Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

Sad news Conte - but not I guess unexpected. I would love to go round her once more before she sails off into the sunset. I might try and see if we can arrange one when she is in Portsmouth or somewhere close.

I have managed to thin down the Grand Event photos now to a record of the day from dawn to dusk - literally.

https://picasaweb.google.com/114801993219771801790/POGrandEvent372012#

A friend of mine e-mailed me today with the sad news that Saga Ruby will be withdrawn from service in January, 2014. This is not unexpected, but she is reaching the end of a distinguished 40 year career under multiple names for multiple historically important lines. This is an end of an era: she is the last major passenger ship built in Britain, at Swan Hunter in Newcastle upon Tyne, a port we had the good luck to visit aboard Saga Rose.

Sorry, Ruby but there is still time to book a 2013 cruise. I'll be checking the schedule.

I got a lump in my throat upon reading your news. It was inevitable but I reserve the right to be sad. In my early years with Saga Holidays, I didn't even know how to pronounce "Saga." I so enjoyed the olde embarkation terminal in Dover and, as soon as I stepped onboard, I was so happy to be there.

Each cabin door has an outside plaque for putting your name card in the slot, those strange fairy lights in the dining room, the sweeping staircase, on and on. Oh, my, those were the days. A tip of the hat to Conte who put me onto Silversea which is the modern equivalent of Vistafjord and Sagafjord.

For me, the Saga Sisters sailing one last time into the sunset is a very sad story.

Ruby

There have been some news about the 6th month anniversary of the Costa Concordia disaster. The ship is expected to be uprighted and towed to a port where Italian authorities will investigate it prior to its scrapping. My question: what will happen to the passengers' contents of the cabins and cabin safes still above water and undamaged? Jewelry, evening gowns, cameras, documents, cash ... ?

Donald.

There have been some news about the 6th month anniversary of the Costa Concordia disaster. The ship is expected to be uprighted and towed to a port where Italian authorities will investigate it prior to its scrapping. My question: what will happen to the passengers' contents of the cabins and cabin safes still above water and undamaged? Jewelry, evening gowns, cameras, documents, cash ... ?

Donald.

I would guess that if insurance has paid out it all belongs to the insurers technically. I would think that even if it remained dry, it would all be pretty unusable by now. I wonder which port they will take it to?

My question: what will happen to the passengers' contents of the cabins and cabin safes still above water and undamaged? Jewelry, evening gowns, cameras, documents, cash ... ? Donald.

I think that is an excellent query. Stay tuned for the next exciting chapter.

I would guess that if insurance has paid out it all belongs to the insurers technically. I would think that even if it remained dry, it would all be pretty unusable by now. I wonder which port they will take it to?

It is intriguing to follow this disaster in modern times with the e-world watching. I have read about different maritime theories regarding refloating the ship. One concept involves the use of the enormous weight of water to bring her upright. Following these reports is intriguing. We shall see.

Ruby

This sentence is from Wikipedia: "Costa also promised return of all property stored in cabin safes, to the extent recoverable."

I've found only a reference to "an Italian port" where investigators will conclude their inspection of the ship after it is towed from the island.

Donald.

I am reading "Shipstyle" and learned something new.

It said that during the time of coal-burning Cunard transatlantic liners, the ships were loaded with coal from barges in River Mersey, to reduce the amount of coal dust blown ashore. The barges were not large enough to sufficiently replenish the coal bunkers on the liners. Therefore, after the passengers had disembarked after a voyage from America, the ship would be pulled by a tug to the middle of the river where the first load of coal would be poured into its bunkers.

After the coal barge was empty, the ship would go to the dock and board Third-Class passengers, and be towed back mid-river for the second load of coat. After that, back to the dock to embark the Second-Class passengers and then again to mid-river for more coal. Finally the First-Class passengers would embark and the voyage to America would commence.

Sometimes Third-Class passengers had to board several days before sailing and had to endure the coaling process at close quarters.

Donald.

I am reading "Shipstyle" and learned something new.

It said that during the time of coal-burning Cunard transatlantic liners, the ships were loaded with coal from barges in River Mersey, to reduce the amount of coal dust blown ashore. The barges were not large enough to sufficiently replenish the coal bunkers on the liners. Therefore, after the passengers had disembarked after a voyage from America, the ship would be pulled by a tug to the middle of the river where the first load of coal would be poured into its bunkers.

After the coal barge was empty, the ship would go to the dock and board Third-Class passengers, and be towed back mid-river for the second load of coat. After that, back to the dock to embark the Second-Class passengers and then again to mid-river for more coal. Finally the First-Class passengers would embark and the voyage to America would commence.

Sometimes Third-Class passengers had to board several days before sailing and had to endure the coaling process at close quarters.

Donald.

That's really interesting. On the P&O ships, which had to recoal at Suez, they made everyone disembark for the day while coaling, and then re-embark, even second class (P&O didn't have steerage).

Sometimes Third-Class passengers had to board several days before sailing and had to endure the coaling process at close quarters.Donald.

I'm confused. Were the offshore coaling procedures done for safety reasons or to keep coal dust from floating onshore?

That's really interesting. On the P&O ships, which had to recoal at Suez, they made everyone disembark for the day while coaling, and then re-embark, even second class (P&O didn't have steerage).

I've seen many small coal carriers offloading in many ports in Turkey, the Suez Canal, and other ports. At all times, a crew member stands watch with a water hose running so as to reduce any spark in the cargo.

Was the offloading of pax a safety maneuver or to keep the coal dust from settling over the port and town?

Ruby

Ruby, the coal was loaded in mid-stream to reduce the amount of coal dust blown ashore. The Cunarders had enormous coal bunkers in their sides. There just wasn't enough coal on the barge to fill all the bunkers, therefore the barge had to be refilled with more coal. Between the barge refillings the ship went to the dock to embark one class of passengers.

Donald.

Once a ship has changed lines, then any comparisons may become meaningless. I'm not sure what the new company has done to alter the ambiance. As you know, she is a small intimate vessel but not 5 star in decor. Our cabin was a bit small, but very pleasant having a large round window. The dining room was finished in warm wood tones and also had large windows overlooking the sea. There were some nice pictures of old German liners on the wall. The forward lounge above the bridge was my favorite although there was a smell of cigarette smoke which lingered in the air. The main showroom needed a major redo in my opinion, not because the fittings were tattered but because it was very dark with some bold reds, blues and yellows. Just not an aesthetic which I liked. An interesting and unique feature of the ship was that the wings of the bridge were retractable. The ship was designed to pass through the locks on the Great Lakes so the wings needed to be pulled in. Our cruise was through the Great Lakes.

She's a pleasant vessel, but don't expect it to be deluxe.

I have, of course, received The Letter from Saga Cruises inviting me to sail on Saga Ruby before her retirement. "Quest for Adventure will revert to her former livery as Saga Pearl after her published cruise calendar is complete in November 2013."

I have a British question. When the Beeb says something cost 37,500, they pronounce it thirty-seven thousand and a half. I assume the "half" is the 500 but could it be that it is half of 37,500? Colour me confused and, any lurkers, feel free to speak up.

Ruby

I have a British question. When the Beeb says something cost 37,500, they pronounce it thirty-seven thousand and a half. I assume the "half" is the 500 but could it be that it is half of 37,500? Colour me confused and, any lurkers, feel free to speak up.

Ruby

That certainly would be fabulous if "a half" refers to half of 37,500 instead of 500. :D

Conte, I have a question. We all know that the Duke and Duchess of Windsor wintered in Paris and summered in New York City, transiting in the first few years on the two Queens and later on the United States. I read in some book that their fares were comped by Cunard and United States Lines because of the favourable publicity generated by the media who took photographs of these two, sometimes with their dogs, on the liners.

I read in one book that on United States, the Duchess of Windsor replaced all of the white light bulbs in their suite with pink ones. Perhaps it was much more flattering to her complexion, but difficult for the poor Duke to read. The Duchess remained in her suite for most of the transatlantic voyage. I've heard that the Duchess was the boss in that relationship, and the effete Duke acquiesced to it. I read in another book, that the Duchess declared, "The Duke and I are retiring to our cabin," and the Duke meekly followed her. There was no room for argument. Poor Duke! :(

Donald.

I've heard that the Duchess was the boss in that relationship, and the effete Duke acquiesced to it. I read in another book, that the Duchess declared, "The Duke and I are retiring to our cabin," and the Duke meekly followed her. There was no room for argument. Poor Duke!

Donald.

The story of the box of their royal jewels being "stolen" from under their bed was interesting. Although the insurance company put up a genteel but thorough inquiry about the missing gems, eventually the insurer had to settle with David and Wallis.

The Duke was cut dead by the royal family after George VI's funeral and the Duke was not invited to the traditional family banquet after the state funeral service. This passive manner of expressing their outrage at David's abdication and, indirectly, causing the death of his brother, Bertie, was a lesson in covert social disdain.

Ruby

What was supposed to be the love affair of the century was actually a sham. Years ago I read a book about the Windsors recounting their lives. Wallis used to routinely humiliate and demean her husband in public. They were also notorious for inviting guests to dinners in the most expensive restaurants in Paris and then walking out before the presentation of the bill. Apparently they thought it was honor enough for the invitees to have been included and there was a price to pay for the experience. I'm in the midst of reading a book which recounts the love lives of various Hollywood personalities. The book makes it clear that the Windsors were much more into same-sex relationships than they were into each other. Love affair of the century? Hardly.

Ruby, George VI died of a head and neck cancer, the etiology of which was his smoking. I don't think his brother Edward, however toxic his personality, was also carcinogenic.

The Windsors did travel aboard Cunard's Queens and particularly loved the United States but when that ship was withdrawn from service they traveled on the Italian Line. Maurizio Eliseo's book on Michelangelo and Raffaello has a picture of the happy couple boarding the former in New York.

The book makes it clear that the Windsors were much more into same-sex relationships than they were into each other. Love affair of the century? Hardly.

That is very interesting. I still have a February 1, 1936 The Illustrated London News that was a record of the lying-in-state and funeral of George V. This magazine belonged to either my grandmother or mother. The full-page photograph of "The High and Mighty Prince Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David is now, by the death of our late Sovereign of happy Memory, become our only lawful and rightful Liege Lord Edward the Eighth, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominion beyond the Seas King, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India." The photograph shows an outstandingly extremely handsome pretty boy that most certainly would have been the envy of pretty boys nowadays.

Could be that Edward VIII did not want to sully the reputation of the monarchy, and so sought cover in a marriage with Wallis? Nowadays, with the supermarket tabloids (remember Diana, for example!), it would have been next to impossible for him to escape scrutiny.

Donald.

Edited by Kapricorn

I have, of course, received The Letter from Saga Cruises inviting me to sail on Saga Ruby before her retirement. "Quest for Adventure will revert to her former livery as Saga Pearl after her published cruise calendar is complete in November 2013."

Ruby

Ruby - I think you will find that the Beeb pronounce it thirty-seven and a half thousand rather than thirty-seven thousand and a half. They don't mean half of £37,5000 I am afraid.

I think you were right though in saying the Windsors blamed David for causing the death of his brother, in as much as it caused him intolerable stress, particularly in view of his speech impediment, and stress can be a contributing factor with some cancers.

Could be that Edward VIII did not want to sully the reputation of the monarchy, and so sought cover in a marriage with Wallis? Nowadays, with the supermarket tabloids (remember Diana, for example!), it would have been next to impossible for him to escape scrutiny.

Donald.

Donald - I am sure he could easily have concealed his preferences with a marriage, BUT it was marrying a divorcee that was totally unacceptable to the country at that time. If all he needed was a front, then I am sure there were any number of suitable ladies available. So surely there must have been some attraction or infatuation, at least initially. Of course times have changed as Prince Charles is testimony - the divorcee bit that is :)

Just booked a bargain week away next April on Ocean Countess. It will be nice to try a traditional older ship for a change and it sails to and from Bristol (Avonmouth) so we get to go through the big lock at the dock. The itinerary is round the Irsh Sea - so Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man - all to places I've never visited before so I nice breakl I hope.

Just booked a bargain week away next April on Ocean Countess. It will be nice to try a traditional older ship for a change and it sails to and from Bristol (Avonmouth) so we get to go through the big lock at the dock. The itinerary is round the Irsh Sea - so Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man - all to places I've never visited before so I nice breakl I hope.

Sounds exciting! By any chance, will you be visiting the Faroes or the Orkneys? As we know, I am a Big Fan of the Orkneys. So much history of the Pictish and other early civilizations, so much beauty in the natural geography. I've never sailed out of Bristol - is that a commercial port or more of a cruise ship port?

I enjoy so much going thru locks - it is always exciting. To my great surprise, on Silver Shadow last September, we went thru a lock from the ocean into the port of Incheon. There is something almost majestic in sailing a large cruise ship thru a small lock.

What was one of the original cruise lines for Ocean Countess? By any chance, is she another version of Cunard Countess?

To Ralph - the August 2012 Conde Nast Traveler has a nice article about kayaking in Alaska. I assume you have done quite a lot of that sport in that area but you might want to check it out.

Ruby

Edited by Saga Ruby

Hi Ruby. No - we are not going quite that far north - Dublin, Cobh, Douglas (IOM), Fort William and Tobermory. Ocean Countess was built as Cunard Countess, but has had a few incarnations in between. Avonmouth is two stops up the motorway from here so we can get a taxi instead of me having to drive. It is a big container dock - mostly car imports, but Cruise & Maritime are trying more regional departures next year. It is where I went to visit Prinsendam last year but she was the first cruise ship to visit for about 12 years. I don't know about sailing a "large" cruise ship through - she is only 17,500 tons so smaller than the car carriers !

Hi, to all! I am still reading Shipstyle. Yesterday I saw a photograph of the Ambassador Lounge in the ocean liner Rotterdam. I did not remember the partitions with the circles until I looked up my photo album and found this picture of me in 1989 with Robin of Atlanta, who. to my great appreciation, chose me as among her Seven Virgins on the Rampage companion. The partition with circles are behind us.

x1989Rotterdam5b.jpg

x1989Rotterdam5c.jpg

Should Robin of Atlanta be among the lurkers in this thread, I certainly would love to hear how she has done since then.

Donald.

1545652539_x1989Rotterdam5b.jpg.4e71a8fc91048891c8563cf821d77c17.jpg

1522122707_x1989Rotterdam5c.jpg.32cd09656e17c22639247504e014268e.jpg

Edited by Kapricorn

Hi Ruby. No - we are not going quite that far north - Dublin, Cobh, Douglas (IOM), Fort William and Tobermory. Ocean Countess was built as Cunard Countess, but has had a few incarnations in between. Avonmouth is two stops up the motorway from here so we can get a taxi instead of me having to drive.

Do me a favour. When I was on Cunard Countess for a family reunion cruise, we all got the giggles at her Reception and lobby area. It was royal blue paint on ceilings, walls, royal blue carpet, it was walking into a royal blue cave. Do tell if it is still so, uh, blue!

I enjoyed using ScotRail from Edinburgh to Fort William on the famous steam train service. Then all the Harry Potter madness came out and I declared the Hogwarts Express as my personal steam train to Fort William. In those days, the bridge to Isle of Skye was being built so I jumped on the ferry and briefly visited Skye. Scotland is such a beautiful country.

I am green with envy (nyuck, nyuck) that you can drive to these embarkation ports. If my flight to a foreign port is less than 10 hrs., I am thrilled!

. . . I saw a photograph of the Ambassador Lounge in the ocean liner Rotterdam. I did not remember the partitions with the circles until I looked up my photo album and found this picture of me in 1989 with Robin of Atlanta, who. to my great appreciation, chose me as among her Seven Virgins on the Rampage companion.

Should Robin of Atlanta be among the lurkers in this thread, I certainly would love to hear how she has done since then.Donald.

Love the photos of that great ship. I hope Robin sees your note. What a handsome lad you were! And now you're a silver fox!

Ruby