Question about passport?

Was on the Enchantment this past December -- upon check-in they did take my passport (Canadian) with my SeaPass form and showed it to agents and returned it to me. It stayed in the safe the rest of the cruise. For returning to the ship after port calls (Key West, Cozumel and Belize City) only required to show picture I.D. - used my Canadian driver's license and had no problems.

(Did hear them ask before they took my passport "are we keeping the Canadians" so gather they maybe keeping some countries.)

Non-US for Carribean cruises, the line usually retains the passport. Depending upon the port from which you sail, and your passport country of origin, the cruise line retaining the passport (or hotels in the case of land based trips) is not uncommon. I've had my US passport 'retained' on a European cruise. I used to travel internationally extensively on business, and this has been going on forever.

Always keep a photocopy of your inside page of your passport when travelling internationally (one copy on you at all times, one copy with a traveling companion, one copy in your suitcase, one copy with a trusted person 'back home'). In case of any trouble, your consulate will be able to do a lot if they have the numbers and other info even if you do not have the actual passport on you.

Archived