Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Can anyone tell me why the original Fred Olsen put the period mark in his corporate name?

How very sad today that Minerva II is evidently slipping under the waves off the coast of Antarctica. And how wonderful that the Nordnorge was able to bring all passengers and crew safely and comfortably onboard.

Dave, no worries about tiny cabins onboard the Saga Sisters. Each ship has some really tight floor plans and any booking agent can tell you the square meter-floor space. You will spend at least half a morning on Saga Rose looking at the many Stephen Card oils as they are displayed in the public rooms and, particularly, in the Britannia Lounge.

As you leave the South Cape bar and walk into the Lounge, there is a Card rendering of an exciting event on Saga Rose in Cape Farewell Passage (Prins Christian Sund) - an iceberg had nearly closed the Passage and, with great seamanship and a tender keeping watch in the water, the ship squeezed thru with about 10 feet of clearance. The black-and-white photo is riveting and Stephen Card's oil of that event is quite nicely done.

As far as I can tell, Stephen Card spends months each year on the Saga Sisters, going back and forth from Sydney to Bermuda. He avoids flying, he is an ex-sea captain, he is the official artist for Saga Cruises and many other lines - lucky man.

To Donald - a cheery bon voyage to you on Vision. I hope you find warm sun and blue skies to erase the grey Vancouver winter.

Ruby

Ruby - I've always wondered about the dot in Fred. Olsen, too. I have always supposed it must be a Norwegian thing, or else it is just something archaic that we don't do any more (the company dates to the 19th Century).

As for the ship sinking in Antarctica, that's EXPLORER... As usual, much of the (non-travel) media seems to be getting wrong what the ship is called, who owns her, etc. I can't blame since there are two EXPLORERs plus an EXPLORER II (which used to be the MINERVA, and will be again, soon). That's not to mention the upcoming NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER (wonder if they'll change the name now?), the EXPLORER OF THE SEAS, the ATOLL EXPLORER, the GALAPAGOS EXPLORER II :eek: :rolleyes: ...

I wish cruise lines did not insist on using such repetitive names - someone says "EXPLORER", and how are you supposed to know what they're talking about?

Poor ship. She dates all the way back to 1969 when she was built by Lars-Erik Lindblad as LINDBLAD EXPLORER, the very first purpose-built expedition cruise ship. Sad to see her meet this kind of end :( . But of course it is very, very fortunate that her passengers and crew were rescued by NORDNORGE.

As for the ship sinking in Antarctica, that's EXPLORER... As usual, much of the (non-travel) media seems to be getting wrong what the ship is called, who owns her, etc. I can't blame since there are two EXPLORERs plus an EXPLORER II (which used to be the MINERVA, and will be again, soon). That's not to mention the upcoming NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC EXPLORER (wonder if they'll change the name now?), the EXPLORER OF THE SEAS, the ATOLL EXPLORER, the GALAPAGOS EXPLORER IIBut of course it is very, very fortunate that her passengers and crew were rescued by NORDNORGE.

Thanks for the info. It makes my head ache to think of ship's names in the past and future, owners of ships in the past and future, on and on. I'm happy to have more informed heads than mine to give us the straight scoop. All I knew about this Explorer was that it was the little red boat and quite small.

It is my understanding that this cruise line was a pioneer in making Antarctica more accessible and interesting to cruise passengers like me who could not afford the Kepitan Klebnikov (?). I'll be interested to hear what caused the "fist-sized hole" in an ice-reinforced hull. I don't know anything about water intake rates thru a ship's hull versus fighting same with pumps onboard. I'm surprised a hole that small could sink a ship. Thoughts, anyone?

I agree about the timely rescue by Nordnorge. Those Explorer passengers were covered with stars in -5 Fahrenheit weather and calm seas. I shudder to think of any other scenarios.

Ruby

I think you may have the Minervas mixed up. I believe Minerva II is currently Royal Princess (and is a former Renaissance R class ship).

Reference Nordnorge - she is a lovely ship. We took her 7-00, Kirkenes Norway to Bergen Norway, 5 night Norwegian Coastal Voyage. They have recently re-branded that fleet Hurtigruten. A working vessel (think mail or milk trains of long ago), built with ice-strengthened hull, and accommodations almost to cruise ship standards. It was a most enjoyable trip.

I think you may have the Minervas mixed up. I believe Minerva II is currently Royal Princess (and is a former Renaissance R class ship).

As I said, I never try too hard to clarify bad news reports or messages posted in Cruise Critic. I don't know Minerva the First from Minverva the 83rd. I saw someone say the current Explorer was the Minerva II so I took that poster's note on faith. Oops!

I am supremely confident that if some factoid is incorrect, several people will hasten to correct the information.

Ruby

GOOD MORNING GANG!!!

Would you believe I have been back for 2 weeks and have just now gotten to post here??? We had a magnificent transatlantic crossing on the JEWEL OF THE SEAS. She is currently our favorite ship...comfy and gorgeous.

HI RUBY!!! Glad to see you have kept this group going...this is my favorite thread and refuge from all the other insanity herein...LOL.

Ross...CGTNORMANDIE

Welcome back, Ross.

Yes, SagaRuby is bound and determined to keep this thread going, and is doing a good job of it.

You'll have to give us some details of your crossing, and how/why this ship came about to be your favorite.

I had to laugh at your being queried about the "American men" by the curious British passengers onboard Saga Rose. I felt that way every hour of every day as I was being asked where I was from. It would have been easier to introduce myself then immediately say I was from Texas but I didn’t want to seem rude.

One strong reaction I got on Saga Rose was, "Why have you come all this way to sail on Saga?" I asked if they had sailed on American ships and they usually had not.

I’m so relieved that the popular TV series "Dallas" turned the word "Dallas" from meaning the assassination of JFK to that scalawag JR Ewing. For years after JFK was assassinated, if I told someone in Europe that I was from the Dallas area, a bellhop or waiter would say, "You shot Kennedy!" which is a rough way to start a conversation.

I had to smile at Boudicca tied up at the Dover terminal. She was the RVL Sky which I have sailed on several times. I missed seeing her beautiful blue stripe from bow to stern and back again and that wonderful sea eagle icon on the funnel. The only thing left for me from RVL is a necklace charm with a golden sea eagle as a memento.

Ruby

Odd, SagaRuby mentions the association of Dallas with JFK and then JR Ewing.

When I think of Dallas, I think of the 1950s "oater" starring Gary Cooper.

Also, Dallas brings to mind Errol Flynn, although the movie was set in and named San Antonio.

Mind does strange things with word association.

I’m so relieved that the popular TV series "Dallas" turned the word "Dallas" from meaning the assassination of JFK to that scalawag JR Ewing. For years after JFK was assassinated, if I told someone in Europe that I was from the Dallas area, a bellhop or waiter would say, "You shot Kennedy!" which is a rough way to start a conversation.[/font][/size]

I had to smile at Boudicca tied up at the Dover terminal. She was the RVL Sky which I have sailed on several times. I missed seeing her beautiful blue stripe from bow to stern and back again and that wonderful sea eagle icon on the funnel. The only thing left for me from RVL is a necklace charm with a golden sea eagle as a memento.

Ruby

My partner "emigrated" from Texas to New York in 1962. After the assassination he too was blamed for the events in Dallas. It was at that point that he relinquished his Texas drawl by joining the school's theatre (thee-AY-ter) group. He only reverts to Texas-speak when we go to visit his family, but then, I start talking Texas too! I'm very impressionable.

A few years ago, my friend, SagaVista, called me up to tell me that a store in Manhattan which sells china over-runs, had picked up Royal Viking dinnerware at the time the line was going under. So we ran over to pick up dinner plates with the RVL logo. You're welcome to come over for a simulated Royal Viking dinner.

You will spend at least half a morning on Saga Rose looking at the many Stephen Card oils as they are displayed in the public rooms and, particularly, in the Britannia Lounge.

As far as I can tell, Stephen Card spends months each year on the Saga Sisters, going back and forth from Sydney to Bermuda. He avoids flying, he is an ex-sea captain, he is the official artist for Saga Cruises and many other lines - lucky man.

Ruby

While aboard Saga Rose, I took pictures of the pictures and thought that the group might like to see some of them. They are displayed in the Britannia Lounge and North Cape Bar. Here is Saga Rose and here is a particularly fine rendition of Saga Ruby. Both of the Saga sisters are presented in this painting of the ships in a fjord. Card also painted Saga Rose in her Norwegian America Line livery and before the addition of the suprabridge cabins in this painting found in the North Cape Bar.

In addition to these pictures of Saga Rose and Saga Ruby, there are Card paintings of the Royal Yacht Britannia and Saga Pearl (ex Minerva).

Conte - Thanks so much for posting the Stephen Card oils. No matter how often I see "pictures" of the Saga Sisters, they always send me. What handsome ships they are!

In the North Cape bar on Saga Rose, did you happen to notice the black-and-white photo, then Card oil rendering, of Saga Rose easing past the coastline and iceberg? What a thrill that must have been. I would have paid a pretty penny to be on the tender that was advising the Bridge as they ever-so-slowly cleared the 10-ft. gap.

About RVL - I accept! You be dinnerware, I'll be bookmarks and sea eagle charm. The only problem is that I don't know how to pronounce "suprabridge" if we discuss the Saga Sisters. Where in the world did you learn that term? Hanging around the wrong maritime crowd up yonder in NYC?

Will you and your partner be returning to the bright lights of Broadway now that the strike has been settled?

Ruby

To Ruby

Actually, I don't recall the black and white picture you refer to.

Suprabridge (pronounced SUPRA-bridge) is totally a fabrication of my own mind but based upon the syntax of anatomy nomenclature. It is meant to refer to anything above the bridge of a ship. For example, in anatomy, the supratentorium of the brain refers to the cerebral hemispheres, which are located above (supra) the tentorium, a membrane like structure which separates the cerebral hemispheres from the cerebellum. I haven't copyrighted the term, so if any of the ship daft would like to adopt the term, they should feel free to do so. Here is an excellent example of a ship, MSC Orchestra, with a huge suprabridge which makes it look exceedingly top heavy. (It is an externally ugly ship, very anti-Saga Rose, but has very interesting interior decoration.)

Tomorrow we return to the Broadway scene, actually Off Broadway to see Edward Albee's Peter and Jerry which is actually the addition of a new first act (Homelife) to a play he wrote 40 years ago (The Zoo Story). It received rave reviews.

To Doug

We are going to attend the Ocean Liner Bazaar sponsored by the World Ship Society tomorrow. We expect to be there noonish. Are you attending?

Have recently returned from Saga Ruby cruise during which we were addressed by the Saga Travel Chief Executive who anounced that SAGA are ordering a new build ship to replace Saga Rose and that SAGA are working hard to convince the builders that they don't want a floating block of flats and the funel must be in the middle!!

The Ruby is currently in dry dock for a short refit. The internal changes include a complete revamp of the theatre, raking of the ballroom floor to improve viewing lines and some new carpeting.

Have booked booked Norway Fiords cruise for next year.

TRAMS

Have recently returned from Saga Ruby cruise during which we were addressed by the Saga Travel Chief Executive who anounced that SAGA are ordering a new build ship to replace Saga Rose and that SAGA are working hard to convince the builders that they don't want a floating block of flats and the funnel must be in the middle!!

TRAMS

This is great news! Was there any mention of which yard will be building the ship for them?

To Trams: Your information confirms what I was told in August on Saga Rose. While many scenarios were a-swirl, your news is the one I heard most consistently. I was told that the marine architects were telling Saga Cruises that they were mad to retain their insistence on a funnel midships, that it would require much bracing, add weight, and be cost-prohibitive. I was also told that Saga had to make their decision by December and shazaam! here we are.

This plan for a new Sister is why I am such a fan of Saga - they know what is right and they do exactly that. Yes, Saga Cruises are expensive but I have always said that I got what I paid for and more. I cannot help but wonder if Saga Cruises will crack open the "age" door a bit for its new Sister?

Where did you sail on your recent Saga Ruby tour? And what is the name of your Norwegian fjords itinerary? Do you go up to the North Pole or are you sailing along the west Norwegian coastline?

To Conte: Your information about the supratentorium was mind-bending. Only one of my spheres got your point and the other half didn't care. By the bye, I have scheduled our RVL luncheon for the next odd-numbered leap year. Does that coordinate with your own day planner?

According to my calculations, youse guys went to the Ocean Liner Bazaar then on to the off-Broadway play. Did you meet up with Doug Newman?

Ruby

Conte - Sorry I wasn't able to attend the Bazaar yesterday. I was planning to but did not have the time as this weekend I had been helping my grandmother migrate to Florida for the winter (she got there successfully a few hours ago, despite the snow).

Trams et al - I am happy to hear about the Saga newbuild. I knew this was in the works for some time and I am glad that a decision has evidently been made in favor of it. (Other choices were buying one of the existing vessels on the market, with PRINSENDAM the prime contender, though there was also interest in another ship I will not name that as far as I know is not for sale anyway.)

It will be interesting to see where the ship is built and if she is ready for SAGA ROSE's 2010 retirement.

have you done a review of the ruby? would love to hear what you thought of her. i was on the CARONIA twice i have the mini cruise booked on the RUBY booked for june 2008, its the only one i could afford. i love stephen cards ppaintings too. he is doing the rose next year from sydney. still hoping to meet him sometime, missed him in bermuda.

dave

HI GANG!!!

GOOD NEWS: About SAGA building a new ship...if they are smart they will go to Meyer Werft in Germany...my all time favorite yard.

HI DRUKE!!!

As you requested...a few thoughts on the RCI JEWEL OF THE SEAS. There is something about her that just makes you want to go back. Of course the JOS does not offer the small ship experience but there is an ambiance of comfort and quiet elegance that is hard to define. I think she is one of the most beautiful ships sailing today...on the inside...of course. She is full of glass so you get the feeling that you really are at sea...the best days are sea days. Her suites are better than any I have seen on a lot of other lines. The Concierge Club is a wonderful spot to sit back and enjoy the morning coffee or afternoon tea or cocktails in the evening. The Concierge concept is also quite nice...complimentary cocktails and hot and cold hors d'oeuvres after 5:30 PM. The JOS also has a high activity level...which is fun to watch. The entertainment is fantastic...as is the main theater. The main dining room is SPECTACULAR...at least 3 decks high and gorgeous. All the folks I talked to seemed to think that she was much better than the QM 2...in many ways. The crew was tremendous...every single one smiling and courteous. I think the key to all of this is to take this ship when it is on an extended voyage. Our transatlantic crossing was 12 days and the voyage was as good as any I have ever taken.

Ross

Thanks for the response.

We've never been on RCI, although we were on a ship/line that eventually ended up under their flag. The old Stardancer, under Sundance Cruises (started by Stan McDonald, same fellow who started Princess those many years ago). Sundance folded into Admiral Cruises, which was taken over by Royal Caribbean.

RCI took the car decks out of Stardancer, added cabins, and renamed her Viking Serenade. She is long gone from the RCI fleet.

Hello everyone,

I was exchanging messages with Conte di Savoia over on the Holland America page he her alerted me to the fact that there was an up and running SAGA ROSE page. I've read through several pages of messages written this year and will try to get through the remaining fifty or so in the next few days!

I see that my name has been mentioned a few times, though thankfully nothing untoward was mentioned.:eek:

Is anyone booked on the '08 world cruise or on the RUBY's September 08 cruise to Greenland/Montreal/New York cruise?

Well, I just wanted to say 'hello'.

Stephen

(the painter)

HELLO STEPHEN!!! AND WELCOME TO "THE BEST THREAD ON CRUISE CRITICS".

I am playing host for RUBY who is busy house hunting with her daughter. I believe I speak for all of us when I say...WE REALLY LIKE YOUR WORK!!! LOL!!!

HI DRUKE! I believe the good old "SUNDANCER" went under a few years ago...and I do mean to the bottom of the sea.

Ross