Hotels in Fort Lauderdale

jonmar

You might have better luck if you post your question on the board for U.S. East Coast departures. However, I can say that, the Pier 66 Hyatt has an excellent view of the port from the more expensive tower. Also the Lago Mar is an easy stroll along the Atlantic beach to/from the ships' entrance into the harbor. Neither properties are inexpensive.

Hyatt Pier 66 has a rooftop deck that is WONDERFUL. Almost no rooms have view of ships except maybe in the top of the tower, but those would cost.

Call hotel and ask for manager and if they would let you up there to watch ships in the morning. I don't think it is something they doo often, but you might do OK if the manager says yes. Get it in writing !!

Does anyone know of any hotels in Fort Lauderdale that provide a view of the pier, so that one might wake up early and watch the QM2 arrive. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

We stayed at the Renaissance on 17th Street at the Quay back in 2004 and asked for a high room facing the pier. We were able to see the ship from that location. The taxi was only $5.00 from the hotel to the ship, just a 5 minute ride.:D

The property and the rooms were very nice. I'd even rate the least expensive room at the Lago Mar as being "five star". The beds, their linnens, and the bath room ammenities were all deluxe. But the food and service experienced in the dining room was far below par.

It was an unwelcomed change to have been in the Princess Grill on the QM2 with its level of food and service and then end the vacation with such a precipitous drop in service and quality of food at the hotel. For two of us, the tab for the breakfast buffet was over $30.00, and the buffet was the only dinning room option. The cost for dinner was over $105.00. The foods creation, preparation, and delivery was very poor. It did not warrant the high prices. A service charge is added automatically to all food purchases, hence there is no incentive for the wait staff to provide the service one would expect amidst the five star surroundings.

We stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 in 2006 and were disappointed to find that the revolving roof-top lounge is closed to the public (including hotel guests). We didn't stay in the tower so I can't comment on the view. It is very close to Port Everglades, but is some distance from restaurants especially if one is on foot (as were we.)

There is a stop for the Water Taxi on the grounds however, one night a group of us were there well before the scheduled time. After 45 minutes we gave up and opted for an expensive (and not very inspired) meal in the only restaurant at the hotel which was still open.

Indeed the Hyatt Pier 66 has some amazing views of the ships. I remember many years ago--waking up one early monring at the hotel and running to the window to see if I could spot my ship....I was disappointed to note in the darkness that the ship was behind a huge building....it was not until the sun rose a bit higher that I realised that the ship WAS the building! The Hyatt is a decent hotel--nothing special--but the location is great for viewing the pier. I also stayed at the Atlantic and had a nice ocean-front view to watch the ships come in as well.

Prince

Archived