Packing Light

weacat

First of all, thank you all for the incredible and informative posts/replies on this board. I have never felt so prepared for a trip and I can't wait to sail on Explorer next month.

I have tried to search for a thread on this question but I keep on getting the misserable white page.

I hope you can help me out. I have been trying to create a packing list that will keep my luggage very light for my 1 week cruise. (I have a bad back and it's difficult even to roll it when it's too heavy)

Does anyone have a woman's packing list they would like to share - possible just packing the bare minimum? I am willing to have my laundry done once during the trip.

I have copies of Rick Steve's list - but that's for a trip to Europe where no formal wear is needed.

Thanks for your help!

SGK

First of all, thank you all for the incredible and informative posts/replies on this board. I have never felt so prepared for a trip and I can't wait to sail on Explorer next month.

I have tried to search for a thread on this question but I keep on getting the misserable white page.

I hope you can help me out. I have been trying to create a packing list that will keep my luggage very light for my 1 week cruise. (I have a bad back and it's difficult even to roll it when it's too heavy)

Does anyone have a woman's packing list they would like to share - possible just packing the bare minimum? I am willing to have my laundry done once during the trip.

I have copies of Rick Steve's list - but that's for a trip to Europe where no formal wear is needed.

Thanks for your help!

SGK

Here is a link to Calgons Ultimate Packing List. There is more on there then most will take but you can pick and choose what works for you.

http://www.geocities.com/Calgon1/UPL-2_Adults_Warm.html

I also like to pack light, so I try and bring items that coordinate. Here is a general idea of what I bring:

4 pair shorts

1 pair long or capri pant (wear pair of jeans since fly from NEPA during winter)

1 or 2 light weight skirts

2 cocktail dresses

8 shirts to match all items (some only get worn for an hour or two in evening, so wear again on another day)

1 nightgown

1 sweater

1 swimsuit

1 pair of dress shoes to match the 2 dresses (and they sometimes will go with skirts for other nights)

1 pair water shoes

1 pair sneakers

1 pair sandals

various appropriate undergarments.

Hope this helps.

:eek: NOT POSSIBLE, I took 2 hugh suitcases and i everyone said i was taking too many clothes, i was bound and determined to wear my whole new wardrobe, and darn if i didnt do it, so i dont think packing light is in my vocabulary, we are going on our 2nd cruise Nov. 2007 and i've already told DH i will be needing a whole new wardrobe for this upcoming cruise to.:p He just shakes his head:cool: Anyways have a great night. VO 922

:eek: NOT POSSIBLE, I took 2 hugh suitcases and i everyone said i was taking too many clothes, i was bound and determined to wear my whole new wardrobe, and darn if i didnt do it, so i dont think packing light is in my vocabulary, we are going on our 2nd cruise Nov. 2007 and i've already told DH i will be needing a whole new wardrobe for this upcoming cruise to.:p He just shakes his head:cool: Anyways have a great night. VO 922

Hi,

Just got home Sunday from 2 weeks on Explorer. Yup, I took to much. I thought I was packing light 1 suitcase and still had to much. I have been thinking about this for the next cruise so here goes:

DAY TIME:

2 bathing suits

2 beach coverups (one's that look like a dress)

Get up in the morning put on bathing suit w/beach coverup your good to go. We went to breakfast & lunch in the dining room or windjammer no problem, it looked like I had on a sundress and I was comfortable. If your going on shore still no problem your wearing a beach coverup/sundress.

2 shorts/skorts

2/3 tops to go with

Just incase you don't want to wear bathingsuit all day

DINER/NIGHT TIME:

1 pair evening pants

2 evening tops

(These will cover the 2 formal nights)

1 pair black pants/capris

1 pair navy blue pants/capris

2/3 tops to go with slacks

Alternate every other night

1 pair strappy dress sandals for all evenings

1 pair comfy casual sandals for day time

1 pair of sneakers (wear these to travel so you don't have to pack)

7 undies

2/3 bras

1 nightgown or pj set

On travel day wear slacks/capris/skort w/light jacket or sweater wear to dinner 1st night then save and wear home.

HAPPY LIGHT PACKING THERES NO NEED FOR LOADS OF EXTRA YOUR ON VACATION ENJOY!!!!!!

Just because I have cute shoes that "match" each outfit doesn't mean I need to pack them all. I try to pack one pair that goes with all casual outfits. I will still probably bring 5 pairs for different situations, but not 12! My first cruise, I had a small suitcase only for shoes! Never again. :)

Just because I have cute shoes that "match" each outfit doesn't mean I need to pack them all. I try to pack one pair that goes with all casual outfits. I will still probably bring 5 pairs for different situations, but not 12! My first cruise, I had a small suitcase only for shoes! Never again. :)

Important to bring the cute shoes... and don't forget to bring the matching pocketbooks!

Color code things.....I bring black shoes, dress, casual and sandals.....and black and white tops, tans, they all exchange with capri's, shorts, skirts.....Jackets match too. Yep.....I resist the urge to bring that cute pink top that I'd have to bring an extra pair of shoes for.

Oh....my best tip.....I work out and I bring an old pair of shoes that I later throw away....room for goodies that way and I don't have to lug them back. The cover up acts as a sun dress too! Over lap some clothes that can be worn twice, jeans and capri's.

Have fun!

One of the best things I did for my honeymoon cruise was to buy 3 sarongs. I used them as a swimming cover-up, a wrap skirt with a top at dinner, and a shawl if it got cold at night. Also, 2 of them were reversable so I even doubled the uses of those.

Best part of all? they folded into tiny squares that took up less room in the suitcase than my undies :D

When I'm determined to "pack light" in inevitably don't pack enough. On the other hand I tend to over pack at times, not using half of what I bring. I find now if I lay everything out in my spare room, so I can see it, I can realize that I may not need 10 pair of shorts...ya get the drift.

I'd suggest not trying to pack too lightly as you will end up buying what you had at home, but giving it a lot of thought on how you mix and match things. Like Goldilocks, pack just right! LOL I also bring little packs of Tide, (looks like a handiwipe pack) and use the sink for some small items to be washed. I also use a steamer to keep my clothes from looking wrikled.

Thanks for your help!

SGK

Wish I had a list for you. My DW did a 14 day trans Atlantic with only a carry on bag so I know it can be done.

Archived