I think the service fee should be pro-rated based on cabin type...

Holg

You pay more; you get more. You work harder/smarter you make more. These aren't new principals; they have been around since the formation of this country. The difference is the opportunity is open to anyone; people in the suites weren't allowed in by birthright; they paid for it! Some of them might only cruise when they can afford the higher priced rooms because they like the extra service. Bottom line is people make choices and have different priorities; but since they are paying more for the rooms it would stand to reason more would come with the rooms.

Oh, and as for as the military resorts and charging based on pay grade. They don't charge based on pay grade, they simply lower the subsidy based on pay grade. The lower ranks get more of a subsidy then the higher ranks; but they all get subsidized because of their serivice to our country. Before someone jumps on me for calling it a subsidy, I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all! I'm just making the distinction between credit given vs straight charges.

So if I pay less for my room, I should expect lower standards of service. That's what would happen. If I was a service provider and I know that my tip is going to be less from someone in a lower category room, I wouldn't waste my best service on them. And if you think the staff won't know what room you're in to know who's the big tipper...you've never been around a group of workers in a small environment. The suite passengers would be pointed out to everyone and the lowest level inside cabin would be too. That's why a set suggested rate for everyone works so well. Granted, some people tip more or less but a set suggested rate has worked for years. It's a good topic to discuss though. :)

We were in only ocean view and my cabin mate had about $3,500 on her cruise charges, mostly spa charges. You dont have to be in a more expensive room to run up lots of charges obviously.

Maybe the poster only meant that bigger rooms should pay more tips than $10, not that inside cabins should pay less.

My personal theory is that the more expensive cabins have more experierenced room stewards. The time we booked last minute, we had a inside room with a very poorly trained steward, who only had 3 months experience....so maybe the cheaper rooms should tip less??? They service is not always up to par?

Im still testing out this theory. Ill let you know after another 10 - 30 cruises if I still think the cheaper cabins have less qualified room stewards.

Just kinda kidding...Im still laughing about the "size doesnt matter" comment. lol Hard to be serious after reading that. You guys are too funny.

3500. dollars, wow, how long was the cruise and not being personal but what was the room rate? wow

So if I pay less for my room, I should expect lower standards of service.

If you pay less for your room you should expect fewer perks or special privileges. You're level of actual service should be the same. When you book a lower priced room you are still paying for the room cleaning, meal service, etc. What you aren't buying is the extra privileges that come with having additional staff, such as the concierge, to help you obtain those privileges. My point is NCL's privileges aren't based on social standings or classes; it's based on what you payed for when booking the ship. And everyone has the opportunity to chose to pay for them.

And you are right, this has been a very lively thread.;)

One would think an experienced cruiser might understand the difference between an aircraft and a cruise ship, but, alas, it appears not so. On the former, multiple classes are kept separate. On a cruise ship, everyone mingles once they leave their cabin.

Don't agree with your distinction, but is it better to compare to hotels? I've received additional "perks" when I stay in suites at nice hotels, similar to the ones mentioned on ship (dining/food, shows, concierge, rides, lounges). I for one don't feel guilty flying first/business class to the port city to board a penthouse suite. I'm quite sure I "pay" for it several different ways on board, as Shoreguy noted. :D :cool:

How a person looks at a situation is what matters - I work hard for my Balcony room - I get excited that on the list of rooms my room (BB) is not at the bottom - some think spending more money above the cost of an an inside room is a waste - I love it and it is worth it to me ... I would love a villa - I hope to meet someone who will take me on a villa crusie one day - I love to try and see a penthouse or other fancy rooms on the last day when the rooms are being cleaned - to see how the other half lives - I say "Good for Them!" If I really really want that type of room, service and perks I just have to save (for a few years no doubt) but they should get what what they pay for - If I get turned away becasue I came across someone's perk I am not going to get angry - I look at it and think how cool that is for them - I hope they enjoy their meal and I walk away with a smile that I learned something new that day ...

Then I think about my friends on shore who didn't even get to go on any kind of vacation and become thankful for what I have ....

Old Faithful

How a person looks at a situation is what matters - I work hard for my Balcony room - I get excited that on the list of rooms my room (BB) is not at the bottom - some think spending more money above the cost of an an inside room is a waste - I love it and it is worth it to me ... I would love a villa - I hope to meet someone who will take me on a villa crusie one day - I love to try and see a penthouse or other fancy rooms on the last day when the rooms are being cleaned - to see how the other half lives - I say "Good for Them!" If I really really want that type of room, service and perks I just have to save (for a few years no doubt) but they should get what what they pay for - If I get turned away becasue I came across someone's perk I am not going to get angry - I look at it and think how cool that is for them - I hope they enjoy their meal and I walk away with a smile that I learned something new that day ...

Then I think about my friends on shore who didn't even get to go on any kind of vacation and become thankful for what I have ....

Old Faithful

I agree and you have a fabulous outlook on life! :)

Old Faithful

Nice - It would seem that you have been able to express exactly how many of us feel.

Thank You for sharing your thoughts with humility and kindness.

I agree with Holg's view on a higher price tip for those who buy the balcony or villa suite, I mean their rooms are much bigger and there is way more room to clean. But I also agree with maryfrei about the restraunts servers, it's a tough call to make. A possible solution would be a maybe $5-10 more for those who have larger cabin, while the cheapest cabins remain $10, that might be a way to justify the price range in cabins.

But...when you stay in a suite and have a butler and a concierge you also (should) tip them-which can be an additional $200-$300. based on what services they provide.

We have been extremely lucky to have had superior room stewards on all of our cruises and do tip them in excess of the $10. per day-per person

-the same goes for superior wait staff or bar service personnel.

I know these employees do not make much salary at all-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We have been in inside rooms to the owner's suite, and we have always tipped in addition to the auto service charge.....

I think most of the crew deserves that and more. Just my 2¢

Jackie

I think since you have stayed in an Owners Suite before you need to put in more than 2¢ worth. Have to be fair since you are "rich" enough to stay in the big rooms. lol

Sorry I couldn't resist responding. Now that my pockets are empty I will leave.

Tips should be based on the level of the service, not on the cost of the cabin or the cost of the meal. Using a percentage is just an objective way of coming up with a number based on a subjective issue - level of service.

Supposed two people sit at the same table and have separate checks. Everything is the same except one orders a $30 steak and the other orders a $10 hamburger. So for one the meal comes to $40 and the other the meal comes to $20. Both leave a 20% tip, or $8 and $4.

Did the person who ordered the steak get twice the service just because the steak cost more than the hamburger? I don't think so.

A person in a balcony gets the same level of service as a person in an inside cabin. Only in a suite does the level of service increase. Why should a person in a balcony pay more for the same level of service, or why should the person in the inside cabin pay less for the same level of service?

Archived