Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Were the shorex mostly to view penguins or some other wildlife? How long was her cruise and did Orlova go to South Georgia and the Falklands? Did she swim in the caldera at Deception Island? Were they able to transit the Lemaire Channel?

I am particularly interested in reading personal experiences which talk about details such as the ship's interior being quite warm and other tiny factoids. If your daughter has written a journal of her adventures, I would enjoy reading it at sagaruby@verizon.net.

Ruby

My daughter's response to your questions:

• Shore excursions were to view numerous species of penguins and seals (more so in South Georgia), option to do a short walk on some stops. Also zodiac cruises where you stayed on the zodiac and sailed through brash ice and past spectacular glaciars.
  • If you can, definitely go via South Georgia as really different scenery from Antarctica, interesting history with former whaling stations to visit and 60,000 pair King penguin rookeries and their fluffly brown babies are a highlight.
  • Didn't swim on our trip.
  • Don't recall the Lemaire Channel.
  • We had a relatively calm trip across the Drake but Dr gave out sea-sickness pills if you wanted them.
  • Ship was quite warm. Normally had no more than a light sweater on. Lecture and dining rooms got really warm as they didn't have separate temperature control for each room.
  • We had a BBQ out on the back deck one night which was a magical experience. Had movies some nights and regular lectures while at sea so while on board there always seemed like plenty of things to do although it was also easy to be pretty lazy.
  • Got good value out of taking my own binoculars.
  • Good library on board with plenty of easy-reads as well as books on Antarctica.
  • Rooms and ensuites were comfortable and adequate.
  • Food was plentiful and a lot better quality than I'd expected.
  • Boots they give you are fine but not much insulation so I would recommend insoles and those heat packs or really warm socks.
  • Have back-up gloves as they do tend to get wet on the zodiacs.
  • I wore ski pants which were waterproof enough (got pretty smelly though with penguin poo)
  • Laundry service on board was expensive. I did some hand washing but generally found I could rewear clothes for a number of days.
  • Small shop on board. They did have "sales" as the trip progressed.

Many cruise ships top out at about 24knots, while skiffs are capable of 40+knots, perhaps more, depending on sea state.

No, a ship cannot outrun an RPG, which are in the 450knot range. A ship can out-maneuver an RPG (most are unguided).

My daughter's response to your questions. . . .

Gosh, what wonderful information and my thanks to your daughter for taking the time to relate these notes.

I was surprised to read that there are evening activities like BBQs on deck. I assumed that everyone was so busy, busy during the day that they would want to rest and sleep to recharge their batteries for the next day.

And thanks for the reminder about the binoculars. I do indeed want to bring my own. Unfortunately, I will not see South Georgia as our route is dedicated to getting as far down the Peninsula as weather permits.

Literally everyone talks about how very warm a ship's interior is on these cruises so I'm going to take her confirmation into account for my wardrobe requirements.

Again, many thanks for your daughter's information. Do you think you and DH will be taking the trip?

Ruby

Do you think you and DH will be taking the trip?

Ruby

Not sure, however would love to. It is one of those places you always dream about visiting. Would be nice to combine it with a visit to Patagonia.

There is a trip from Australia/NZ but it is double the price.

For me the most important things were a hat that covers the ears as the hood was not always sufficient and extra waterproof (if possible) gloves. I found that two pair were not always enough for each excursion as I could not find waterproof ones.

Make certain that you will be able to hold the binoculars and snap pictures with your gloves on or be able to be very quick pulling them on or off.

During my trip to Antarctica the temperature was warmer there than at home in Toronto. What I didn't take into consideration was that at home I do not spend any time outdoors in the winter. It is from the house to the car and visa versa.

Fran

It was an MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Company?) ship, at Palma Spain, but I don't recall which one.

If I run across its name, I'll repost.

Found it, on the Celbrity board: MSC Fantasia, commissioned 12-97, 133,500GRT, 1092ft long.

Edited by Druke I

fantasia i understand.

sorry ruby i only just saw your post and i already met him. i have been wtg several years since being on the NOORDAM in bermuda and missing him. WHAT A LOVELY MAN!! we went for a lovely meal in earls ct had the best TIRIMISU EVER!! and a GRAPPE! he shoul;d be justy lvh heatjhrow as i write this bound for SYDNEY AND DARWIN where he boartds the ROSE. he does 2 cruises plus the mystery he said he things he knbow where they will be vgoing but does not tell me. she vwent to cardiff last year among other places. i am leaving in 5 weeks on the NORWEGIAN STAR to ALASKA, stay on the QUEEN MARY, and a 1 nt cruise on the ZAANDAM

dave

Princess has announced a second atw cruise Sydney to Sydney 104 days commencing May 2010. This cruise will be travelling west, whilst this year's cruise will be travelling east.

Do any of the clever people on this thread know why most atw cruises travel west?

Conte's answer may be right, but did you know that P&O (UK) usually sends two ships out from Southampton in the spring, both circumnavigating the globe, one eastbound and one westbound.

Depending on itineraries, it is possible to sail from the Left Coast of the US on one ship down to Australia, kick around for a week or two, and then sail back to the US Pacific Coast on the other.

Those trips are sold as "boomerang cruises", and one I would sorely like to do. I haven't been able to convince the Missus to be gone that long.

Conte's answer may be right, but did you know that P&O (UK) usually sends two ships out from Southampton in the spring, both circumnavigating the globe, one eastbound and one westbound.

Depending on itineraries, it is possible to sail from the Left Coast of the US on one ship down to Australia, kick around for a week or two, and then sail back to the US Pacific Coast on the other.

Those trips are sold as "boomerang cruises", and one I would sorely like to do. I haven't been able to convince the Missus to be gone that long.

Yes. This is the first atw cruise to commence from Sydney, which makes it unique, however most visit Sydney en route.

My first cruise overseas was atw in both directions, however the cruise didn't start here.

The "boomerang cruises" would be a wonderful way to avoid the much hated long haul flights.

Let me tell you about an experience I recently had with P&O with whom we have sailed in the past. They were selling a segment of Aurora's easterly world cruise from San Francisco through the Panama Canal back to Southampton lasting 21 days. We were interested in a transcanal cruise but wanted to disembark in Antigua and fly home to New York from there. They agreed to "allow" us to leave the ship in Antigua but they would charge us the full 21 day fare. Needless to say we declined the opportunity and presumably the cabin we would have occupied is not generating any income for them. I'm glad they are doing well in the current economic crisis.

The take home message is that if your proposed HOHO itinerary does match the marketed segments, you might not be able to do it. We never had this problem with Regent which was more than willing to arrange the itinerary we wanted.

Let me tell you about an experience I recently had with P&O with whom we have sailed in the past. They were selling a segment of Aurora's easterly world cruise from San Francisco through the Panama Canal back to Southampton lasting 21 days. We were interested in a transcanal cruise but wanted to disembark in Antigua and fly home to New York from there. They agreed to "allow" us to leave the ship in Antigua but they would charge us the full 21 day fare. Needless to say we declined the opportunity and presumably the cabin we would have occupied is not generating any income for them. I'm glad they are doing well in the current economic crisis.

The take home message is that if your proposed HOHO itinerary does match the marketed segments, you might not be able to do it. We never had this problem with Regent which was more than willing to arrange the itinerary we wanted.

I'm not surprised that you didn't take up their generous offer. :)

I was surprised to learn through CC that cruiselines release berths on the same ship to different world markets at different times.

I can understand maybe releasing details of segments of an atw after the whole atw, but not the exact same product. Could world pricing have something to do with it?

while all is doing the list of ships they've been on here's mine!

QE2

M.S. disko

CUNARD DYNASTY

COSTA VICTORIA

GOLDEN PRINCESS

SONG OF AMERICA

NIEUW AMSTERDAM

SEABOURN SUN

SEABOURN PRIDE

MINERVA 2

MELODY

OOSTERDAM

NOORDAM

REGENT NAVIGATOR

REGENT VOYAGER

ROYAL PRINCESS

LEGEND OF THE SEAS

SPLENDOUR OF THE SEAS

THOMSON CELEBRATION

THOMSON DESTINY

ADONIA

CORONIA

QM2

SAGA RUBY

THE WORLD

BLACK PRINCE

BLACK WATCH

BOUDICCA

BRAEMAR

NORWEGIAN DAWN

NORWEGIAN DREAM

FUTURE CRUISES

NORWEGIAN STAR

MSC ORCHESTRA

ZAANDAM

VOLENDAM

QUEEN ELIZABETH

SHIPS VISITED BUT NOT CRUISES ON

DOULOS

DEUTSCHLAND

NORWEGIAN GEM

GRAND PRINCESS

SAGA ROSE

ROTTERDAM

AMSTERDAM

THAT'S IT I THINK

DAVE

seabourn pride my have cruiseline as they are small.

my fave cruise was melody 3 weeks to seychelles,suez,israel,egypt and suez

dave

Wow - I can see why Seabourn Pride is your favourite.

Sounds like a wonderful cruise on the Melody. What line is that ship?

I haven't been on enough ships to have a favourite yet. :)

while all is doing the list of ships they've been on here's mine!

QE2

M.S. disko

CUNARD DYNASTY

COSTA VICTORIA

GOLDEN PRINCESS

SONG OF AMERICA

NIEUW AMSTERDAM

SEABOURN SUN

SEABOURN PRIDE

MINERVA 2

MELODY

OOSTERDAM

NOORDAM

REGENT NAVIGATOR

REGENT VOYAGER

ROYAL PRINCESS

LEGEND OF THE SEAS

SPLENDOUR OF THE SEAS

THOMSON CELEBRATION

THOMSON DESTINY

ADONIA

CORONIA

QM2

SAGA RUBY

THE WORLD

BLACK PRINCE

BLACK WATCH

BOUDICCA

BRAEMAR

NORWEGIAN DAWN

NORWEGIAN DREAM

SEA DREAM 1

SUN BAY 1

ARION

FUNCHAL

QUEEN VICTORIA

EURODAM

MAXIM GORKY

=38!

DAVE

Aegean I will most probably have a new name. Gerry Herrod has given the previous ships a new identity. It will then have a clean slate. I don't know when that will be as he has stated that he is not ready to divulge any information about it.

I , for one, am anxiously awaiting.

Fran

I received by Royal Mail today an offer to join beautiful Saga Rose on her final voyage in October. Two years ago when I was on that ship, the waiting list for her last cruise was extensive. I knew the global economy was bad - I didn't realize it was this bad.

I shall miss her sailing on the high seas.

Ruby