How do you pack for a 14 night cruise?

HookedAfterOne

We did a 14 day cruise on the Zenith. Packing depends on where you're going (as in what to pack). The laundry and dry cleaning is quite reasonable on board. Pack for 7 days, take some woolite (if you want) for your delicates. But mostly you'll be in shorts and bathing suit if you're going on the carribean. They are smaller so you can pack more. If you're into the formal dress, Pack an extra formal shirt and dress. I believe there are 3 formal nights on a 14 day cruise.

HTH

Just my 2 cents worth of an opinion.

FF

Boy, I have the same question. I am going on a 15 day cruise & have no idea how to pack. The airlines will love me with all the extra $ they will get from the overloaded suitcase.

But seriously, between 3 formals, 4 informals, 8 casuals plus the day wear, bathing suits, shoes, etc., I don't know how to pack & not go over 50 lbs. the airline requires.

I know double up on outfits but its still alot of stuff you have to pack.

Any suggestions?

I always bring a plain black short cocktail dress and a couple of sequined jackets, and a couple of loose short chiffon wraps (tops). If you can go to ebay and buy Chico's "traveler's knits" or "citiknits" they are pants, shorts, tops, etc. especially made for traveling. They roll up or ball up in the luggage and never wrinkle. You dip them in the sink and hang to dry in your shower, overnight. Work around just a few colors and buy very thin cotton, never iron shirts, and trousers for men. JC Penney has a lot.

icon1.gifHow do you pack for a 14 night cruise?

Gleefully!!!

I'm sorry. I guess that's not very helpful...

Don't forget that you're allowed TWO checked bags at up to 50 lbs. each, plus a carry-on. Even if you have to pay more for going overweight, I think that's better than wishing you had an item or an outfit that you left behind. On the other hand, don't forget that these cabins, especially the standard cabins don't have a ton of room to STORE everything you may wish to take...

I'm packing now and I have (for my husband and self) a regular size suitcase that will hold all of our shoes, my toiletries and other things that we now cannot pack in our carryons. Then, I'll divide up all of our shorts, bathing suits and everyday shirts and tops, pjs, etc into two suitcases. Finally, my husband's suit and sport coat, pants and my dresses will go into the garment bag. Finally, goodies and needed medications will go into our carryon. I can't do it with anything less. I will also utilize the ship's cleaning services.

We are going on our 3rd 14 day cruise. Hints:

The pressing service on the ship is great. Pressing is 1/2 of what you find for cleaning. For informal nights stuffing some shirts in the luggage and then pay $4.50 to have the 3 pressed (total) was well worth it. Or just bring one and have it cleaned/pressed between times.

Get your tux from http://www.cruiselineformal.com/. And not just the tux but also the shoes. You only get 2 shirts - see above. Or do what we have done at times, pack some Bounce laundry sheets and stick them in the arm pits.

Plan on buying some stuff while cruising. Tee Shirt here, Golf Shirt there.

Bring aboard your worst socks and undies and dispose of them at sea ;). Holey moley so to speak.

And don't forget:

It's a vacation!!!

I type up a day by day list of what I am wearing....and it does keep me from packing extra. Also, don't overpack T-shirts because you are bound to buy something along the way. For sea days, I only allow for the evening wear, because I'm in a bathing suit for most of the day. And remember, nobody is really watching if you wear something twice or even three times! :D Somehow I always come home with more clothes than I go with!:eek:

The key to successful packing for a 14 day cruise is as follows:

1) Don't be proud and try to fit everything in to one or two suitcases. Most airlines allow two suitcases per passenger. Take them up on this offer.

2) Pack your formalwear in one of the suitcases ensuring it isn't too full. This will help ensure it isn't terribly wrinkled.

3) Be prepared to use the ships laundry service especially for formal wear and other items. The price on board isn't too far off what you would pay a good dry cleaner at home. There are normally 2-4 days between formal events and this can allow you to just pack one shirt, etc.

4) Pack less than you need as you will ultimately buy stuff on shore (doesn't matter where you are going except for perhaps the Galapagos Islands).

5) Find your wifes suitcase that contains shoes and hide half of them :D (OK, just joking here but man would this ever help out).

6) Relax, it's a vacation. Don't worry if other people see you wearing the same outfit twice.

Hooked,

We took a 12 night cruise last summer on the Millie (family of 5) and boy, did we have luggage! In addition to the great hints others provided, I would also add that careful planning can really reduce overpacking (that and planning to use the laundry service...it's reasonably priced and they do a great job). Really plan out your evening outfits and port/excursion outfits and you will probably find that you can...for instance wear the same dressy black pants with three different tops or rewear the same dress to dinner on day 3 and day 12 (who in the world would notice or comment?!). For the men, same thing...my DH brought 4 pairs of dockers in various colors and rewore them twice and then sent to the laundry.

My final comment will be on shoes :o I brought WAY too many (I know the men can't believe a woman will admit this!). Again, no one else on the ship is going to think less of you if you wear the same black heels several times. I think I had over a dozen pairs of shoes/sandals/sneakers etc and ended up wearing my "favorites" all the time anyway. There is alot of walking on these ships (and certainly in ports, in Europe especially)and I wanted to be comfortable...so my adorable highest-heeled pointy toed shoes ended up staying in the closet. They take up alot of suitcase space and I'd do it differently next time.

Happy planning,

Lynne

We too will be a family of 5 traveling ... not to mention the other 12 family members that will be on the cruise with us ... so the packing issue is a major concern of mine ... the way my kids want to pack ... I may need a UHaul trailer hookup to the family van just to make it to port for embarkation! Please don't take my comment as a complaint ... we are blessed to be able to do this ...

I can't go anywhere without my Chico's black travelers pieces, you can bring a variety of accessories-- my favorites being silk scarves and silky sheer tops worn over the black tank, they hardly weigh anything! No one notices if you wear the same black items several times if you have an eye catching piece of jewelry or a scarf.

Enjoyed your post.

We are cruising in two weeks for our first 14 day cruise.

started to just pull clothes out of storage and figuring out what to pack. My first response was 14 days-14 everyday tops. I dont like doing it but i better start thinking "less is best". I do have the black travel knit dress-with different accesories and black capri slacks with various tops but I will HAVE TO TRY and put some blouses back in storage ( not easy )

My Dh walked in the guest room today and saw all the clothes spread out and he just had a huge smile on his face--gave me a smooch-- and said "good luck !"

I think I will need it !!!

Enjoy your cruise

Nadine

also remember if going to europe their weight restrictions are less.. usually 1 or 2 bags and only around 44 lbs and they weigh your carry ons.. i learned the $$$ WAY

Chico travelers are great buy a skirt, pants, capri's and a few tops and mix and match..with the nicer skirts can use them on semi-formal and they hardly weigh anything at all, rinse them in sink hand them up and theyare good to go

downey wrinkle release spray is good for spraying clothes to get wrinkles out and to make them smell fresh.. so you can wear them more than once,, i usually pack a few capris,, 1 pair of jeans , just in case, and then a lot more tops... i take 1 pair of black flip flops since they go with anything , one pair of tennis shoes,, and then 1 dressy shoe.. i try to make it simple. hang all the nice clothes in a garmet bag and pack the rest,,

we have 1 HUGE suitcase each, we call them the hummers,,, its easier to travel with, and like i said get the downey spray, it smells better than febreeze...

melissa

Archived