Where will I find Mystic Topaz?

jandjfun

Where will I find mystic topaz? A friend of a friend of my daughter got a nice bracelet, and earrings made with this stone, and said she bought them in Jamacia, but they also had them on the ship. Anyone know about this stone?

I have a beautiful pair of studs which I absolutely love since no matter what you are wearing they match the outfit.

They had nice ones on the ship and we saw them on many islands. The prices were comparable on the ship so if you like something there get it.

I don't know which islands you are going to but Aruba had a lot, St Thomas, and Barbados also.

Is mystic topaz the same as Caribbean topaz - sort of iridescent. Purplish with rainbow???

If so...they are on the ship. DH bought a ring for DD to wear on formal night. It was beautiful - not very expensive.

I don't know if mystic topaz is the same as caribbean stone or not. I had never even heard of mystic topaz until my daughter asked me to get her a piece of jewerly with it. I have a picture of the stone she wants, but I don't know how to post it here. A red X keeps coming up.

I will look on the ship and at the ports we go to, if I find it, I find it, if not, oh well. Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate them.

You can get it at your local Wal-Mart. I'm not kidding, this is not a natural stone. Mystic Topaz is lab created by coating a white topaz with an oxidizer that makes all the colors when light hits it at different angles. You have to be careful with the stone as you can scratch the stuff off. I live in Northern Michigan and I've seen this stone regularly advertised and stocked by my local JC Penney, Wal-Mart, and Meijers stores.

You can find it anywhere. It can be a genuine topaz though not lab created but it does go thru a firing process in a lab to bring it to color. I have a several topaz's and one large mystic stone and it's nice but its become too common and the prices are low. I prefer the London blue.:)

Actually, it is a white topaz that has a titanium dioxide coating put on by a fusion process called PVD:p It is a natural stone with an un-natural process and appearance. I sold my first piece of it 10 years ago. As the buyer where I am currently, I will not stock it. Let everyone buy it as a vacation memory!!!

The London that ahqacruiser mentioned is Blue Topaz, one of the birthstones for December (along with turquoise and Tanzanite). Blue Topaz is a permanent treatment achieved by a heat process and is easily available in three color variations: Sky (very pale to baby blue), Swiss (the bright aqua that most people recognize) and London (dark aqua/teal with a navy to black undertone).

Hope this helps everyone get advance to the next spot in their next game of Trivial Pursuit!:D

Soooo....where could I find a good quality "London" topaz, pref. in white gold or loose when in Grand Cayman or Cozumel? And are the prices good there? (DW and I are braving 4 degree temps to do jewelry comparison shopping tomorrow....)

Thanks for any advice you share! I (and DW's jewelry box) will greatly appreciate it!

Janet, I got a gorgeous 14k gold mystic/caribbean topaz ring in Ocho Rios last April. I also purchased a sterling silver mystic topaz ring and earrings in Cozumel in June of 2005. They were all over Coz last year. This year I'm on the hunt for anything fleur-de-lis (to honor New Orleans) in sterling silver. ;)

I cruise to shop.:eek:

Janet, I got a gorgeous 14k gold mystic/caribbean topaz ring in Ocho Rios last April. I also purchased a sterling silver mystic topaz ring and earrings in Cozumel in June of 2005. They were all over Coz last year. This year I'm on the hunt for anything fleur-de-lis (to honor New Orleans) in sterling silver. ;)

I cruise to shop.:eek:

This is really good to know. My daughter and I were under the impression that Jamacia was the only place I would be able to find it. I feel much better knowing that Coz. is a good shopping place for it. A little safer than OR. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Soooo....where could I find a good quality "London" topaz, pref. in white gold or loose when in Grand Cayman or Cozumel? And are the prices good there? (DW and I are braving 4 degree temps to do jewelry comparison shopping tomorrow....)

Thanks for any advice you share! I (and DW's jewelry box) will greatly appreciate it!

London is the hardest to find of all the Blue Topaz colors, Sky and Swiss are much more popular. It will be a matter of searching. In Cayman (just there two weeks ago today:( ) Kirk Freeport is very nice and quite reputable. They are not cheap, but they're quite respected - a 'safe' purchase. There are others too, but none that i know by name.

In Cozumel (two weeks and a day...so sad!), there is the ever-present Diamonds Int'l., Effy is also somewhere that you should probably check. I didn't stop in the store in that particular port, but they generally have very nice colored stone pieces. Also, check Rachat & Romero - again, didn't stop there but they're a guaranteed vendor and advertise their large selection of colored stones and settings. Good Luck!

London is the hardest to find of all the Blue Topaz colors, Sky and Swiss are much more popular. It will be a matter of searching. In Cayman (just there two weeks ago today:( ) Kirk Freeport is very nice and quite reputable. They are not cheap, but they're quite respected - a 'safe' purchase. There are others too, but none that i know by name.

In Cozumel (two weeks and a day...so sad!), there is the ever-present Diamonds Int'l., Effy is also somewhere that you should probably check. I didn't stop in the store in that particular port, but they generally have very nice colored stone pieces. Also, check Rachat & Romero - again, didn't stop there but they're a guaranteed vendor and advertise their large selection of colored stones and settings. Good Luck!

Diamond Girl.. We are going to be in Cayman the day my daughter turns 5. Her ears are pierced and I am thinking about a pair of earrings for her birthday that she could wear that evening, which is formal night. It would be nice if the present can serve the purpose of the day and also a reminder of the trip. Which of the 3 you wrote of would you suggest in Cayman. We will also be in Ocho Rios the day before. Any suggestions?

I bought two beautiful rings in Ketchikan.........I've been on a few cruises since my Alaska and the price on the ship was significantly higher......

I heard the Caribbean has a ton as well, but supposedly the prices were better in Alaska.....

Guess you'd better book a cruise eh?

I bought a pair of earrings, with diamonds set in white gold right in the SJ Airport.

When I came home, I wanted to see if I got a good deal or not, checked out several jewelers....

To my surprise I paid double the price....:eek:

This happened to my sister in Playa Del Carmen too. The store she bought her ring in is very highly know, and promoted by the 5 star resort we were staying in. She got the price down to less than half of what they wanted, and she still got ripped off. The ring appraised for 2,000.00 less than she paid.

In this case you just have to say, Do I love this piece? Yes? It must be yes, because you bought it, then it doesn't matter the appraised value. Just enjoy the beautiful jewerly you bought.

BUT on the other hand, she will NOT be buying jewelry outside the country anymore.:(

Archived