Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Having met Saga Ruby on Oceania's Nautica, Istanbul to Singapore, I would not consider her threat to bang on the ceiling an idle threat.

It would be worth the cost of admission to see her tell the story at a later date, with her nose crinkling as she laughs!

She can be very good company.

Ruby, actually I do not disagree with you. The fact that I've generally had good experiences on HAL ships does not invalidate reports made by others of their unfortunately bad experiences on the same or similar ships. Attitudes of staff may reflect the amount of training or supervision that they get from their superiors. Who knows, I just might have a "cruise from Hell" on Ryndam next April?

Donald.

Having met Saga Ruby on Oceania's Nautica, Istanbul to Singapore, I would not consider her threat to bang on the ceiling an idle threat. It would be worth the cost of admission to see her tell the story at a later date, with her nose crinkling as she laughs! She can be very good company.

Oh, Michael, you have me laughing! And yes indeed, I would thump on the ceiling with a broom handle. Consider this - the Bridge staff would think something terrible was happening with the mechanics of the ship and I do believe that, after they figured out it's a passenger with hardware problems, I would receive swift attention. The trick would be to keep up a rhythmic thumping on the ceiling, imitating a new, continuous problem in the engine room. Oh dear - is that a bit too wicked? I would get swift attention or become famous as the first commercial passenger to be thrown over the side - and keelhauled.

And yes, this thread is a wonder - I was waiting for you to bring up the 2,600 posts. You are my mathematical gatekeeper.

Ruby, actually I do not disagree with you. The fact that I've generally had good experiences on HAL ships does not invalidate reports made by others of their unfortunately bad experiences on the same or similar ships. Attitudes of staff may reflect the amount of training or supervision that they get from their superiors. Who knows, I just might have a "cruise from Hell" on Ryndam next April? Donald.

Thanks for the fairness of your comments. I hope you have a good cruise as Fran's misadventures were bad enough. But what can one do except research lots of fresh information from returning passengers, both on these forums and on others? You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Ruby

And yes indeed, I would thump on the ceiling with a broom handle. Consider this - the Bridge staff would think something terrible was happening with the mechanics of the ship and I do believe that, after they figured out it's a passenger with hardware problems, I would receive swift attention.

Where on the seas would you get a broom handle. I have never been on the Prinsendam so I couldn't have left mine there.

Please understand that not everyone felt the same way as I did about the cruise. There are people who are great fans of the Zaandam and in conversation they said that they always sail this ship and have only positives to say but have heard the very same words from others regarding the crew.

Perhaps all of this is saved for those in the "cheap seats".

Ruby, I really appreciate your very kind way with words. You certainly have calmed me down. Thank you.

Fran

Where on the seas would you get a broom handle. I have never been on the Prinsendam so I couldn't have left mine there.

Please understand that not everyone felt the same way as I did about the cruise. There are people who are great fans of the Zaandam and in conversation they said that they always sail this ship and have only positives to say but have heard the very same words from others regarding the crew.

Ruby, I really appreciate your very kind way with words. You certainly have calmed me down. Thank you. Fran

You are quite welcome, Fran. If my notes have eased your memories, I'm glad to be of help. Although there are surely devoted fans of Zaandam, you have a right to point out the lesser points of light that you saw on the ship. That's what forums are for.

About the broom - now let's think about this. I have mentioned that I'm burned out on the international flights, the hours in the air, the stuffy aircraft cabins. So let's just say that there are other forms of transportation. And your little dog, too!

Ruby

The cherry on the top of this situation was the presence of fruit flies in the cabin which contained no fruit. The steward was able to talk to them and waved them out the door. Were they trained flies?

Fran

Those darn Drosophila melanogaster the product of some long forgotten fruit basket and you weren't even in a suite!! I've always wanted to take a Nile cruise but fear the possibility of a plague of locusts.

I didn't cast aspersions and would never have any thoughts of it. It was totally directed at myself.

Fran

With my emotions going up and down, I feel like an elevator. Today's Seatrader may have the answer that I have been seeking. http://www.cruisecommunity.com/ShowStory.asp?ID=16237

I do believe that it was the Aegean I not the Aegean 2 as stated in the article. I hope that this doesn't bite me too. Fran

True confessions - I didn't want to register at yet another website so could not peruse the contents. Based on my total ignorance, can you neatly related your comments? Are you going on Aegean 2?

Fran, if I can bring my "Dorian Gray" oil portrait on my cruises, Ruby certainly can bring her broom handle on hers.

Donald.

You had me smiling with that one! Do you roll up the canvas for easily portability? When are you traveling to San Diego? Day of, day before?

To Everyone Up North - it was close to 90* today in North Texas. My friends will cherish the memory of those four hours a couple of month ago where it was below freezing here. [heavy sigh] Our winter clothes will last forever.

Ruby

You had me smiling with that one! Do you roll up the canvas for easily portability? When are you traveling to San Diego? Day of, day before?

Tomorrow morning (Friday) I am flying to San Diego where I will stay overnight before embarking on Mercury on Saturday. Two ladies with whom I cruised twice before - also on Mercury - will be joining me aboard for the third time. I will meet them for dinner in Old San Diego Friday evening. It is nice to have compatible traveling companions. I am so ready for some sun and warmth because Vancouver woke up this morning to a sprinkling of snow.

As for the painting, I'm not able to roll it up because it would smooth out the wrinkles in the portrait.

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

True confessions - I didn't want to register at yet another website so could not peruse the contents. Based on my total ignorance, can you neatly related your comments? Are you going on Aegean 2?

Yellow to depart VoD for new Herrod venture (**updated**)

25/2/2009

Managing director David Yellow is leaving Voyages of Discovery on April 3 to rejoin his mentor, Gerry Herrod, in a new cruise venture using the 1973-built Aegean 1, Seatrade Insider has confirmed.

Yellow, who worked for Herrod as a member of the founding team of Ocean Cruise Lines in 1984 and Orient Lines in 1992, became md of Discovery Cruises in 2003. The brand was acquired by All Leisure Group in 2005.

Rob Bryant, chief executive of All Leisure Group, said Yellow’s position will not be filled. His duties will be reallocated.

Geoff Lawrence is assuming the overseas and UK sales and marketing activities for both Voyages of Discovery and Swan Hellenic.

Dudley Smith assumes the director of operations role for both brands, responsible for reservations, administration, operations and customer services. Both Lawrence and Smith report to Bryant

Yes I have been waiting for a year now to find out more information on the ship and its itineraries and prices.

My time in San Diego pre cruise was a combination of Donald's and Conte's. I stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. I enjoyed having the shuttle services from the airport and later to the port. I especially liked the fact that the luggage went into the vehicle from the back and we didn't have to ride with it.

That evening I had dinner and lots to catch up with someone who I took taxis with in South American ports on the Marco Polo in 2007.

I hope that you both enjoy it as much as I did.

Were the shorex mostly to view penguins or some other wildlife? How long was her cruise and did Orlova go to South Georgia and the Falklands? Did she swim in the caldera at Deception Island? Were they able to transit the Lemaire Channel?

I am particularly interested in reading personal experiences which talk about details such as the ship's interior being quite warm and other tiny factoids. If your daughter has written a journal of her adventures, I would enjoy reading it at sagaruby@verizon.net.

I am so sorry to read about the horrors of the fires in Oz. I know that, back in the 90s, bush fires were raging quite a lot, but this particular summer seems to be one of the worst. And to think that some of them may be arson - what a shocking idea in the midst of all this misery. Here's to better days.

Ruby

My daughter said she would be happy to answer any of your questions, so I'll forward them on to her.

Her cruise was the 20 day Explorers' Route, via the Falklands, South Georgia and South Shetlands, so lots of history, as well as wildlife.

She didn't swim at all.

Did you see another Quark ship got stuck in the ice later?

Yes, this will be the all time worst bushfires in Australia. We had driven through the Victorian countryside in January en route to Melbourne and commented on how tinder dry the countryside was and how much fuel there was under the trees.

Did you see another Quark ship got stuck in the ice later?

I did, indeed, read the news about Ocean Nova getting grounded. Which made me realize that every single season in Antarctica for the past several years has had a high-impact or low-impact marine accident. Whenever I read about these accidents, I wonder why the event of sinking, damage to the superstructure, or grounding is so common on these cruises. Haven't the ships' Masters heard about the incidents at the end of the world? Aren't they keeping an extra-sharp eye out? We shall see.

These seasonal incidents have caused me to rethink my packing strategy. Which clothes do I mind losing to the freezing waters? Which clothes do I pack for floating around in a lifeboat for 10 hours? By the time I get onboard Corinthian II, I may look like a bag lady.

Ruby

We did have a "bag lady" on our Crown Odyssey trans-Atlantic, 8-90.

Every meal she scooped rolls, breads, etc, into her shopping bags on the way out of the dining room.

She was well known to the crew, who did not interrupt her strange behavior.

She did look she would have been more "at home" sitting on a steam vent in NYC!

Are there any lurkers out there with technical information as to the degree of difficulty for sailing Antarctic waters? Ships ply the northern arctic waters every season, we sail into the bay of the mother of all iceberg generators, Jacobshavn in Greenland, and Disko Bay is crammed full of huge plateau 'bergs. But ships are not regularly grounding, bashing into, or sinking Up Yonder.

Why is sailing Antarctic waters so dicey compared to other oceans with ice?

C'mon - I know you know. Shed some light for us.

Ruby

hi there STEPHEN CARD(do u know him?) paints ships and ex capn. doing SAGA ROSE had probs getting his visa so is catching the ship up in DARWIN. 3 cosecutive cruises. 2Xrose plus the mystery on RUBY. am meeting him in london tomorrow. wish i was going

dave

hi there STEPHEN CARD(do u know him?) paints ships and ex capn. doing SAGA ROSE had probs getting his visa so is catching the ship up in DARWIN. 3 cosecutive cruises. 2Xrose plus the mystery on RUBY. am meeting him in london tomorrow. wish i was going

dave

Thanks for the info, Dave. Obviously you saw my thread to Stephen on the HAL forum. I do not know him but I have spent 33 days on Saga admiring his work and I know his bio as a Master. I have a high degree of interest in hearing his maritime comments on Antarctic ships running into trouble every summer season - literally.

If you run out of subjects during your visit, be sure to point him toward the HAL thread with his name on it.

I still don't know where the "mystery cruises" on Saga Cruises go. I keep forgetting to follow up on the annual sell-out cruise. And I don't understand how one packs for it!

Ruby

I still don't know where the "mystery cruises" on Saga Cruises go. I keep forgetting to follow up on the annual sell-out cruise. And I don't understand how one packs for it!

Layers Ruby, layers.

Fran

According to this AMs front page, Cruise Critic, Fred.Olsen's Balmoral (former Crown Odyssey) had a possible encounter with pirates yesterday afternoon, in the Gulf of Aden.

Details rather skimpy, but apparently the ship was approached by two skiffs. Evasive action was taken, no shots fired.

Details rather skimpy, but apparently the ship was approached by two skiffs. Evasive action was taken, no shots fired.

What is maximum speed of a skiff which is pursuing a cruise ship operating at maximum speed? I have zero information about outboards, twin motors, the speed of an RPG fired from a skiff. The theory seems to be to out-run the skiffs but can a ship outrun an RPG?

Ruby