An AOS "timing" question

First of all, thanks to all who helped out with my questions regarding stateroom selection and hotels in San Juan! Now that those issues have been settled.....

Our AOS cruise returns to San Juan on August 5 at 8:00 AM, and we are flying JetBlue back to NY that same day. My friend thinks that we will be able to make an 11:10 AM flight and wants to book that one. We are two couples at 50...not much speed there ;) ..., and I think he's, well, dreaming:D . The next flight out is at 1:35 PM. He doesn't want to end up hanging around the airport for 2 1/2 hours, and I certainly wouldn't mind missing THAT thrill either, but the last things I want to end my vacation with are angst & anxiety:eek: !!!

So, may I ask my fellow CC'ers to share your wisdom with me on this topic?

If you were coming into Miami, I'd say go for the earlier flight--I don't know about San Juan, tho! I don't think anything is worse than ending a vacation killing time, waiting for a flight! We always try to book the earliest flight home we can!

You can be off the ship in one of the 1st groups if you tell the customer service desk that you do have an early flight-- (Of course, you could do self-debarkation--but that can be a hassle)

Good luck in whichever decision you make!

Both times I sailed out of San Juan there were computer issues with immigration and customs and even though we docked at 7 am they did not "release" the ship for disembarkation until almost 10: 30 one time and 9 the other. I would go for the 1:30 flight and if you do get off earlier than go to lunch or something to kill the time.

I had a similar question a few days ago, although I was inquiring about a 10:45 flight. Thanks to all the good info here on CC, I changed our flight to the afternoon, and even tho it is later than I would like, I know I won't be stressed about missing the flight!

We just did the San Juan trip on AOS in December. We had a 10:30 flight and it worked beautifully. They will get you off the ship and to the airport in plenty of time. We were at the airport by 8:30AM. We even had time to eat at the airport. I understand the anxiety because I certainly had it beforehand, but am happy to report that all went very smoothly.

We just flew home from AOS on Sunday, and I have to say, I wish we were on the earlier flight. Our assigned time to get off the ship was 8:20 am, even though our flight was not until 2pm. Since our last port was St. Thomas, we had already gone thru immigrations. Getting off in San Juan was very organized, luggage easy to find, and many many cabs available. And on a Sunday morning, the traffic is very light.

Firstly, thanks for all the responses regarding the "11:10 vs. 1:35 Return Flight Controversy"! So far, it's about 70% 1:35 and 30% 11:10.

My next question/controversy regards the dinner seatings. Our only previous cruise was last summer on the NCL Spirit with the "Freestyle Dining", so we have no experience with timed seatings.

My friend (husband of our traveling companions) wants to do the late shift (he doesn't want to feel rushed....the same fellow who wants the 11:10 return flight!...how ironic!) However, the itinerary (this is the one that starts with Barbados) shows the ship leaves every port at either 5:00 or 5:30 PM. I assume that means you should be back on the ship by 4:15 or 4:45 at the latest. Logically, that should leave anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2 hours to rest-up, shower and dress for the 6:15 seating, I would think:confused:?

All four of agree that we DO want to attend as many of the shows and activities as possible. That being the case, is the earlier seating advisable, or will either seating be OK?

Thanks in advance for any guidance my Fellow CC'ers can provide!

(Believe me folks....this is just the tip of the iceberg! When we return, I promise to provide a detailed review and to return the favor!:)

Either seating is OK--they will have the shows for late seating BEFORE dinner, and the main seating shows AFTER dinner. There is no reason to miss a show!!! (They've been doing this a looooong time--and they have it down to a science!!!)

Pick whichever time is closest to your "at home" dinner time. Your stomach will thank you!

Just a note: we like late seating because we prefer to drink before dinner--not much on having drinks after! So, late seating is better for us. Some folks like to eat, and then go and party!

Be advised that if you do late seating, there is almost no way to partake of any "midnight buffet"-type offerings! Late seating ends around 10:30--we've NEVER been able to eat at the poolside BBQ, or the chocolate buffet, or the regular midnight buffet! Our loss!

Hi again folks, and thanks for all your help!

I noticed that the RCI book that we have, and several reviews from early 2006 with this same itinerary, show St. Thomas as the first port, and Barbados as the last, leaving San Juan at 10:00 PM. However, the current itinerary, as confirmed by Ocean State (thanks!), lists the whole thing in reverse...with Barbados first and St. Thomas last, and departing from San Juan at 8:30 PM.

That means that your U.S. Customs ordeal should be taken care of in St. Thomas and not in Puerto Rico, no? Could it be that RCI considered this, and therefore reversed the plan?? If so, BRAVO!!

So....if we eliminate the U.S. customs issue from the disembarkation process, does the 11:10 departure flight seem more attainable?

Thanks in advance for your input:)!!

Archived