Brimble case

rockie

It is certainly difficult to say if it is one or the other. It may be operating as a P&O ship, with Princess crew, in Australian Dollars, full of Americans thinking it is a Princess cruise!!:p

Personally, I say it is primarily Princess, as the name suggest she is Sun Princess.

No wonder people have no idea who they are sailing. Oh that's right Carnival.:rolleyes:

Sorry I thought this was the Brimble Case thread and a P & O Board so I must have pressed a wrong key somewhere.

My thoughts exactly 'howsthis'.

And really, does it matter what cruiseline or ship you are on so long as you feel safe and are having a good time?

It is certainly difficult to say if it is one or the other. It may be operating as a P&O ship, with Princess crew, in Australian Dollars, full of Americans thinking it is a Princess cruise!!:p

Personally, I say it is primarily Princess, as the name suggest she is Sun Princess.

No wonder people have no idea who they are sailing. Oh that's right Carnival.:rolleyes:

That's right Jarrod - at the end of the day it doesn't matter - all our well earned money is ending up in the bank account of the same US company, regardless of whether we think we're cruising with P&O Australia or Princess Cruises (or Holland America, Cunard, Carnival, P&O UK, Seabourn, Windstar, Swan Hellenic, Costa, Ocean Village or Aida).

Thanks people, some good responses there..I do speak with a little experience, 37 yrs in the suit of blue and did a few cruises in the 70's and 80's as security on the Russian and Italian cruiseships out of Sydney.

These days cruiseship security - front line is a job for fit, intelligent security people, but guided by people with knowledge..that is where I am coming from, that's all. Again, your views are much appreciated by an old timer.

And Sue2539...just down the Princes Hwy from you, small world eh.?

:cool:

Yes Sue, the terrorists (tourists - don't want to alarm our U.S.friends) are gone as yours are, we get the Canberran ones down here, saw Kim Beazley down here few months ago. But as you say they will be BACK at Easter. Still quieter then Sydney though. Cannot wait for our cruise in August, bringing over the Regal Princess from LA, to become Pacific Dawn.

Well, this almost a chatroom eh.?

Best wishes..Les and Mary:cool:

Les, didn't realise you were bringing it over for us, lucky thing! Great to be sailing on her last voyage as Regal Princess!

I think Port Macquarie must have been just as busy over Xmas as Mollymook and Batemans!:eek:

Chez

To All

I haven't cruised as yet - sailing with Pacific Sun 21/4/07. Maybe I shouldnt comment, but I feel that incidents like with Diane Brimble and the lastest episode happen besides on cruise ships. It's just that it is more publicized because it is a cruise ship and gets the public attention.

Having found this brilliant cruisecritic site has made me feel very assured and safe that I will enjoy my cruise. I have also looked at the cruise bruise site and others likewise and incidents similiar to these are very much in the minority. I'm more worried about falling overboard!!

Anyway, that's my input.:confused:

Liz

Hi Liz . we are also 4 mums heading off on the Pacific Star 21/02/2007 14 days time. We are going for our cuise for the simple fact we don't have to make beds. cook, wash clothes, sweep floors or vacumn carpets or drive kids to school. It is going to be three nights of relaxing and dressing up and feeling like we matter in life as a person, not just because we are someones wife or someones mum.

Have a great trip.

Nikki :o

CHEZ..my oath..we will be bringing her over..well the Capt will, we will just be enjoying the last 32 days of Regal, prior to becoming Pacific Dawn. 13 ports, right through from LA and just about all the islands from Hawaii to NZ:eek: and to Sydney, 31 Aug to 2 Oct. It will be a popular cruise I reckon, I have a roll call going on it if you want to have a look..Regal Princess, LA to Sydney 31 August 07. We got a package through Best Cruises (web marketer) inc flight Syd to LA. We are actually leaving here on 12 Aug doing a views things in LA and South America precruise.

Yes the tourists have gone, pitfall of living on the east coast, but they will be back.!!:cool:

##### GEEZ, back to the THREAD or I will be in strife with the moderator, the coroner's inquest is still on..with the police offcer who boarded the ship post Brimble death, giving evidence.:confused:

Regards..Les and Mary:cool:

Yes Les, back to the original post, I liked his excuse for partying with everyone in the disco, needed to get their support and was able to gather more info:eek: typicla D, just wanted to party! (only joking Les;) ) I do feel sorry for him if this incident has caused him to have long term sickleave, as usual it would not have been the original incident causing him stress, but perhaps the attention and focus it has bought upon him and handling or mishandling of it after.

Who knows, I wasn't there and i have long ago learnt how things can be mispercieved both in and out of the Force.

By the way Les, getting of topic again my husband and I were in South America last year, Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro, did iguazu falls and Buzios as well.

Chez

Well said CHEZ, some issues about police actions on the Pacific Sky, but is in the press, so no worries with telling all I suppose. Dancing Detective :confused:

Re South America, some exotic places you went to, we are only going to Lima, Peru, precruise, our son lives there with local wife and family. Been there before in 02 and had a week in Buenos Airies enroute, liked that, tango shows, bbq at the estancia - cattle ranch etc, BIG steaks. Did Macchu Pichuu and Cusco whilst in Lima in 02, got altitude sickness but worth the effort, not this time, sea level only.

Regards..Les and Mary:)

Hi there,

Just arrived a few hours ago off the Pacific Star. I will post a review of the Pacific Star when I get a chance (and after some sleep). My immediate thoughts are that you need to consider the time of year as well as the ship - our cruise was after the schools went back but before the uni students went back. As a result the ship was full of 18-23 years olds who seemed to think that it is appropriate behaviour to get drunk every night, then go back to their rooms and continue the party regardless of how much noise they made (hence no sleep for us last night). Security was very evident in the bars and public areas but non existent around the rooms (despite numerous calls by us and many others to Security). Allegedly 12 were evicted off the ship in Noumea and another 6 in Vila on this trip, as well as a number having their cruise cards confiscated and confined to their cabins. And last night many of these louts decided to party through the night by opening their duty free alcohol in their rooms after the bars closed at 2am!

I enjoyed the cruise, the ports of call, the staff etc, but not the behavior of many of my fellow guests. Gavin Smith will be getting a letter from me!

Ransome, so sorry to hear you cruise was ruined by others.

I would never have thought this time of year would have so many young ones, but yes i guess if uni hasn't gone back it's a good time for them to travel.

Be good if security had a beat patrol to walk around the cabin areas late at night, not just the bar/deck areas, might put a stop to the noise this time of night.

Good to see some thrown off, hope they all had to pay for their flights home, works out a bit expensive if they got a cheap cruise!

Chez

On our last cruise on the Sky 4 guys across the hall apparently partied all night. I never heard them but other people complained. They were locked down and put off at the first port of call. Some of the teenagers were being a right pain in the bum and not letting people back to their cabins, harrasing older folk in the cabin corridors, broke the lifts and a lot of other stuff. I told the pursers desk and they were onto it straight away. Some of them got locked down and the security followed them all round the ship for the rest of the cruise.

Ransome sorry to hear of the bad behaviour on your cruise... we had similar problems on December 9 cruise.... young drunks banging on doors in the early hours of the morning and swearing at tops of voices..... One couple at our table did not have one night where they were able to sleep all night, they had unsupervised children on one side and drunk twentishes(if there is any such word) on the other.....security were called but what can they do..... what ever happened to responsible service of alcohol????

Duty of Care etc...........

Was glad though that you managed to take home some great memories just as we did.....but we arent willing to travel on the Star again...pity

...we had similar problems on December 9 cruise.... young drunks banging on doors in the early hours of the morning and swearing at tops of voices..... One couple at our table did not have one night where they were able to sleep all night, they had unsupervised children on one side and drunk twentishes(if there is any such word) on the other.....security were called but what can they do..... what ever happened to responsible service of alcohol????

Duty of Care etc...........

Was glad though that you managed to take home some great memories just as we did.....but we arent willing to travel on the Star again...pity

I find it kind of strange that we didnt run into any of this behaviour, as we were on the cruise right before yours. I would expect that the same sort of people (those just finished uni) would have been on mine, we heard stories from staff about them near trashing the ship on the one prior to ours.

We were up well into the early hours of each morning and we noticed how quiet the ship was after the show.

I will post a review tomorrow when I've had a chance to sleep on it. If I was to post a review now it would be "never again". I need time to settle down, recover and reflect.

In my opinion, P&O doesn't "segregate" customer groups. I don't begrudge these folk haviong a good time, and in the public areas they were very affable and well behaved, but once the bar had closed they seemed to think that it was fair game to go back to their rooms at 3am leaving cabin doors open with the music channel at full blast and yelling at each other at full volume. In our case their cabins were located amongst family groups.

P&O needs to profile their booked customers. If they get a same-sex booking of four young adults, chances are they will be wanting to party all night. Sure thing, let them, but don't locate them amongst families, couples etc who are likely to want to go to bed at 11pm and not be disturbed.

I'm ahead of myself. I will post a review tomorrow.

I find it kind of strange that we didnt run into any of this behaviour, as we were on the cruise right before yours. I would expect that the same sort of people (those just finished uni) would have been on mine, we heard stories from staff about them near trashing the ship on the one prior to ours.

We were up well into the early hours of each morning and we noticed how quiet the ship was after the show.

lucky you..... trip we did in Sept 99 was similar....just goes to show its impossible to pick the right time to cruise, that is if there ever was one

shades of Fairstar the fun ship happening yet again...

I think the longer cruises, and those during school and university terms, probably tend to be the more sedate cruises as it attracts the people who have the time and the money to be away for longer periods of time (generally the older generation) and those who aren't studying. On our last cruise, a 12 nighter in March last year, we (at 33 & 37 at the time) were amongst the youngest on the ship. There were a few families (not a lot) and younger couples, but it was primarily an "older" cruise. We put this down to it being longer, and a bit more expensive, cruise.

One of the busiest evening activities on this cruise was the impromptu Old Time Singalong held one night in a attempt to keep people out and about. We saw people at this show that we didn't see at any other time on the cruise!

The shorter ones, particularly the 7nighters, seem to attract a much younger crowd.

We also never encountered any problems or drunken passengers. We cruised for 11 nights just before school holidays (got back day before Good Friday). Have NEVER taken the kids out of school before for anything but decided "what the hell". Are taking them out this year too. Some people may think we're crazy as our oldest will be just starting year 12 (still year 11 really) but it's 2 weeks and I know he'll make it up. And it's not like he intends to go to Uni or anything.

Even though it was outside school holidays, there were a lot of kids on board but they were so well behaved, even the teenagers. We had lots of families and lots of older folks too. A good mix without too many in the "contiki" (as I call it) age bracket. Hope I don't offend anyone by that.

Karen

Hi cruiser,

I have never had rowdy or bad behaviour from people drunk or whatever, from cabins nearby .

the worse thing I have witnessed was a group of young kids have a Pizza fight in their cabin on another deck. I felt sorry for the cabin steward cleaning up the walls, floors, the furniture etc. .. the sad thing was , the parents came back and thought it funny.

hope you don't think all cruises are like the one you just experienced..

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

• 8 months later...
ATM, I have never taken a cruise, but my family was keen to take one this Christmas. We explored all available cruises and carriers.

We did not choose P&O, and we booked prior to the alleged 16yo sexual assault and the "mystery genitals" stored on a pax's digital camera.

It came down to a choice between Pacific Dawn & Sun Princess.

Far from bad-mouthing and being un-Australian, we chose the Sun Princess because:

1) Bad press, and not just recent stuff. Fairstar had problems with making it to the next port at times, not just the party issues. And yes, the Pacific Sky\Diane Brimble case.

2)Similar Itineries & prices

3)Pacific Dawn is currently cruising as Regal Princess. The Regal Princess carries 1590 passengers. When it is refitted as the Pacific Dawn in October, it will carry 2050 passengers. Apart from being older than all of the remaining Princess fleet, this is a definate turn off. 460 more passengers to eat, share facilities, embark, disembark etc.

This is not to bad mouth P&O Australia in any way. We chose not to cruise with them as we feel there were better alternatives. Time will tell. I notice you have far more cruising experience, but as you have ONLY sailed with P&O, so your glowing testimony of P&O is not based on the quality of their competitors.

If you have such a strong dislike to P&O why are you using time lapse videos of their ships????

If you have such a strong dislike to P&O why are you using time lapse videos of their ships????

Because that was his view way back when this thread was started. 8 months later, it looks like he has warmed up to the rest of us :p

We still love ya Geoff :D

well, probably not in that way :rolleyes:

And the reason for that post is.......................................................?

Beats me...!

That was that long ago I almost forgot about this thread

Me too:eek: haha, had a laugh reading it though:o Look Geoff, I am not ONLY cruising P&O now, I have booked on Princess hehe, looks like we have all changed!!!!:D

and whats with all the old posts showing up lately??:confused:

Chez

xx

Archived