Guarantee or cabin assignment, which to choose?

alleauna

Hello! We are going on our first cruise in October of 2005 on Carnival Triumph to the Bahamas. We are going to purchase our cruise on Sept. 24. In the meantime, we are trying to make a lot of decisions! One being, should we pay the extra money (probably about $220+) to secure a particular room on a particular floor (cabin assignment) or should we just go for a room guarantee (which will guarantee us the balcony we want, but not what floor, room, etc.)? I also hear about people getting free upgrades. How does that work? I just know we for sure want a particular room...balcony room (8 B/C/D, 9A, or better) away from elevators/laundry/stairs, and preferably next to and below staterooms that only have a queen or king/2 twin beds so it's not a full-house of kiddos...we have 4 we are getting away from! lol I'm sure you all will be able to tell us what we are getting into if we save the money and just go with the guaranteed instead of the assignment. I'm amazed with the knowledge and helpfulness here among you all! Thanks so much in advance...

Shauna

If you want to be in a certain place on the ship, choose the room number.

We did the guarantee and did not like it.

So just choose when you would NOT like to be, assume that is where the guarentee would put you, then think "Am I happy with this"?

An 8A (BL) guarantee "guarantees" you a balcony cabin in category 8 or above, nothing less. If you see any cabin in that category or above that you would not like, an assigned cabin may be the best way to go. Saving $100. pp is good, but is it worth the hassle of not knowing where you'll be or if you'll like the cabin you are assigned. Remember, you could be assigned a cabin directly over the galley, next to the elevators and stairs, really close to the bow of the ship, or across from a row of cabins with double bunks (meaning lots of kids) or next to the laundry room. It's really hit or miss!

I'm looking to do an 8I Guarantee which doesn't save squat, but all the available cabins are good, and an upgrade could only be to a 9A or Suite which are all in 'perfect' locations. Hope this helped a little.. :)

Okay! I think I understand now!

We were thinking that anything 8D and above would be very nice on the Triumph, so *maybe* we'll pay for an 8D guarantee and see what happens in regards to an upgrade. :) Hubby's always wanting to spend a little extra to make things as nice as possible though, so I'll have to see what he says.

I read somewhere earlier today that the earlier you book, the better the chance of being upgraded. Is this really the case?

Thank you!

Shauna

It is my understanding that the earlier one books makes that more feasible!

Sandwiched between cabin decks is best too.. noisy galleys or moving deck chairs are not on my list of favorites, either..

I think alot of the gar cabin assignments, when upgrade by the cruise line, are upgraded to either all the way in the back....or all the way forward. Sooo it would depend on whether this would bother you or not. If it would, book an assigned cabin if it doesn't, go for the gar and take a "spin on the upgrade wheel" LOL

debbie

I dont find that true about early booking. I booked my Legend Cruise for this Oct last Dec and paid it in full. Took a oceanview gaurantee. (i always book certain cabins) I m also a past cruiser of 3 times on Carnival with 2 booked coming.

Found my cabin using methods online. Found my cabin. 6A. Riveria deck. 1101. Cabin right next to the show lounge. (I got what I paid for)

Coz I thought the same thing...early booking gives me first chance at being upgraded. HA.. people who paid more then i did will get upgraded first. And that seems to be about everyone. Cruise sold out about 300pp more then what I paid.

I agree that you should never book a "guarantee" category on the assumption that you'll be upgraded. I've booked a guarantee four times, and only been upgraded once (inside to a balcony!). You have to be comfortable with the category you've chosen. However, the one time I was assigned to what I thought would be an undesirable cabin (right off the lobby), I was able to get moved to another available cabin in the same category that was still available. So I think the cruiselines will work with you if they can. But never assume you can do that.

Also, be sure you'll be comfortable anywhere. If you think you'll get seasick in the front of the back of the ship, don't go for a guarantee. If you think you'll be bothered by noise in a connecting cabin, or under or over a public space, don't go for a guarantee. Vacations are too precious to take that chance for a small savings.

Archived