What does "no-host" mini bar mean

brag

We are booked on the Rotterdam for an April cruise in the Med. We have Veranda staterooms reserved, but I was considering upgrading to a Deluxe Suite. In reviewing the benefits of the larger stateroom, I saw that the room includes a no-host mini bar. Does this mean no charge for using the contents of the mini bar?

Brag

I don't believe so. "No-host" usually means that you have to pay. For example, if you go to an event that has a "no-host bar," that's a polite way of saying "cash bar"--that the hosts of the event aren't buying drinks for you.

We are booked on the Rotterdam for an April cruise in the Med. We have Veranda staterooms reserved, but I was considering upgrading to a Deluxe Suite. In reviewing the benefits of the larger stateroom, I saw that the room includes a no-host mini bar. Does this mean no charge for using the contents of the mini bar?

Brag

No it means that you pay for just what you use.

There will be a card indicating the price for everything. You get 1 bottle of vodka, 1 bottle of gin, etc -- they are the size of the bottles used by the airlines. You will also pay a 15% gratuity if you use thise bottles. A wine steward goes around to all the cabins and checks for replacements each day.

I also pay myself a 15% gratuity since I always tip the bartender!:)

There will be a card indicating the price for everything. You get 1 bottle of vodka, 1 bottle of gin, etc -- they are the size of the bottles used by the airlines. You will also pay a 15% gratuity if you use thise bottles. A wine steward goes around to all the cabins and checks for replacements each day.

When HAL uses the term "no host mini bar" they mean that there is a countertop with an ice bucket, a fridge that is prestocked with selections of white wine (187ml bottles), beer, carbonated beverages, possibly some mixers, some small bottles of various liquers and red wine on a shelf, and an assortment of glasses. Help yourself, hence the term "no host". As others have mentioned, you pay for each item you use.

You're kidding, right? On HAL, you pretty much pay for everything. :)

No host just means no one is hosting the bar for you ... hence, you pay for what you use. Supplies will be replenished each day as you use them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You can empty the 'no host mini bar' which is a fridge and use it during the cruise for other things that you may want to keep chilled. The goods that were in the fridge can either go on the top two shelf above the fridge (they have mini metal rails to hold small things) or in the vanity stool as an idea. Make sure the steward knows they are hidden if they are. You won't be charged and it would be polite to put them back in the fridge on the next to last day as the tally things up.

Archived