. We have found that when traveling aboard ships which charge per drink, the bill at the end of the trip with drinks and tours etc. often amounts to having had another passenger in our cabin.

About subsidizing other passengers - I kick that abstract ball around all the time. I’m just thrifty enough to avoid buying rounds for others for 14 or more days, yet I want to try the upscale cruise lines. A conundrum. Your comment about "having had another passenger in our cabin" fascinates me - no one ever talks about their drinks bill on a shipboard account so I’ve never known. Thanks.

On Saga Rose, were you surprised at the prices for wine and mixed drinks? From this amateur’s standpoint, they seemed quite reasonable. And the fact that bottled water onboard ship and on land tours was free was a welcome relief from other cruise lines.

I am a fan of Oceania but the first thing I saw upon entering my cabin was the liter bottle of water with a price tag of $3.75 hanging around its neck. My radar went up wondering if this cruise line was going to be pushing sales for 25 days but that was the only instance in which I was faced with a sales pitch. I had to laugh in the cruise terminal in Dubai - the gift shop was packed with passengers buying 6-8 one-liter bottles of water. I was buying a bookmark and postcards.

I’m still smiling about the "anchovies" analogy. As far as I know, I can’t bear anchovies. On Braniff, I had one fish draped on top of a first-class salad on the way to Rio and it was the bones that repelled me. I hear that good anchovies are excellent but what are the odds of me encountering an opinion-altering anchovy in Texas?

That Caravaggio Bacchus is a riveting piece - it is, indeed, quite sensuous so, of course, the artist has finely rendered the subject. You have a wonderful maritime collection from days of steamships and I am envious. Always free to post memorabilia on the Nostalgia Cruise.

Ruby

I did mention ships not using tugboats as much these days.

I bet the pilot and the Master aboard the container ship that struck the fender of a San Francisco/Oakland Bay Bridge support the other day wished he had had tubs guiding the ship.

58,000 gallons of fuel is now fouling the Bay - the ship ripped a 150 foot gash in the hull above the waterline and spilled the fuel.

So much for radar!

I hear that good anchovies are excellent but what are the odds of me encountering an opinion-altering anchovy in Texas?

I don't know about the anchovies but I do know how hard it is to find Italian tomatoes. A couple of years ago when we were visiting the Texas family, I decided to cook them spaghetti Amatriciana (tomatoes, onion and bacon with some red pepper flakes thrown in). I will not use anything other than canned Italian tomatoes, preferably San Marzano quality. Well, I remembered having seen them (surprisingly to me) at the WalMart in Sherman on a prior visit, so off we drove from Bonham to Sherman, a trip of about 30 miles. They no longer stocked them. So back into the car to drive to McKinney, another 30 miles or so. Finally we found a supermarket with acceptable Italian tomatoes. So, we drove about 90 miles to get the right ingredients. Ah, I thought, another reason I can't live in Texas....well, at least not Bonham.

So, we drove about 90 miles to get the right ingredients. Ah, I thought, another reason I can't live in Texas....well, at least not Bonham.

Now THAT's living in Texas! We drive 30-90 miles per day to commute to work and think nothing of it - there are few commuter trains, just cars densely commingled on the freeways.

Few Northerners realize that Texas is 800 miles across from El Paso to Texarkana. We don't run down to Boston for the day or over to Philly. None of this "walking over to the laundromat" or picking up fruit as we pass by the store.

In the old days, a watch had to be shipped to NYC for repair or a copier part was needed - everything went to New York and disappeared for weeks. My father made a point of passing thru Idlewild from Europe and going into the city to get whatever items he needed to bring back in Fort Worth (whose motto is "Foat Wuth, Ah Luv Yew").

I like the small-town effect in NYC of the streets being lined with restaurants and cafes of all kind and quality, flower vendors, tiny pharmacies and newstands. It fascinates me that I can leave the Palace Hotel in NYC, go across the street, and get a deli sandwich. I can walk out of the Marriott Marquis and walk into my theater seat. And the city dwellers can call for any kind of food to be delivered, not just pizza!

On the other hand, I don't understand how to do business in New York. I was trying to talk to a vendor on the phone about a restocking fee and he was verbally ugly and active with me. I had to hang up, call a friend in New York state, and ask how to talk to the NYC guy. I was given two short sentences to say, so I called the vendor back, repeated the sentences, and the guy says, "Oh! Okay!" To this lil ole Texas gal, it's a whole nuther world Up East. Fortunately, I know the local consul.

Ruby

Your comment about "having had another passenger in our cabin" fascinates me - no one ever talks about their drinks bill on a shipboard account so I’ve never known. Thanks.

Ruby

Ruby, on my cruises to sunny climes I usually have a beer with lunch, another in mid-afternoon at the pool, a pre-dinner martini, and two glasses of wine at dinner (a bottle would suffice for three days). The total would come out to an average of $42 per day, perhaps 1/5 of an additional passenger in my cabin!

I like black olives. I tried anchovies once (on a pizza), but found it too salty, so never had that item again. I rarely reach for a soft drink, and almost never candy.

I understand your disinterest in the complimentary bottle of wine; it would be similar if the cruise line gave me a complimentary pack of cigarettes - I would either toss it into the trash can or give it to a smoker.

Donald D'maniac.

So this got me reflecting on the "old days" again when drinks were not the big money maker they now are for the cruise lines. I managed to locate this wine list from our 1965 transatlantic voyage on board Michelangelo. The cover is pretty enough with this sensuous Caravaggio painting of Bacchus, but the prices are even more fantastic. They range from $.60 to $1.20 per bottle, not per glass! I know the dollar isn't worth what it was in 1965, but these prices were cheap even then.

Thank you, Conte, for sharing the wine list from 1965. I agree that the prices were cheap even then. I remember on the Rotterdam's transcanal cruise in 1989, I usually had one or two hard drinks before dinner. I recall that the prices per drink was something like $1.35 to $1.50, and nowadays they are around $6.00. I also drank one or two beers daily, each of which were around $1.00.

It was in the late 1990s when the cruise lines hiked the drink prices to comparable levels on shore.

Donald D'maniac.