Xunantunich:the castle

NJLVW

We are going on NCL Sun in March. Anyone have any info on Xunantunich? Anyone been on ncl excursion. Looking for all info I can get. I did a little research and it does look wonderful. Just would like others opinions if they have gone.

Thank you

Our family LOVED it. We were able to go up into one of the castle areas. It seemed to be bigger (more buildings and more information) than other ruins we saw. There was a modern building with some of the reliefs that had been salvaged during one dig with some information about them. Fantastic photo opportunities, as the courtyard in between the buildings is quite large. Our dd was almost 3 and proclaimed that she was the princess of the castle; son was 6 and had been learning about the Mayans, so he had some fun insights and we looked specifically for evidence of things he'd learned about. We weren't part of a tour "group". My husband had booked through an individual he found on-line. I'll see if I can find his information.

We are going on the NCL excursion at the end of Feb via the SUN. Will post a review when I return. It was a toss up between the Castle and Lannai (sp?). I'm prepared to do my Indian Jones climb. In Sept we managed to climb Coba which is the 2nd largest pyramid in the Yucatan and this one is a couple feet higher.

Rick

Thanx jc42 & wdowns9. I was deciding between the castle, altun ha or the beach break. Really want to do the castle.

wdowns9 I will be getting on the ship as you are coming off. Have a great cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else just coming back that might have gone to the castle? I would love some more feedback. The pictures looks awesome and I was able to do a little research. With NCL it looks like you go to a Belizein (spelling) restaurant. Real native food. Anyone have any feedback? We are leaving March 4th on the Sun.

Thanx

We visited Xunatunich on Feb 1st through a cruise ship excursion. I have to admit I was not looking forward to it because it was a long (7 Hour) excursion which would take up our full time in port. We signed up because we were with a group of people who wanted to do it. I am so glad we went. It was one of the highlights of our week! Xunatunich is pronounced "zshoo-NAN-too-NEECH" It means "maiden of the rock".

It was about a one&1/2 hour bus ride to get to the ruin. The tour guide on the bus was very informative and pointed out different sights throughout Belize City as well as in the countryside. He spoke of the country, the people and their way of life as well as the history and modern day Mayan people. The country is beautiful so along with the narration the bus ride went really fast. The Maya property itself is beautiful. Our tour guide continued to point out and explain to us what we were actually looking at which I felt added to the experience. The highlight of the trip is climbing up the highest ruin called "El Castillo" which is being referred to as the castle on this thread. The steps are steep, and can be slick in some spots so be sure you wear your tennis shoes. Once on top you are over 130 feet above the entire sight. I was surprised once on top that there is no barrier on the edge just a straight drop down. If you are afraid of heights this may not be the climb for you. I am not but still got a little queasy over the fact that their was no barrier and the stone was a little slick. The climb is worth it for the breath taking view. You have a 360 Panoramic view over the jungle canopy of the macal, mopan and Belize River Valley as well as being able to see into Guatemala which is just a few miles away. Once up you have to climb down which is another adventure in itself. After leaving the sight we were taken to a place called Windy Hill for a Belize style lunch. The area was pretty and there were parrots throughout the area which I had not expected and thought was fun. The bus ride back was quieter and some took a quick nap. We really enjoyed this trip. For our first visit to Belize we felt we got a great feel for the country and it's people.

Hi Tinkerbell,

Hopefully there will be enough space on the excursion for us to go. I should've booked ahead of time. Oh well it will be one of the first things to do onboard. After all my research I can't wait to go. See you there...

We just toured these ruins using NCL Sun's shore excursion. We tendered off first and met up with our guide and bus. Only 12 people on a full size bus. Journey to the ruins was about 1 1/2hrs with lots of local history and culture explained by our guide. When we arrived we departed the bus, boarded the ferry then buses to the site. We learned about the ruins then made an assent on the Castilo 130' med-moderate climb. The steps have been redone so that helps a lot. The view and experience was well worth it. My wife even made the climb and she has severe arthritis. We then toured some more but the guide wanted to leave. We then asked to see Plaza B so he told us to do it on our own and he would meet us. He wanted to give us only 1hr but we wanted more so we slowed the pace.

After touring we headed back to San Ignacio for fajahita style beef, rice, beans, fried plantains, tortillas and juice. Food was good. Soda was $2 and beer $4. Then back to the pier with time to shop. We arrived around 330p and the last tender was 5p. Trip was worth the $89 due to time and possiblity of issues. You can get it cheaper but risk being stuck if something goes wrong.

DH and I have booked these ruins and 'marimba lunch' on Mar27/07 as one of our EOS port stops..It's booked through the cruiseline..it sounds so wonderful!

Anyone from EOS March 25 doing this?

Archived