Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

I'd love to do a circumnavigation of Australia, and another trans-Pacific always appeals to me.

We've been "down under" three times, and it is a wonderful part of the world. If I could have obtained medical insurance, I might well have retired to North Island, New Zealand, in the Bay of Islands area. We did talk about it, but. . . . . . . .

I could live in the Bay of Islands also Michael.

Some of the circumnavigations of Australia and the trans Pacific cruises have more ports of call than others. I suspect the increasing amount of competition being offered will result in better itineraries.

Most of the repositioning cruises come down Sept/Oct and return around April. However, I know there is one where people are cruising down and back on the same ship, which would be wonderful for those who no longer wish to fly, what with jet lag and over zealous security.

Do you think the 15 day Hawaii cruises from San Diego will be popular?

I think so. All of the Hawaiian cruises that I've been on have been solidly booked. It appeals to those who don't mind 4 and 5 leisurely days at sea, which I love.

Donald.

I think so. All of the Hawaiian cruises that I've been on have been solidly booked. It appeals to those who don't mind 4 and 5 leisurely days at sea, which I love.

Donald.

I also love sea days, which is when you're able to get into the rhythm of life on a ship.

I know I wouldn't like port intensive itineraries - "If it is Tuesday, it must be Belgium"!

I also love sea days, which is when you're able to get into the rhythm of life on a ship. I know I wouldn't like port intensive itineraries - "If it is Tuesday, it must be Belgium"!

Another sea day lover here. I find port-intensive cruises somewhat exhausting.

Count me in that group. When Michael, Virginia, and I were on Nautica, even tho' it was a long cruise, we were hitting Cairo and Luxor, each city requiring hours of driving in vans from the ports to the historic sites. Fortunately, in between those cities, we leisurely sailed the Suez Canal which let me catch my breath but the long sail to Oman was a great relief. The reason I like the "Vancouver to Tokyo" itinerary is that it is mostly sea days. Whew!

ships cat - I see you are on the QE in two months. What ports will you be visiting and where do you sail from?

Ruby

Count me in that group. When Michael, Virginia, and I were on Nautica, even tho' it was a long cruise, we were hitting Cairo and Luxor, each city requiring hours of driving in vans from the ports to the historic sites. Fortunately, in between those cities, we leisurely sailed the Suez Canal which let me catch my breath but the long sail to Oman was a great relief. The reason I like the "Vancouver to Tokyo" itinerary is that it is mostly sea days. Whew!

Ruby

On our last TA, we reluctantly gave up on Marrakesh because of the long hours of driving each way in a bus to get there. Fortunately, we were able to spend a delightful relaxing day in Casablanca instead family watching, as it was a public holidays with lots of families out and about.

Those who chose Marrakesh came back exhausted.

Of course, I'd still like to visit Marrakesh for a longer visit one day, but it may not happen.

Those who chose Marrakesh came back exhausted. Of course, I'd still like to visit Marrakesh for a longer visit one day, but it may not happen.

You have hit the nail on the head. Substitute "Cairo" for Marrakesh and you have brilliantly summarized my feelings about a shore excursion for Cairo. It is a two-hour drive from Port Said, then a long day doing the tourist thing, then two hours back. I had asked DeCastro Travel if it were possible to charter a helicopter from the port to Cairo but the Egyptian military forbides any helicopter in their airspace other than their own.

Then we sailed thru the Suez Canal, docked in Safaga, three hours in a van to Luxor and a very long tourist day, overnight, back in the van at 6:45am, three hours thru the desert to Safaga. Those three days were the most exhausting days of travel I have ever had. For Luxor, it was six hours of travel just to get back and forth to the sites.

As you so rightly said, one realizes why visitors spend days or weeks in Egypt and one has a theoretical hope to expand one's experience in that country, but reality says it is not going to happen.

So many places, so little time.

Ruby

A tip of the hat to Donald who now knows that Saga Ruby is coming to Vancouver in a year and hasn't pack up and moved away - yet.

Ruby

I am looking forward to seeing Ruby. Yesterday I visited a friend from my ex-workplace and we went to Canada Place a couple of blocks away. The Silver Shadow was among the three cruise ships docked there. A lovely vessel. It was not hard for me to imagine Ruby on the top deck, waving her hand like Queen Elizabeth, as the ship majestically sailed away. I'll have to take a photograph next year. :)

Donald.

Hi everyone - not had time to post for a while as I am frantically trying to complete the book on Royal Princess/Artemis in four weeks time. We had a wonderful day visit to her yesterday, and managed to photograph the galley, bridge, kitchen storerooms etc, as well as get stuck in the crew lift !!

You asked where QE was going Ruby. We sail from Southampton to Vigo, Lisbon, Cadiz, Gran Canaria, Tenerife, La Palma and Madeira - an exact replica in fact of QE2's maiden voyage. Just hoping for some good weather!

When your book is published, please post publisher's name, so I can order a copy - she is my favorite ship!

It should (hopefully) be available in early December Michael. The publisher is Amberley Publishing.

http://www.amberleybooks.com/shop/page/19?shop_param=

I imagine Amazon will have copies too. If everything works to plan (IF) I have one last cruise booked on her on 14th December and the Captain has agreed to sign copies on board with me! I can't wait!!

It should (hopefully) be available in early December Michael. The publisher is Amberley Publishing. If everything works to plan (IF) I have one last cruise booked on her on 14th December and the Captain has agreed to sign copies on board with me! I can't wait!!

How wonderfully exciting! The book, the last cruise, the book-signing with the Captain - zowie! Just think - the stress of your current endeavors will result in a wonderful tome full of information about a grand ship.

I'm envious of Michael who sailed on Royal Princess. I missed her by "that much" by delaying the cruise from Athens to Mombasa for a year.

Now get back to work, ships cat, and push ahead on that book!

Ruby

What do you expect to see in regard to tourist density next month when you and Mercury arrive in the various Alaskan ports? Will there be a "battleship row" of cruise ships and mobs of tourists like the Virgin Islands?

In September, what are your expectations? Tranquility in a given port or fighting your way thru crowds on the sidewalk?

Ruby

What do you expect to see in regard to tourist density next month when you and Mercury arrive in the various Alaskan ports? Will there be a "battleship row" of cruise ships and mobs of tourists like the Virgin Islands?

In September, what are your expectations? Tranquility in a given port or fighting your way thru crowds on the sidewalk?

Ruby

Mercury will be in three ports on my cruise.

Icy Strait Point (Sept. 7) permits only one cruise ship at a time.

Juneau (Sept. 9) will see all these "battleships" in a row. Until 2 p.m. there will be four ships: Sea Bird (70 passengers), Mercury (1,870), Ryndam (1,266) and Island Princess (1,974) with a total of 5,180 tourists congesting the souvenir shops in that town. It will become even worse when Sea Bird departs at 2 p.m. and Carnival Spirit (2,124) arrives, resulting in a total of 7,234 jostling and elbowing tourists.

Ketchikan (Sept. 10) will be a bit more roomy, with just three ships: Seven Seas Navigator (490) & Ryndam in addition to Mercury, bringing a total of 3,626 tourists.

In both Juneau and Ketchikan, I will bravely venture ashore to purchase sugar-free candy in Alaska Fudge Co. and Ketchicandies. In Juneau, I always visit a bookstore to see what interesting volumes might be on sale. In Ketchikan I will go to the bridge and former red-light district to take a look at the teeming salmon returning to their spawning grounds.

Diamond stores? No. Perfume stores? Nah. T-shirt stores? Nope.

Donald.

Juneau (Sept. 9) will see all these "battleships" in a row. Until 2 p.m. there will be four ships: Sea Bird (70 passengers), Mercury (1,870), Ryndam (1,266) and Island Princess (1,974) with a total of 5,180 tourists congesting the souvenir shops in that town. It will become even worse when Sea Bird departs at 2 p.m. and Carnival Spirit (2,124) arrives, resulting in a total of 7,234 jostling and elbowing tourists.

Ketchikan (Sept. 10) will be a bit more roomy, with just three ships: Seven Seas Navigator (490) & Ryndam in addition to Mercury, bringing a total of 3,626 tourists.

In both Juneau and Ketchikan, I will bravely venture ashore to purchase sugar-free candy in Alaska Fudge Co. and Ketchicandies. In Juneau, I always visit a bookstore to see what interesting volumes might be on sale. In Ketchikan I will go to the bridge and former red-light district to take a look at the teeming salmon returning to their spawning grounds.Donald.

I must admit that these daunting numbers have had an impact on my desire to "stroll around town" on our port stops next year. Thanks very much for doing the heavy lifting with the ships' pax numbers per port. You have me laughing with the reference about "bravely venture ashore" - I now see the truth in that comment.

For Kodiak, I ran shore excursions online and read that there is a local proprietary offering a Deadliest Catch experience for a shore excursion. One boards the ship and pretends to be catching king crab which are ensconced in an onboard aquarium. This offering is evidently a popular excursion. These faux shore excursions make my head hurt and extinguish any interest I might have had about exploring a small Alaskan town. Maybe the reality of Alaskan towns are like Brigadoon - the "real" town appears out of the mists only after tourist season has passed.

I see from your numbers that Alaskan ports have become the new Caribbean - one cannot discern the reality of a local population anymore than any island in the Gulf of Mexico or beyond. Is the Caribbean or the state of Alaska the new Hawaii whose culture almost disappeared under the weight of the missionaries? I see why you remain onboard much of the time during your AK cruises.

Thanks for reminding me about the Alaska Fudge Co. - I have bought fudge there and it is, indeed, delish, and an easy stroll up the main street. I'll have a nice daily fudge snack on our way to Tokyo. Did you say "sugar free?" Huh? Wha'?

You have me laughing - "teeming salmon?" Why not just lean against a wall in town and watch the teeming tourists as they rush to spend their $$$ in the shops?

Ruby

You had talked about a taking a cruise on HAL's Prinsendam - don't know if that is still in the works, but there is any interesting thread over on the HAL Board, "RevNeal Live! from msPrinsendam" by RevNeal, a prolific poster there. He seems to like the ship very much, and has been answering many questiong about it. You might want to give it a look-see.

Cruise Critic has already given the thread 5 Gold Stars!

Just look at the nmber of views for this thread - over 109,000. Amazing!

Edited by Druke I

You had talked about a taking a cruise on HAL's Prinsendam - don't know if that is still in the works, but there is any interesting thread over on the HAL Board, "RevNeal Live! from msPrinsendam" by RevNeal, a prolific poster there. He seems to like the ship very much, and has been answering many questions about it. You might want to give it a look-see.Cruise Critic has already given the thread 5 Gold Stars! Just look at the number of views for this thread - over 109,000. Amazing!

Thanks, Michael. The RevNeal lives in a small city east of Dallas and I live in a small city west of Dallas so, on the random event in years past, I checked out his threads.

It's very confusing for me to read his thread about Prinsendam in Far North - the ship is duplicating an itinerary I did on Saga Ruby in 2005. I was on Prinsendam last year on a Black Sea cruise and it interests me that RevNeal likes this smaller ship because he usually sails on the megaships. The only other thread of his that I read was the launch of Eurodam and his comments permanently cured me of any curiosity about life on a huge ship. Onboard population density is not my cuppa. I'm a bit embarrassed - when did CCritic start awarding gold stars for threads?

Yes, the number of views on this thread is amazing. As I've said before, who knew that this thread would outlast the ship?!! And it is my personal belief that our thread should be awarded six gold stars, right? Harumph!

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

I'm a bit embarrassed - when did CCritic start awarding gold stars for threads?

Yes, the number of views on this thread is amazing. As I've said before, who knew that this thread would outlast the ship?!! And it is my personal belief that our thread should be awarded six gold stars, right? Harumph!

Ruby

At least Platinum, Ruby! Seems platinum has now surpassed gold in the credit card stakes!

I love dipping into your thread in anticipation of discovering yet another interesting topic from a group of cruise treasures.

Have a good trip, take good notes, and please give us a report when you return.

Can't get much better than that - a cruise and a couple of train trips!

Thanks, Michael.

I forgot to mention I believe there will be approx 2,000 Aussies/Kiwis on the cruise, so that should be fun.

Good marketing move by MSC, creating a ready market, if they decide to bring one of their ships Down Under. They are already advertising here the same 2 for the price of 1 cruise, children free, for 2011.

Bon voyage and bon chance for your ship and rail journey - it sounds loverly. By the time you get to Vancouver, your train trip will have revealed the glorious scenery extant in Canada and the "dark and deep blue ocean." My face is red - I thought you and Barry were doing this trip in late November (our Thanksgiving) - whoops!

Query: What port stops does Poesia make from Germany to NYC? Or is it a crossing that goes straightaway to New York?

Enjoy!

Ruby

Ah, MSC Poesia - I will be interested in your opinions. I last saw her in Instanbul in 2008 when she was very new.

0179%20MSC%20Poesia%20at%20Istanbul.JPG

I have to say I was not impressed by her Italian passengers and the clothing they wore to visit the Blue Mosque but I am sure your cruise will attract a very different type of passenger. It sounds great.

Marion and Barry, have a great time on your voyage and transcontinental train ride! I do hope that the weather in Vancouver will co-operate nicely when you are in the city.

Ruby, I have always enjoyed reading RevNeal's posts. He has a great sense of humour. I missed him by just one voyage, as I disembarked from Ryndam in Vancouver after a cruise from Mexico in May 2009, and he embarked with his mother to Alaska.

You should try sugar-free candy, it tastes just as good as the regular calorie-laden ones. My doctor told me to keep my blood sugar level under the danger line, and I am only .1 point below that level.

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn