Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

everything that could go wrong did!! poor service in dining room and in bars. 3 hours to have dinner, the shows were over by then but heard they were really poor! had to carry your own luggage off the ship! breakfast in dining room was a shambles.

late arrival, delayed excursions till 12 noon and no later departure. get out of cabin by 0830 despite us not arriving till neary 12 noon.then some were given tickets for buses others were not! we waited hours for 20 buses to tilbury till we finally got on our bus to victoria. they gave an excuse that some staff could not get to the ship due to the ash but i am not buying that!

dave

Michael - I see that Oceania is sailing to Alaska in 2011. One week after the state adjusted downward the "head tax," Frank del Rio announced several Alaskan cruises.

Cruise Critic quotes del Rio as saying that the cruise fares include "bottled water and soft drinks." Which is a direct change from when we were on Nautica. I am a big fan of Oceania but, in Istanbul when I first walked into my cabin and saw the liter bottle of water with a large price tag on it, I was offput - "large" in the sense of expensive. I was taken aback, wondering if we were going to be nitpicked for 26 days but that proved not to be the case.

What were your thoughts about so minimal an item on your Oceania cruise? And will you and Virginia be looking at these cruises?

Ruby

Yes, Virginia and I are considering a return to Alaska with Oceania, but it would probably be in 2012 rather than 2011.

I don't think Oceania's going North to Alaska has anything to do with Alaska's now reduced "head tax", but more to do with having a 4th ship in the fleet with a 5th abuilding, and of course passengers' requests. A 4th & 5th ship certainly gives them many more options for differing itineraries..

Reference the free water and sodas, I don't consider that a big deal - although Virginia does use only bottled water, both at home and on trips. She has a more sensitive "tummy".

I wasn't put off by Oceania charging for bottled water - it is a very common charge everywhere.

Just look at the thread numbers, Ruby. Over 3300 posts, and 99,000 views!!

Edited by Druke I

Last day on here now for three weeks :) Now the ?fun? part of trying to pack everything into a miserable two cases and a holdall! I know - no sympathy from those of you who have to fly to reach the ship :( But now this has become a bit of a working holiday too, I have to take a laptop etc, and it's stretching even my packing skills!!

Happy cruising for the rest of you about to embark.

Edited by ships cat

Last day on here now for three weeks :) Now the ?fun? part of trying to pack everything into a miserable two cases and a holdall! I know - no sympathy from those of you who have to fly to reach the ship :( But now this has become a bit of a working holiday too, I have to take a laptop etc, and it's stretching even my packing skills!!

Happy cruising for the rest of you about to embark.

All the best for a fun, fun, fun-filled cruise on Royal Princess, uh, Artemis. I'm confused - if you're leaving from a UK port, why do you have to limit your cases? And could you "forget" to take your laptop?

Ruby

Thanks Ruby. It's Artemis - she used to be Royal Princess 1984-2005, soon to be Artania :eek:

I don't have to limit baggage for the ship but I only have a small car and besides - it's embarrassing turning up with half my worldly goods ! :o Actually the laptop maybe left behind. I cannot cope with all the hand luggage otherwise. I'll go back to good old notebook and pen :)

Bon Voyage, ships cat!

When you return in three weeks, I will be gone for two weeks on my next cruise.

Donald

Have a lovely time in Alaska Donald - and when you get back I will be on QM2 :) , but only for four nights!

Give me your thoughts about current air travel. I know that you and Virginia have accrued large numbers of air miles to get from CA to Istanbul, or CA to the UK to visit your daughter - who may now live with her family in Hong Kong.

I find that I no longer want to do the long-haul trips, even for a delightful cruise. I can't tell if fifty years of travel have finally given me my fill of exotic locales or if it's the current regrettable state of airline travel.

As we all know, I am green with envy for those of you who live on a coastline and who can drive a car to a port, embark a ship, and enjoy a cruise. But long-haul flights are sometimes necessary even for those of you on the Left or Right Coasts or the island of the UK and I find them quite off-putting nowadays.

Your thoughts?

Ruby

As we know, the title of this thread refers to Saga Rose and my educational, exciting cruise to Greenland. Before I left for that trip on August 1, 2007, the views were 6,530. I wondered if the thread would still be active by the time I got back some three weeks later. Short answer - everybody was still chatting back and forth about cruises and life and we still are - in the most civil, informative way. But 100,000 views? Obviously impossible.

Every day I look at our thread and enjoy what you are saying, where you are going, and I learn from all of you.

It is sad that Saga Rose has left service and become some kind of rental, accommodations ship. But the world moves on as does our thread.

To all you lovely correspondents and the many lurkers - thanks.

Ruby

As we know, the title of this thread refers to Saga Rose and my educational, exciting cruise to Greenland. Before I left for that trip on August 1, 2007, the views were 6,530.

Ruby

Hi Ruby.....it's me!! And BRAVO for your fabulous little thread that could! Matter of fact I seem to remember you suggesting that I take a look at "this little thread I started" way back then. And look at it still going strong....lovely. I lurk on and off and it's delightful to see the different voyages of others discussed in an informative way.

I feel your pain over flying as I agonize over having to choose which less than enjoyable airline to book to get to the UK in August...and then back! UGH!

Well done!! And yes, the "Affair" continues, as does the writing of it.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

Donald, what ports does Mercury visit on this 2-week cruise? Many Alaskan cruises are 7 days, or 10 or 12. How far north does the ship go - perhaps to Seward?

There is some new port-of-call on Alaskan cruises - it looked like an Inuit name. But do you think you've fully covered the possibilities by now? Do you intend to get off the ship or are you inclined to stay onboard to enjoy the ship's facilities?

Ruby

There are 2 sea days to Seattle after departure from Los Angeles. Another sea day (in the open ocean off the west coast of Vancouver Island) to Ketchikan. Then Juneau & Skagway before finally reaching Hubbard Glacier. After that, it's Icy Strait Point and Sitka before a sea day to Victoria (again in the open ocean), with arrival in Vancouver on the next day. I do hope that the Pacific Ocean will be rough, just to make the voyage that much more interesting.

So: a 5pm departure from Los Angeles, 7 ports, 1 glacier and 4 sea days = 13 nights. As this itinerary is not exactly a sunbathing one, I probably will step ashore in each of the seven ports.

I always browse in the bookstores in Sitka and Juneau, which usually possesses interesting reading material. Ketchikan has a candy store, Ketchicandies, where I always buy no-sugar candy to bring home. My father was diabetic and my doctor had warned me to watch my sugar intake.

Skagway is good enough to stretch one's legs. Icy Strait Point isn't much, but has a few shops and a path through the woods which will be nice, unless it rains (in which case I will stay snug and warm aboard the ship with a book). Seattle? Maybe just a look-see around Pike's Market. Victoria? I'm not too crazy over flowers, so I may just saunter around the downtown area (again, depending on the weather).

As you know, on cruises my intention is just to relax and enjoy myself.

Donald.

There is (or used to be) a very good bookstore on the main drag of Ketchikan, only a few yards from the dock.

I picked up a book on P&O's ships to and from Australia there; had never seen it offered in any other bookstore.

Love to prowl bookstores - particularly that big one in Portland OR (name eludes me at the moment).

I've been to Ketchikan several times and never noticed a bookstore on the main drag. It probably closed before my first time there in 1999. In the bookstores in Juneau and Sitka I've bought interesting books - usually about passenger liners - which I've never seen in Vancouver bookstores.

I've been to that fascinating bookstore in Portland; I also don't remember its name.

Donald.

There are 2 sea days to Seattle after departure from Los Angeles. Another sea day (in the open ocean off the west coast of Vancouver Island) to Ketchikan. Then Juneau & Skagway before finally reaching Hubbard Glacier. After that, it's Icy Strait Point and Sitka before a sea day to Victoria (again in the open ocean), with arrival in Vancouver on the next day. I do hope that the Pacific Ocean will be rough, just to make the voyage that much more interesting.

So: a 5pm departure from Los Angeles, 7 ports, 1 glacier and 4 sea days = 13 nights. As this itinerary is not exactly a sunbathing one, I probably will step ashore in each of the seven ports. Donald.

So you fly to LAX for embarkation then disembark in Vancouver? Interesting. The joys of a cruise then being dropped off at your front door.

I looked up the new "hot" port in Alaska and it is Hoonah of which I have never heard. One wonders what exciting sights and tours are to be enjoyed in Hoonah.

In Sitka, back in the '90s when I did my two Alaska cruises, I still have a fond memory of a pure malachite desk with gold trim sitting in a dark corner on the second floor of a small mall. It was a real beauty and certainly made the point of the Russian influence. The sole factoid I remember is that it cost $$40,000 and I have since wondered how much it weighs.

To quote the song, I am leaving on a jet plane tomorrow for two weeks at a favoured condo in Maui. Y'all behave yourselves and, if not, be sure to tell me upon my return.

Ruby

Thanks, Michael. Attached you will find the exact condo room I will be occupying with that drop-dead view. This condo is the only one on the beach; all others in that area are across the street. I've been going to Maui for over 30 years and it is still my personal favourite place with the ocean tides pounding on the lava deadfall at the edge of the beach - my personal lullaby.

I have recently learned of a lavender farm in Kula which you probably know is upcountry on Haleakala. It will be a new site for me to visit I was surprised to learn that Whole Foods has recently opened a store in Kahalui, next to the airport. Ah, progress. Or is it?

Ruby

428738232_manakairoom.jpg.b5f2fc6f042676a1e126b960d12fc542.jpg