Glacier Heli-Hike - Juneau or Skagway???

scottam

One of the things we want to do on our upcoming cruise to Alaska (May 21) is a glacier heli-hike and I am trying to decide which port is best for this.

We are already going on a whale watching tour with Harv and Marv while in Juneau. In addition, we would like to either go on a glacier heli-hike or a Princess cruise line excursion called "Photo Safari by Land and Sea."

I believe I read that Juneau is the place for a visit to the glacier, but DH, who is an avid (and good!) photography hobbyist, really wants to do the "Photo Safari" excursion and it is not offered in Skagway.

Are the other glacier visit opportunities in Skagway as good as in Juneau? Has anyone been on the cruise photography tour? Any suggestions for companies to consider for doing either of these tours independently?

Any input that will help us decide which to choose would be most appreciated!

Are you short on time in Juneau??? Your glaicer "hike" reference would only be my recommendation of Northstar Trekking out of Juneau on their 4 hour trek. Can you go with a "first or last" whale watch schedule and fit in the flightseeing?? There is an excursion of a glaicer hike out of Skagway but be very certain they make it to the glacier and not glacier "view"?? The regular glaicer helicopter landings offer no time for anything more than a short walk near the helicopter.

Frankly- all of Alaska is a "photo safari" if you are short on time, I would think this would be the tour to skip. You might be better off going on your own and finding your own??

Archived