Don't book this (these) rooms

SPARKY12

Does room placement really make that much of a difference? Now I'm curious

~Natasha

it does. for some.

you do not want to be over noisy areas like lounges. (but the seating areas of the lounge is ok just not the staging area)

nor do you want to be under a galley. or the pool seating areas.

There are many cabins to chose from-- why not have the best.

a first time cruiser has nothing to compare it to. many people book guarantee and take a chance in hopes of an upgrade.

Edited by serene56

Does room placement really make that much of a difference? Now I'm curious.

~Natasha

It is always useful to spend some time looking at deck plans for your ship before you sail. See where things are, have some idea of how to get from your cabin to breakfast, to a show, to the deck where you can walk around the ship, etc. You will also see how the category of cabin you select is distributed and what seems to determine the price differences. This is sort of not different from selecting a hotel in a new city, trying to make a reasonable choice?

As part of looking at a cabin, you should look at the deck above and the deck below it. The greatest security comes from selecting a cabin with similar above and below. I was over-trusting because we were going on a 6-month-old ship where an aft balcony (very large) was available on a New Years cruise from our drive-to port. I ignored the fact (that I knew) that an entertainment venue was located just below four of these cabins. What I had not taken into account, was that the sound system was mounted to the ceiling of this room (that is, my floor) and that no effective insulation had been applied (anyway, a ship has a metal frame and carries sound very well. The problem was if we wanted to even be in our cabin before 2am, every night the music and the pounding of percussion was truly horrible. I would say, lesson learned -- but you can learn this lesson from personal experience, if you want to?

All sorts of other consideration reflect if a person is a very light sleeper, has difficulty with walking, gets easily motion sick, etc. I would suggest that you try to avoid situations that anybody would find problematic. Selection, otherwise can be a matter of individual preference. If you don't have the experience, sometimes a Roll Call organizes a "cabin crawl" that lets you see what many classes/locations of cabins are like. In general, we are spoiled. We always try to have a balcony and its use always is the provision of a large window that makes the room seem larger. People also consider the route of the ship to decide which side they wish to be on. I have found that a balcony facing directly rear or on a corner can provide a wonderful view at certain ports when the ship leaves.

Good luck,

DJ:)

I read a member review of GS 1270 and has some concerns that the cabin was in poor shape. Rugs, bathroom etc. - no other GS available. I guess I will just have to make the best of it. Perhaps these things will be updated or repaired by Oct. 23 cruise. Thanks for the site to check out cabins. Very helpful.

Joyce

I read a member review of GS 1270 and has some concerns that the cabin was in poor shape. Rugs, bathroom etc. - no other GS available. I guess I will just have to make the best of it. Perhaps these things will be updated or repaired by Oct. 23 cruise. Thanks for the site to check out cabins. Very helpful.

Joyce

The Explorer won't go into dry dock early 2015 so I hope your cabin is OK. I will be in a JS in December 2014 for the 9 day southern caribbean out of Port Canaveral. When do you sail?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Booked on the Freedom in room 2272, looks like I am somewhat under the theatre and guest services, but not under the galley. Anyone stayed in this room?

Thanks.

you are far enough out of being under the show lounge that the noise from that area should not affect you

Booked on the Freedom in room 2272, looks like I am somewhat under the theatre and guest services, but not under the galley. Anyone stayed in this room?

Thanks.

you are far enough out of being under the show lounge that the noise from that area should not affect you

Triumph #6293???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

Did you get this the cabin via a guarantee?

If possible move. You are close enough to the casini bar which has a band that sets up for a 9pm play that goes into the wee hours. You could get the thumo thump of the bass

I've booked an l shaped balcony, with my adult daughter in an inside across the hall. Just noticed that the balcony next to me is still open, and it's $210 to upgrade her to a balcony. Thoughts? This is on the Triumph in 2 weeks and it is her first cruise. The rooms/balconies do not connect. She's like me and likes to have her own space....

I've booked an l shaped balcony, with my adult daughter in an inside across the hall. Just noticed that the balcony next to me is still open, and it's $210 to upgrade her to a balcony. Thoughts? This is on the Triumph in 2 weeks and it is her first cruise. The rooms/balconies do not connect. She's like me and likes to have her own space....

I will always try for a balcony! And $210 extra sounds like a good deal !

as long as that balcony is not on the upper deck-- for 210 I would take the balcony.

But since you have that long balcony-- she can share your balcony-- and use that 210 to buy the drinks for your balcony

Edited by serene56

Did you get this the cabin via a guarantee?

If possible move. You are close enough to the casini bar which has a band that sets up for a 9pm play that goes into the wee hours. You could get the thumo thump of the bass

So i upgraded to #6275 balcony cabin. Booked the original cabin on a single supplement rate. They are again offer single supplement rates on interiors and balconies so paid an additional $180 and got a balcony for total of $571. Can't beat it for my first solo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

So i upgraded to #6275 balcony cabin. Booked the original cabin on a single supplement rate. They are again offer single supplement rates on interiors and balconies so paid an additional $180 and got a balcony for total of $571. Can't beat it for my first solo.

VERY GOOD move-- and a great price too.

Navigator room 8610? Any opinions? This will be my second cruise and we did inside on the first. We are really looking forward to splurging Ina balcony for our 10 yr anniversary

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Breakaway OC Deck 5 under Savor/Taste: has anyone stayed on these rooms? How is the noise level? We are travelling with 3 small children and needed connecting OV rooms. Initially had the OA cabins at the front of the ship; but switched to Deck 5 to be close to elevator & get the connecting rooms.

DW and I stayed in the Cannes Suite (B751) on the Sapphire Princess. there are two issues:

1) The veranda is very broad but shallow to the point of being a safety hazard (4-5 feet of depth). There really isn't room for the two lounge chairs to fit and I nearly went over the rail in tripping over one in the middle of the night - it's a loooong way down from there!

2) There is a significant vibration and noise level if you are positioned close to the metal walls - presumably from the propulsion system.

The cabin itself was very nice otherwise

The Grand Suite on the aft-port appeared to suffer from the same veranda lack of depth.

DW and I stayed in the Cannes Suite (B751) on the Sapphire Princess. there are two issues:

1) The veranda is very broad but shallow to the point of being a safety hazard (4-5 feet of depth). There really isn't room for the two lounge chairs to fit and I nearly went over the rail in tripping over one in the middle of the night - it's a loooong way down from there!

2) There is a significant vibration and noise level if you are positioned close to the metal walls - presumably from the propulsion system.

The cabin itself was very nice otherwise

The Grand Suite on the aft-port appeared to suffer from the same veranda lack of depth.

Never been on the Sapphire, and understand it has an Asian influence not found in its peers. Have been on several aft balcony cabins and loved each and every one. Somebody's walking around a balcony "in the middle of the night" -- why is that? Certainly when I hear about falls, and we discuss this every time MDW and I stand at the rail of a balcony, our conclusion is that it is almost impossible unless you are thrown off or climb up on the rail.

Nothing like a balcony in May/August in the Mediterranean or in the winter in the Caribbean, but my preference is to sleep in the cabin bed versus a balcony lounge chair?

DJ:(