Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

19,000 passengers were at St. Maarten when Oasis and 5 other ships were in port!

When little Victoria stopped in St. Maarten during my cruise back in 1972, her 400 passengers were the only ones ashore. I can't imagine jostling elbows with 19,000 others for vantage views on the island. No-one would get the flavour of the island.

Donald.

www.cruisenewsdaily.com reports that 19,000 passengers were at St. Maarten when Oasis and 5 other ships were in port!

In 2004, I sailed on my sole "large" ship, Celebrity's Constellation. It was my grand plan to try out a new (at that time) large ship and see if I liked it. When we got to BVI, I could see from the deck that the entire island has become a shopping mall and I could see hordes of tourists thronging the esplanades in front of the endless lines of stores. The tender to take pax to the pseudo pirate ship adventure was pulling away from the Connie. I did not disembark.

Back in the day, like Donald, I was on the only ship moored in a Caribbean town. Now I see photos of tiny Alaskan ports clogged with 6 megaships, I see photos of a "battleship row" of cruise ships in the Virgin Islands. The purpose for my travel is to see and learn local colour and culture, all of which have long since disappeared from Caribbean islands into a sea of tourists.

I was so fortunate to have my parents drag me around much of the world in the '50s and '60s. The bloom is off the Caribbean rose for me. I shall not return.

Ruby

Virginia & I avoid the Caribbean whenever possible. We just don't care for it, and feel the same way about Mexico.

I cruise to these places during winter mainly for the sun and warmth, missing from Vancouver during that time of year, as well as relaxation and pampering by the cruise staff. Most of the time I don't even get off the ship.

Air travel has suddenly become even less attractive. Because of the latest terrorism attempt, Canadian airports are requiring passengers going to U.S.A. to submit to body pat-downs and inspection of all carry-on material. Going through security will now result in slow, lengthy line-ups, and those flying to U.S.A. are advised to go to the airport THREE hours before the scheduled departure time! Does anyone want to bet that passenger air traffic will continue to decline in North America?

Donald.

well back from my cruise on BALMORAL for 7 nights had a great time with like mided ship lovers from magazine SHIPS MONTHLY there wsas 40 of us at a great price including tours in all ports; AAHUS, KIEL CANAL,HAMBURG, AND AMSTERDAM. a bit windy when we left but she handled it well. had some snow in amsterdam. a real hassle getting home from dover as all the roads WERE BLOCKED! roll on my next cruise. still no idea where SAGA ROSE is going!

all the best

dave

Hi, Dave. Glad to hear that you had a great time on Balmoral!

As for Saga Rose, her fate is uncertain. The latest information, according to Maritime Matters:

"December 13: SAGA ROSE (ex SAGAFJORD, GRIPSHOLM) which departed Southampton with a crew of 66 on December 7 (following the end of her service for Saga Holidays), remains in the Eastern Anchorage, about 2 miles off Gibraltar, awaiting 'orders'. It remains unclear what her next destination will be."

Donald.

I am ready to put the "oughts" in the rearview with hope that the next decade will be more beneficial to everyone. It is, indeed, a hope, not an expectation.

I must admit the Carribean has never really attracted me, and from your posts, even less so now. I would love to do the Amazon and Panama Canal though.

I loved my 3 transits of the Panana Canal - I highly recommend it. The surprise was that Gatun Lake takes hours to cross; the 3 (?) sets of locks are amazing.

I cruise to these places during winter mainly for the sun and warmth, missing from Vancouver during that time of year, as well as relaxation and pampering by the cruise staff. Most of the time I don't even get off the ship.

Air travel has suddenly become even less attractive. Because of the latest terrorism attempt, Canadian airports are requiring passengers going to U.S.A. to submit to body pat-downs and inspection of all carry-on material. Going through security will now result in slow, lengthy line-ups, and those flying to U.S.A. are advised to go to the airport THREE hours before the scheduled departure time! Does anyone want to bet that passenger air traffic will continue to decline in North America? Donald.

I hear ya about visiting opposite to a current season and getting a break from local weather. And I am so glad that I'm not doing air travel overseas. Fingers crossed for full-body scans; I would love to stand in that line. Does that mean I can bring my own water bottle, keep my shoes on, have use of my carry-on? The concept of no book reading, no written materials, no bathroom breaks, no standing up in the aisle to retrieve objects from the overhead bin - egad! Even people in prison are allowed to use the toilet.

Here's to better tomorrows.

Ruby

We've done the Kiel Canal twice, and enjoyed it very much.

I thought the Suez Canal a tad boring, but glad that I have seen it.

The Panama Canal is fascinating (three times through).

Don't know if I'll ever get around to the Corinth Canal, but who knows?

Cruising seems a long way away at the moment, from a snowed-in West Country !! Hard to believe I was sunbathing in the Canaries just four weeks ago.

Edited by ships cat

in london it is cold and icy but all the transport is ok. yes thinking of better weather and summer. so envious my friend is sunning themselves in 39c on the australian beach while we are freeeezing!! going on NCL EPIC in june on 1 nt ROTTERDAM-SOTON and transatltic to new york. also staying on the SS ROTTERDAM before she looks outstanding!

dave

in london it is cold and icy but all the transport is ok. yes thinking of better weather and summer. so envious my friend is sunning themselves in 39c on the australian beach while we are freeeezing!! going on NCL EPIC in june on 1 nt ROTTERDAM-SOTON and transatltic to new york. also staying on the SS ROTTERDAM before she looks outstanding!

dave

That sounds nice Dave. Will the Rotterdam be ready though? When I was there in November the project had been put on hold due to the credit crunch. Lovely looking ship though.

122%20The%20SS%20Rotterdam.JPG

i was booked in it twice but had to cancel, my friend has just been onboard she looks fantastic. opens in february. not staying there till june though

dave

That's great. I must look into a long weekend there sometime.

Cruising seems a long way away at the moment, from a snowed-in West Country !! Hard to believe I was sunbathing in the Canaries just four weeks ago.

I saw the satellite map of Great Britain during this latest horrid weather and send all best wishes for warmer weather in the UK. It looks beastly cold Over Yonder.

I am gobsmacked by the photo of Rotterdam. It actually looks like a ship! How did that happen?!!

Michael - when will Marina be out on the seas and underway?

Ruby

Marina's maiden voyage is scheduled for 1-22-11, Barcelona to Miami. followed by two Panama Canal transits, one Caribbean cruise, and back to Barcelona (from Miami) 3-28-11.

Bookings open (for past passengers) Wed., 1-13-l0, and to the general public a week or 10 days later.

We thought hard about the 1st trans Atlantic, but now think we are going to wait for Marina's as yet unnamed sister to come out, July 2011, for a whole bunch of reasons.

Our mutual friend, Richard Turnbull and his lovely wife, Vivian, are trying to book the initial Panama Canal transit, 2-8-11, Miami to San Francisco. We thought about that also, but we've done the Canal three times already, so passed on that trip.

Edited by Druke I

I saw the satellite map of Great Britain during this latest horrid weather and send all best wishes for warmer weather in the UK. It looks beastly cold Over Yonder.

I am gobsmacked by the photo of Rotterdam. It actually looks like a ship! How did that happen?!!

Ruby

Hi Ruby. Rotterdam looks like a ship because she was built in the 1950s. She was rescued and brought back to her home port to be turned into a floating hotel like Queen Mary. I would love a few nights on baord sometime.

Thanks for your good wishes but they ain't working!! More snow forecast tomorrow!! Still at least my hospital visit went OK with a hopefully positive outcome so I can look forward to some sun at least in April on Artemis :D

Hi Ruby. Rotterdam looks like a ship because she was built in the 1950s. She was rescued and brought back to her home port to be turned into a floating hotel like Queen Mary. I would love a few nights on baord sometime.

Thanks for your good wishes but they ain't working!! More snow forecast tomorrow!! Still at least my hospital visit went OK with a hopefully positive outcome so I can look forward to some sun at least in April on Artemis :D

Pleased you received a positive outcome from your hospital visit, so you can look forward to more cruising in April on Artemis, Sharon.

Where to this time? Is this a favourite ship, as I notice you've sailed on her before? How many passengers does she carry? I recall reading that she will be leaving P&O in 2011 (after being refurbished in 2007). Is this correct?

Funny old world we live in. Here we have catastrophic bushfire warnings for northern Victoria and southern NSW, heatwaves (38 in Canberra today), widespread flooding (even the Todd River in Alice Springs is flowing), whilst you have record snow and ice.

Edited by MMDown Under

I'll jump in here, if you don't mind.

Artemis sailed as the Royal Princess for Princess lines, and is a lovely ship. Roughly 45,000GRT, 1200 PAX, all outside cabins. Great size! Built in '64, by Wartsila, Finland.

We sailed on her four times while she was Royal Princess. She takes to rough water quite well, and I think rides much much better than some of the megaships now sailing for Princess.

Pleased you received a positive outcome from your hospital visit, so you can look forward to more cruising in April on Artemis, Sharon.

Where to this time? Is this a favourite ship, as I notice you've sailed on her before? How many passengers does she carry? I recall reading that she will be leaving P&O in 2011 (after being refurbished in 2007). Is this correct?

Funny old world we live in. Here we have catastrophic bushfire warnings for northern Victoria and southern NSW, heatwaves (38 in Canberra today), widespread flooding (even the Todd River in Alice Springs is flowing), whilst you have record snow and ice.

Michael is correct as always Marion. Artemis is my favourite ship afloat but this will be my last trip on her as P&O have sold her to Phoenix Reisen so she will be under the German flag (and language) from Feb '11. It will be a 20 night Med cruise from Southampton to Istanbul and back, via some of my favourite ports - Rome, Naples, Barcelona etc. I hope I may have thawed out by then! As you say - funny weather everywhere. My friend in Albany NY has seen hardly any snow and we are deluged! You have bush fires, the Med has heavy rain.

Michael is correct as always Marion. Artemis is my favourite ship afloat but this will be my last trip on her as P&O have sold her to Phoenix Reisen so she will be under the German flag (and language) from Feb '11. It will be a 20 night Med cruise from Southampton to Istanbul and back, via some of my favourite ports - Rome, Naples, Barcelona etc. I hope I may have thawed out by then! As you say - funny weather everywhere. My friend in Albany NY has seen hardly any snow and we are deluged! You have bush fires, the Med has heavy rain.

Had a chance to look at your photos and read your comments on Artemis. It certainly looks a lovely ship, so I can see why you and Michael like it so much.

Did you hear that Melbourne had 30.6c min and 40c max the night before last - the highest min on record?

We all worry about the high bushfire risk in the southern states at this time of year, which seem to be increasing.

I'm hoping the weather will be mild when we're in Melbourne for the Australian Tennis Open next week. However, one always has to take layers to Melbourne, just in case, because its weather can be changeable.

I'm ready for my annual tennis and live theatre fix in Melbourne, which is a beautiful city, with lovely parks and gardens.

Ahhhh - a blissful dream, temps in the 30s... - yes it did make our news. Hottest night ever I think. OK, I realise it is not funny, people die of the heat and the bushfires must be terrible. But it's snowing again!! I may have to miss another day's work if I can't get down this hill in the car, I am taking a hot water bottle to bed (which I haven't done for years!) and the Government is rationing road salt/grit!!

A cruise seems perfect round about now!

Edited by ships cat