Can you believe this ? ? ?

golfnkitties

We have been lurking on Holland Americans similiar website, as we are sort of thinking of one change, after 25 + cruises with Celebrity.

:D HAL is changing their DRESS CODE !!! They will have two types of " Evening Dress" for dinner !!! 1. Formal = 2 per week. 2. Smart Casual = all other nights. The Formal is suits and ties or Tux for men. The Smart Casual is nice slacks with nice shirt with collar. No more Sports Coats or ties required ! !

Change will be effective May, 2007. !

:p I think we will book the one we were thinking about, as DH really hates to haul extra sports coats. He has tons and tons of custom made beautiful silk dress shirts that he would prefer to wear on non Formal nights, sans sport coat !

:) :cool: :)

We have been lurking on Holland Americans similiar website, as we are sort of thinking of one change, after 25 + cruises with Celebrity.

:D HAL is changing their DRESS CODE !!! They will have two types of " Evening Dress" for dinner !!! 1. Formal = 2 per week. 2. Smart Casual = all other nights. The Formal is suits and ties or Tux for men. The Smart Casual is nice slacks with nice shirt with collar. No more Sports Coats or ties required ! !

Change will be effective May, 2007. !

:p I think we will book the one we were thinking about, as DH really hates to haul extra sports coats. He has tons and tons of custom made beautiful silk dress shirts that he would prefer to wear on non Formal nights, sans sport coat !

Well, Robin, it works for us. After swearing to NEVER set foot on HAL again, here we are, tempted by their wonderful service and food and thier new Vista class ships. :rolleyes: :D

We have always enjoyed our Holland cruises very much even though we find Celebrity better is several categories. I personally think the doing away with coats and informal nights is a plus. It was confusing to many.

Ok, Sandy, I'm biting....let's compare. You show me your HAL v. Celebrity list and I'll show you mine! :D

Please let me know.

We did Infinity last year to Alaska. Taking my parents this year, but my 81 year old Mom & Dad don't want to wear tuxes. My Dad will wear a sport coat.

But trying to decide between Hal and X. I loved X before, but never have done Hal. Any suggestions.

Flying to Seattle instead of Vancover is much cheaper. But X seems to be less expensive.

I would welcome any suggestions or ideas. Thanks so much.

Wineguy, I really didn't want anyone to bite. We are all different in what we like. We sail more for the ship than ports. Seldom do any shore excursions. Relaxation is what we want and both Celebrity and Holland provide this for us. Holland is the very best with their S Suites, Neptune Lounge, the best beds. Service is always good; however, I think this is where Celebrity is better. I can never pinpoint it but it's the little things that sound so corny. Champagne greeting you upon arrival, a bit of extra formality which others might hate but we enjoy. I always said if you could take the S suite on Holland put it on Celebrity you would have the perfect cruise. The T Spa Pool on the M class ships is a real plus at no extra charge. I also love the Spa breakfast and lunch, again, included in the price. I would sail either in a minute. If I had to choose between a standard balcony room on Holland or Celebrity, I would pick Celebrity (we sail CC class on Celebrity). If the suite is affordable on Holland, I sail them. Again, both are great and no real complaints on either line, just that slight difference.

I love Celebrity and it is my favorite of thr 3 cruiselines we have cruised with and have never done HAL...with all that said HAL and Princess really have glacier bay and the college Fjords so when we do alaska again that is who we will go with

That'll be it for us, then... my husband loves getting dressed up and his garment bag weighs more than our suitcase!:eek: If there isn't an informal night for him to wear it, he won't want to go.

And I know he could wear it anyway... but it's not the same when people aren't dressed nicely around you.

after 19 celebrity cruises...3 years later, i returned to princess for my 15th cruise...i was on the new crown princess(or as the comedian called it.."the TILTIN HILTON")

i was fairly shocked about the dress code!

2 formal nights..the rest CASUAL! and i mean VERY VERY casual! jeans etc. i was not prepared for this!

I attributed most of it to anytime dining (which i sooooooo hated) It felt like we were going into a diner-type restaurant every night.

Susiev: i have to say...we dress up every night on X and i have not felt out of place. Most people who eat at the specialty restaurant are dressier on casual nights. Tell him to wear what he wants on casual nights and feel good that he may be one of the best dressed on the ship!

*sweet*

Wow..Oceania has country club casual every night and it feels like we are walking into a fine restaurant..Jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms in the evenings so everyone is always dressed nicely..I know Celebrity is going to follow O's dress code on Journey and Quest so I hope they do the same and not allow jeans..

Jan

I love reading your responses. Just checking prices, it looks like X is cheaper to Alaska than HAL. But flying into Vancover is more expensive than Seattle. I am driving myself nuts with this. This will only be the 2nd cruise my parents have ever taken, and who knows it could be there last. Both are 81 and DD has Parkinsons. So, I just want it to be so nice for them, and I did Love X, but I may love HAL too. Thanks for the help.

Celebrity already say no jeans in the dining room at night (along with T shirts, sweatshirts etc) but still some passengers ignore the rules and the staff just pretend not to see.

Recently on Summit every night ( even on Formal night) two people (not related) came looking as though they they got their clothes from a homeless shelter - their table manners followed their dress, one man literally "attacked" his food as soon as the plate was in front of him, and he dribbled food down into his long beard. it was disgusting .

By the way both boasted they got their cruises for only $60 per day SOLO through a discount cruise site on the web.

I love reading your responses. Just checking prices, it looks like X is cheaper to Alaska than HAL. But flying into Vancover is more expensive than Seattle. I am driving myself nuts with this. This will only be the 2nd cruise my parents have ever taken, and who knows it could be there last. Both are 81 and DD has Parkinsons. So, I just want it to be so nice for them, and I did Love X, but I may love HAL too. Thanks for the help.

One thing about HAL is they are VERY used to older demographics than X (which is a 40-60 demo) whereas I think HAL is much older (60+)**

The food was better on Celebrity. Rooms are better on HAL. Service was equal (although I LOVE the butler on X). Does HAL have PODS (azimuthpods)? If not, then they are a better shot in the Alaska market. Celeb is always breaking down up there.

**Holiday Cruise excepted I hope!

Wineguy:

Food better on X, and rooms better on HAL.

OK.

Veranda to Veranda on X-compared to HAL. Any difference? I think you mentioned in an earlier post that Suites are better on Hal.

So between regular veranda and CC on X, comparred to Hal which ever catergory, it appears that HAL is more expensive.

Any thoughts?

Also entertainment wise. Which have the better shows?

WE don't gamble at all so that isn't an issue at all. I walked through them my last time but that was it.

So as far as shows does one have better entertainment?

I so appreciate the responses.

Celebrity already say no jeans in the dining room at night (along with T shirts, sweatshirts etc) but still some passengers ignore the rules and the staff just pretend not to see.

Recently on Summit every night ( even on Formal night) two people (not related) came looking as though they they got their clothes from a homeless shelter - their table manners followed their dress, one man literally "attacked" his food as soon as the plate was in front of him, and he dribbled food down into his long beard. it was disgusting .

By the way both boasted they got their cruises for only $60 per day SOLO through a discount cruise site on the web.

This is why I like open seating..I would never have to sit with them (or hopefully see them) again!!

Jan

Minnimom,

We've been on HAL 3x and have been in Deluxe Verandah Suites on 2 and a Verandah Suite on 1.

All verandah cabins are not created equal however and it depends which ship you are wanting to cruise.

The Deluxe Verandah Suites on all HAL ships are nice sized but not like the Royal Suites (although the verandahs are large and very comfortable).

The Verandah Suites on the Maasdam, Veendam, Volendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Ryndam, Statendam, and Zaandam should be compared to the CC cabins on Celebrity although the HAL cabins are larger and the verandahs are larger also plus on those ships you get a tub/shower combo.

The beds on HAL are wonderful!!

The Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Noordam, and Westerdam are larger ships with more verandah cabins and instead of 2 catagories there are 3 (minus the penthouse). I've heard the children's programs are better on the later ships than on the older smaller ships.

You will find an older clientel on HAL depending on the itinerary, and length of cruise (same with all lines).

We love HAL but are giving Celebrity another try because Celebrity was less expensive to Hawai'i than HAL.

I wish you well on your decision, there is plenty of information to assist you .

I'm switching to X because over the years, NCL has really gone down hill. Word is that they now are allowing jeans in the dining room. But not only that.. there have even been crocs and baseball caps at dinner! The formal nights are "optional"-- so you'll have a few people looking nice, and the rest looking like they're at McDonalds.

If you go over to the NCL board and express support for more formal dress, you'll be jumped on and labeled a "snob." I think it's a shame that "gracious living" is becoming a thing of the past. I'm glad to see that there are still some cruise lines that still have "the magic" of cruising.

Minniemom, I have only traveled in a deluxe verandah suite on Holland which are absolutely wonderful but prices have gone up considerably. They come with great amenities and we loved the Neptune Lounge. On Celebrity we travel in Concierge class and have never traveled in the suites. Suites on Celebrity have a butler and on Holland you have the Neptune Lounge. I think I would prefer the Neptune; however, since I have never had a butler my conclusion may be wrong. I understand the balcony rooms on the newer Holland ships are a little larger than Celebrity. IMO, if I had to travel in a balcony room, not suite, on either line I would choose Celebrity.

We just completed our 27th cruise.....

1st HAL....Zuiderdam....OV...brother had balcony

We are Diamond on RCI and have also cruised Costa, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity and Princess.

We loved the beds on HAL!...Bathtubs in all categories except insides.

Service was not only top notch but the friendliest people I have ever seen.

We have mostly found the pursers desk to be very business-like to borderline rude on other cruises.....on the Zuiderdam we were down the hall from the pursers desk and everytime we passed they spoke!

I didn't see much differance in food but they did call you by your first name alot.

The crowd was older.......We are 50 somethings....the chair hogs were there, many still in regular clothes and sleeping!

What we noticed as new and will likely be an issue on all lines is the passengers who were being pushed are now riding scooters!...look out because they don't!

My husband has been wearing dress slacks and a collared shirt for sometime on smart casual nights on any ship. Make sense.

Entertainment similiar....nothing out of this world

We had a great time and would sail HAL again if the price and itinerary were what we wanted!

Well, Thanks so much for all the answers. I guess we just now need to make a decision and live with it.

We were on the Infinity last summer.It was having problems on the cruises before we went out. It was ok for ours, but we were waiting until the last minute to see if it was really going to go out. Well, it did and we had a wonderful time. It is going into Drydock about 2 weeks before we go, so I am starting to think HAL might be better. I don't exactly know what happens in drydock, so it might be great. Any insight as to what they do?

Does Hal every have any problems.

Another ?

WE could do 2 veranda rooms VF I think on Hal, or we could do a SB and share the room with my parents. MY Sis and I would share the sofa bed. I know the room is much larger, but the sofa bed for a week? I hear the beds are great, but the sofa bed for a week. Any one done that before with any ideas?

Thanks alot

Minniemom, As much as I love the suites on Holland I think you might be better to have your own verandah room. It's nice to have some time when you can get away from everyone even if it is just for the evening. The beds are terrific and I'm sure the sofa bed is not as comfortable. Suite amenities are great so that is a tough call. Go with what seems right for you and don't second guess yourself. Happy Sailing!!

Minniemom - I too am going to be traveling with my 80 year old parents this summer and I am currently booked on the Infinity to Alaska. I was thinking about HAL but my travel agent says that the crowd is really old and that I wouldn't enjoy it. I expect the crowd to be older because it is Alaska but I also have to consider that we are bringing my dd who is 10 years old. While I don't mind the older crowd, I don't want my poor daughter to be walking on eggshells. She is a very well behaved child but some people just don't like kids. We are diamond members for Celebrity/RCCL and usually the perks that go with that are enough to sway us - especially traveling with older parents. I can tell you that I have traveled on Celebrity to Hawaii in a suite and it was amazing! I'm not sure where you are going but if you are going to Alaska you definitely want to make sure you have balcony cabins. Good luck in your decision. I know about the Infinity but I am also confident that Celebrity will take care of the situation. My boss sailed on Summit to Alaska last year and loved it!!

Archived