Don't book this (these) rooms

SPARKY12

Hi all, very first post is a question from a first-timer :confused: We're booked on the Golden Princess to Alaska in June, and since it's our first real vacation in years we went for the balcony mini-suite. Wife has really bad seasickness, so we ended up getting D424 in the middle area. The deck plans show its fairly close to the elevators, just wondering if anyone knows what the noise level might be like?

Yes, we will be prepared for her with appropriate meds :-)

Jim

Hi all, very first post is a question from a first-timer :confused: We're booked on the Golden Princess to Alaska in June, and since it's our first real vacation in years we went for the balcony mini-suite. Wife has really bad seasickness, so we ended up getting D424 in the middle area. The deck plans show its fairly close to the elevators, just wondering if anyone knows what the noise level might be like? Yes, we will be prepared for her with appropriate meds :-) Jim

Hello,

Took my immediate family of 10 on the Star Princess RT Seattle 20 July. Because we were absolutely catering to grandchildren and I wanted our family to share some port activities and dinner every night, choice of cabins, a reserved table for 10 and shared whale watching (Juneau) and train ride (Skagway) worked well with warm weather, Glacier Bay still almost presentable, and boy were there families and children everywhere! I can also note that Princess does a great job with child experiences as they take on excellent college students for the summer (even our 5 year-old was always asking to return to kids club!). As to balconies, I'd suggest that you read up (search option, Princess forum, "balconies") as to what size and overhang/privacy comes with each type of cabin at each type of location. We very much like a balcony with at least half an overhang. If your large balcony is fully exposed (some mini-suites are, for sure) it means if it is raining or you want some shelter from whatever weather, you will find the balcony not welcoming. Also these balconies have no privacy!

Consider all the issues with selecting a cruise to Alaska (all cruises do not visit the same ports and the "same" port visit may be for different lengths and at different times. If you have the time, not only is Glacier Bay something to be experienced at least once in your lifetime, but some of the cruises with a land extension (like into Denali) can be wonderful and not associated with sea sickness! Another consideration: not only do ships now come with stabilizers, but the inside passage is pretty well known for calm waters. If you sail from Seattle your first day may be a little bumpy -- you'd have to go to a regional forum to ask about how a RT Seattle compares to a one-way north from Vancouver. (My thought is that the possible problematic first day may not be there, and you could have the value of a visit to Vancouver and/or Victoria to start with, although Seattle is a great location as well.) My personal experience is that sometimes a negative experience either very early or at the end of a vacation might color the memories of the entire experience? Best wishes,

DJ:)

Hi all-love this thread!

We have booked the Carnival Valor Rooms 7415 (Balcony) and 7437 (Inside). I know they are between 2 decks of staterooms so I'm not too worried about noise; however, I am worried about the rooms being so far Aft.

We haven't stayed in Aft rooms before so I'm a little nervous about motion. Can anyone alleviate my concerns?

And please let me know if there is anything else that should be of concern regarding those rooms.

Thanks so much!:)

Hello,

Took my immediate family of 10 on the Star Princess RT Seattle 20 July. Because we were absolutely catering to grandchildren and I wanted our family to share some port activities and dinner every night, choice of cabins, a reserved table for 10 and shared whale watching (Juneau) and train ride (Skagway) worked well with warm weather, Glacier Bay still almost presentable, and boy were there families and children everywhere! I can also note that Princess does a great job with child experiences as they take on excellent college students for the summer (even our 5 year-old was always asking to return to kids club!). As to balconies, I'd suggest that you read up (search option, Princess forum, "balconies") as to what size and overhang/privacy comes with each type of cabin at each type of location. We very much like a balcony with at least half an overhang. If your large balcony is fully exposed (some mini-suites are, for sure) it means if it is raining or you want some shelter from whatever weather, you will find the balcony not welcoming. Also these balconies have no privacy!

Consider all the issues with selecting a cruise to Alaska (all cruises do not visit the same ports and the "same" port visit may be for different lengths and at different times. If you have the time, not only is Glacier Bay something to be experienced at least once in your lifetime, but some of the cruises with a land extension (like into Denali) can be wonderful and not associated with sea sickness! Another consideration: not only do ships now come with stabilizers, but the inside passage is pretty well known for calm waters. If you sail from Seattle your first day may be a little bumpy -- you'd have to go to a regional forum to ask about how a RT Seattle compares to a one-way north from Vancouver. (My thought is that the possible problematic first day may not be there, and you could have the value of a visit to Vancouver and/or Victoria to start with, although Seattle is a great location as well.) My personal experience is that sometimes a negative experience either very early or at the end of a vacation might color the memories of the entire experience? Best wishes,

Yes, we looked at all those factors, thanks Our route does include Glacier Bay, that was a must. Although the land excursions would be nice, we went with just a 7 day roundtrip because of vacation allowances at her job. We live near Seattle, so visits to Victoria and Vancouver are not that big an issue :-) No kids, just us taking our first cruise for our 30th… Mostly just wondering if this particular location (Dolphin deck, D424) has much noise from the nearby elevators. Also not a big deal if the balcony's open or not, we are always prepared for wet weather living here :-)

Jim

Yes, we looked at all those factors, thanks Our route does include Glacier Bay, that was a must. Although the land excursions would be nice, we went with just a 7 day roundtrip because of vacation allowances at her job. We live near Seattle, so visits to Victoria and Vancouver are not that big an issue :-) No kids, just us taking our first cruise for our 30th… Mostly just wondering if this particular location (Dolphin deck, D424) has much noise from the nearby elevators. Also not a big deal if the balcony's open or not, we are always prepared for wet weather living here :-)

Jim

Good to hear of your circumstances and your thoughts. Have never had much of an issue of elevator noises, nor of adults as the noise only of congregating folks is on the public floors. An obvious benefit is being near the elevator, last December we intentionally selected the second largest balcony on the least expensive category, also fully aft on the corner and the views leaving port and evenings (Caribbean) could not be missed! Understand about being used to weather, and maybe attracted to having a couch (very irritating element about Princess, with whom I have sailed multiple European cruises, just for the itinerary). Our favorite balcony is on the Caribe deck: it is larger and half covered. Your selected balcony is good for sunbathing, I think that Dolphin balconies are 100% exposed to both the elements and to everyone above you looking down as well. It is hard to make such a decision as this is your first cruise as well, so you don't have any experience in what your past behavior is like onboard. In part, with your concern about motion sickness, is to first have an open discussion. Sometimes there can be a period of movement awareness that just goes away and the medication (pill or patch) as either steady state or at least taken preventively causes its own set of often difficult side effects. I was given medication before the July trip because I had just experienced a major episode of inner ear disorder -- and I never took this medication (just had it with me for all the others who were on their first cruise). In general, its a good first cruise for you and you are well aware then of the weather. Our week was warm and dry (good for Dolphin balcony?). Would think issues with wife might include whether privacy is an issue for her. Also, would be an issue as to whether you want to eat at the same table each night or be seated with whomever when you arrive (anytime). Tables for two are very limited and I'm sure if you request, you will only be told that your preference has been recorded. Best of luck,

Good to hear of your circumstances and your thoughts. Have never had much of an issue of elevator noises, nor of adults as the noise only of congregating folks is on the public floors. An obvious benefit is being near the elevator, last December we intentionally selected the second largest balcony on the least expensive category, also fully aft on the corner and the views leaving port and evenings (Caribbean) could not be missed! Understand about being used to weather, and maybe attracted to having a couch (very irritating element about Princess, with whom I have sailed multiple European cruises, just for the itinerary). Our favorite balcony is on the Caribe deck: it is larger and half covered. Your selected balcony is good for sunbathing, I think that Dolphin balconies are 100% exposed to both the elements and to everyone above you looking down as well. It is hard to make such a decision as this is your first cruise as well, so you don't have any experience in what your past behavior is like onboard. In part, with your concern about motion sickness, is to first have an open discussion. Sometimes there can be a period of movement awareness that just goes away and the medication (pill or patch) as either steady state or at least taken preventively causes its own set of often difficult side effects. I was given medication before the July trip because I had just experienced a major episode of inner ear disorder -- and I never took this medication (just had it with me for all the others who were on their first cruise). In general, its a good first cruise for you and you are well aware then of the weather. Our week was warm and dry (good for Dolphin balcony?). Would think issues with wife might include whether privacy is an issue for her. Also, would be an issue as to whether you want to eat at the same table each night or be seated with whomever when you arrive (anytime). Tables for two are very limited and I'm sure if you request, you will only be told that your preference has been recorded. Best of luck,

Thanks :-) She's not a big social person, but we're going to give the regular seating a try. And of course we can always do other options if she prefers... Noise is a bigger factor than whether others can see us, so I don't think that will be an issue - always good to know though. Definitely looking forward to the trip!

Jim

My DH and I sailed on the Carnival Breeze in October 2013. We were in cabin 6432 and it was the absolute worst cabin we have stayed in of all 15 of our cruises. We had a nasty sewer gas smell. Upon requesting a room inspection from the customer service desk, we were informed that no smell could be detected. It took three days of arguing with these people before they finally recognized the problem and moved us. Promises of discounts and reduced future fares, but all we received was $65 in credit. Not enough to ever return to Carnival. Will definitely stay with NCL.

My DH and I sailed on the Carnival Breeze in October 2013. We were in cabin 6432 and it was the absolute worst cabin we have stayed in of all 15 of our cruises. We had a nasty sewer gas smell. Upon requesting a room inspection from the customer service desk, we were informed that no smell could be detected. It took three days of arguing with these people before they finally recognized the problem and moved us. Promises of discounts and reduced future fares, but all we received was $65 in credit. Not enough to ever return to Carnival. Will definitely stay with NCL.

oh no..doing my first cruise this April on the Breeze room 6437..I hope this doesn't happen to me. I am 60yrs old and have been looking forward to this trip for a long time..tell me I wont regret this cruise:eek: This was the only Level left for a balcony mid-ship...did you find out why the sewer smell?:confused:

there is a HUGE price difference if you let the cruiselines pick your cabin. Its called a guarantee.

IF you booked a guarantee the chances of you moving is slim to none-- but I would ask anyways

To book a guarantee and NOT get any kind of upgrade--even one level sucks

If you paid to pick your own cabin-- then pick your own cabin.

Yes, I would be moving from that area.

dancers practice after midnight. and if you want to go to bed early you will get the thump thump thump from the music.

being this forward its going to be a VERY long walk to the food sometimes 2 times a day--- by midweek that walk will be long.

same category-- see whats available around 2436. Dining rooms are carpeted-- no noise issue. Puts you close to elevators/ stairs to get you to where you gotta go

Travelling on Adventure of the Seas in May with my 82yo mother. She booked through a travel agent and had never heard of "cabin guarantee". Apparently that's what we had. When I checked our allocated cabin, I was very disappointed to find it was #6375 which had a doorway through to the next cabin. I contacted the TA, who contacted RCI and we have been moved to #1353 with no additional charge. I'm hoping this works much better for us and am very happy with the alteration with no hassle.

Question from a newbie on something that's driving me bonkers ...

Great forum but I don't have the time to look through all the pages - I've been trying to use the search feature to narrow things down but I just can't find it ... I'm sure I used it a while back ... any help finding where search is would be greatly appreciated.

Great forum but I don't have the time to look through all the pages - I've been trying to use the search feature to narrow things down but I just can't find it ... I'm sure I used it a while back ... any help finding where search is would be greatly appreciated.

Look at the very top of This page....

If you are using one of the other programs - tapatalk etc, it may not be there, but the normal Cruise Critic forum pages have it.

Look at the very top of This page....

If you are using one of the other programs - tapatalk etc, it may not be there, but the normal Cruise Critic forum pages have it.

Search is currently disabled. All search-related "buttons" are gone.;):(

Yes the search used to be available but hasn't been for at least a little while now and without it - threads like this one are almost useless.

use google-- type in your question and more then likely it will bring you to certain pposting

I was going to try and use the search feature but I am reading that this is not available. I thought I would try anyways to post a questions.

I am looking to book the Breeze and I have an opportunity to book a interior with picture window obstructed views. The decks where these are located say they are in front of public observation deck. But from what I can see I do not see a deck there? Its the front of the boat so I am not sure what is there. The decks are Upper, Empress, Vista.

Some rooms are-

Vista- no rooms actually come up.

I will try Google as well as Serene says.

Thanks!!!

there doesnt look to be an observation deck on deck 6-- there are stairs that will take you to deck 7

what do you want to know?

these are obstructed cabins-- your view will be the wall. you can not see water from your cabin but you can get outside to see the view.

note that the decks are public and there will be people outside your window- but most people do not know its there- you can not see the entrance from the hall.

Also note that this is a LONG walk to the food sometimes twice a day. By midweek we were tired of the walk.

also note that if you hit rough waters you will feel the most motion.

Im sure there are pictures out there-- other ships have them

oh no..doing my first cruise this April on the Breeze room 6437..I hope this doesn't happen to me. I am 60yrs old and have been looking forward to this trip for a long time..tell me I wont regret this cruise:eek: This was the only Level left for a balcony mid-ship...did you find out why the sewer smell?:confused:

They never revealed what the cause was but I had read about this problem on cruise critic. The compensation did NOT make up for three sleepless nights with these nasty fumes. Our cabin was just beside the bulkhead. If you have problems, be persistent and insist, maybe loudly, on them fixing it right away. Hope you have a better cruise than WE did. :mad:

there doesnt look to be an observation deck on deck 6-- there are stairs that will take you to deck 7

what do you want to know?

these are obstructed cabins-- your view will be the wall. you can not see water from your cabin but you can get outside to see the view.

note that the decks are public and there will be people outside your window- but most people do not know its there- you can not see the entrance from the hall.

Also note that this is a LONG walk to the food sometimes twice a day. By midweek we were tired of the walk.

also note that if you hit rough waters you will feel the most motion.

Im sure there are pictures out there-- other ships have them

Thank you for this information. I actually decided to go with the Paradise and have a porthole, similar to the one on the Sensation a few years ago. Just made more sence for me. Thanks!!!!!

Thank you for this information. I actually decided to go with the Paradise and have a porthole, similar to the one on the Sensation a few years ago. Just made more sence for me. Thanks!!!!!

on the left side correct? the right side will get the anchor dropping and it will be quite loud

on the left side correct? the right side will get the anchor dropping and it will be quite loud

I is not the port side like I thought. I contacted Carnival and they said there was an anchor on each side. I remember when I was on the Sensation, we were in R26 and will now be in M21. Its not as far back as R26 but a deck higher. Shoudl I see if I can switch to the port side?

I is not the port side like I thought. I contacted Carnival and they said there was an anchor on each side. I remember when I was on the Sensation, we were in R26 and will now be in M21. Its not as far back as R26 but a deck higher. Shoudl I see if I can switch to the port side?

you may be fine where you are--= you are farther back then I thought--

but i would ask to go to the other side

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on Glory - Room 9229. It is a balcony room on the Lido deck.

Thanks.

its above and below cabin space but boy is that walk long to get to the buffet.