Grace Smith is Seeking Advice

Grace Smith

Grace,

I hope you have an opportunity to find the perfect dates and itinerary for your schedule. Also, I appreciate your comments regarding Croatia. I've read so many positive articles about the Dalmatian coast and the photos have been amazing.

Here's the updated itinerary for the July 7th Spirit sailing...

Sat

Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Depart 11:00 pm

Sun

Transiting the Corinth Canal

Mon

Corfu, Greek Isles

8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Tue

Monopoli, Italy

Wed

Kotor, Montenegro

Thu

Split, Croatia

8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Fri

Rovinj, Croatia

8:00 am - 11:00 pm

Sat

Venice, Italy

Arrive 7:00 am

If this works out for you, please let us know.

Best of luck,

Zach

Grace wrote: "This is all very interesting. What is your favorite cruise line? Personally, I keep coming back to not wanting to be in a crowd. I hate lines. I love kids, but I think for a cruise I'd rather be on a ship with mostly adults. I love to travel & sightsee, so I'm not afraid of the days at port because we'll probably book the tours. I work all kinds of hours, so I usually go to bed pretty early so I can get an early start. So, the nightlife on some of these ships might be too exciting anyway!

I really appreciate your input. The one thing that I'm realizing is how friendly people who cruise are! :)"

Hi Grace, I'm also new to SB having cruised many times on the large cruise lines. I hate lines and my recent Silversea cruise convinced me that the smaller ships, with fewer pax that cater mostly to adults are definitely for me!

I've booked my first SB cruise for the end of this year and am certain that cruising could not possibly be better than what this experience will be. I, too, work long hours, go to bed early, and am not much of a night owl :cool:. I had wondered about fewer activities but found on the Silversea cruise that we never felt "bored" or lacked things to do when we wanted to be active. Even just some brisk walks around the deck were wonderfully refreshing and who could possibly complain about the view :D.

As you are doing, I had been active on the boards prior to my SS cruise and met several people from CC while on board the ship. It was as though I already had friends awaiting my arrival on the ship ready to share a drink and cruising stories. What fun! The SB boards are so friendly, too. I'm really looking forward to connecting with people I meet online who will be sharing the same SB itinerary.

You'll always find honest answers to questions here that better prepare you in the decision-making process :)

Haven't seen any posts from anyone who visited the "new" port of Rovinj in the Athens-Venice cruise. I have been looking at the attractions and it would be fascinating to visit both Porec and Pula from that port. They are about 50 miles apart and could easily be done in 4-5 hours. Porec has an Unesco World site 6th century church with mosaic's to rival Ravenna's. Pula has the 6th largest Roman amphitheater in existence. SB offers tours to either/or. Is it possible to take them both or did anyone try to use a local tour operator, driver, etc.?

Hi Zach and Grace,

we are booked on an Athens-Venice cruise. I had posted earlier on the excursions from Rovinj not realizing that this is a "new" port to SB in 2007, so no one has been there with SB. I'm still wondering about the shore excursions. Right now I'm thinking of taking the SB excursion to Pula and when we return to Rovinj take a taxi or local excursion to Porec which is about 8 miles away from Rovinj. If any of you has any thoughts or knowledge of this area or of local tour operators, I would appreciate your comments.

Marazul,

You are a step ahead of me as I just purchased my Athens and Croatian books at B&N this weekend. I believe our Seabourn Experience will take place in Rovinj at the Church of St. Euphemia and was also considering an excursion to Dubrovnik (if available). I called Seabourn to learn more and was told the full listing of excursions would available approximately 90 days before our cruise.

I look forward to meeting you aboard the Spirit and sharing thoughts prior to the cruise.

Zach

Zach,

I think you'll find that the best way to go to Dubrovnik is by signing up for the Venice to Rome cruise. (Not a bad idea!)

Porec and Pula are about 35 miles apart with Rovinj in between. I think when you look at the guide books you'll be interested on a visit to both places, especially since there is such a long day at Rovinj. I am going to look for a local operator that will take me to both. I just assume having a late lunch by the port in Rovinj after the tour rather than stopping at some "special lunch" with the SB shore excursion. I think that only takes the time you could have used to visit both places.

I wonder if SB ever looks at these posts for ideas on shore excursions????

We haven't been to Dubrovnik since the war....but oh my...do go there. It is the most amazing city. It has a protective wall around it..and you walk up the stairs to and walk along to see one of the most impressive views you will ever see. The colors are that of the palette of Renoir. As you walk along..you are able to see inside the flats that are charming and simple. Most have lace curtains and very simple furnishings. We loved their food. One interesting feature in the evening, the young people promenade along the main street that has an invisible line down the center. One side goes up..and the other down. In this manner the young people can enjoy each other without the worry of their parents...or so it would seem. The charm is very memorable...enjoy. Lola

I wonder if SB ever looks at these posts for ideas on shore excursions????

Seabourn occasionally monitors this forum and occasionally posts replies here as well. I suspect the shore excursion offerings are dictated by the local tour operators. If what Seabourn offers does not float your boat, you can always go to the Shore Excursion Manager / Concierge and hire a private car for a tour itinerary of your own choosing.

If you want to make any itinerary, shore excursion or any other suggestions, write it down on your cruise comment card at the end of the voyage. These are read both by shipboard and shoreside Seabourn staff. Such suggestions might get consideration from a "cash customer" as opposed to an "annonymous" suggestion here on this forum.

Well, let's hope Seabourn does check in sometimes. I just noticed they took off all the shore excursions for Croatia from the SB website. The excursions they had listed were the same, almost verbatim, that Silversea had for their cruises in 2006. Let's hope SB can do better or find more inovative operators.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Grace wrote: "This is all very interesting. What is your favorite cruise line? Personally, I keep coming back to not wanting to be in a crowd. I hate lines. I love kids, but I think for a cruise I'd rather be on a ship with mostly adults. I love to travel & sightsee, so I'm not afraid of the days at port because we'll probably book the tours. I work all kinds of hours, so I usually go to bed pretty early so I can get an early start. So, the nightlife on some of these ships might be too exciting anyway!

I really appreciate your input. The one thing that I'm realizing is how friendly people who cruise are! :)"

Hi Grace, I'm also new to SB having cruised many times on the large cruise lines. I hate lines and my recent Silversea cruise convinced me that the smaller ships, with fewer pax that cater mostly to adults are definitely for me!

I've booked my first SB cruise for the end of this year and am certain that cruising could not possibly be better than what this experience will be. I, too, work long hours, go to bed early, and am not much of a night owl :cool:. I had wondered about fewer activities but found on the Silversea cruise that we never felt "bored" or lacked things to do when we wanted to be active. Even just some brisk walks around the deck were wonderfully refreshing and who could possibly complain about the view :D.

As you are doing, I had been active on the boards prior to my SS cruise and met several people from CC while on board the ship. It was as though I already had friends awaiting my arrival on the ship ready to share a drink and cruising stories. What fun! The SB boards are so friendly, too. I'm really looking forward to connecting with people I meet online who will be sharing the same SB itinerary.

You'll always find honest answers to questions here that better prepare you in the decision-making process :)

Thanks, TennisBunny!

I, like you, have been blown away by the welcoming spirit of the Seabourn Cruisers. Since your personal demands and schedule seem so much like mine, I was glad to hear that boredom shouldn't be an issue. I can't wait to get to Europe!

Grace;)

Archived