Purchase duty-free at MIA?

RoyalTraveler

All duty free at airports is only for sale to departing international travelers.

Unfortunately you can't stop and buy a bottle after getting off your domestic flight to MIA for your cruise. As a matter of fact, if you're arriving on an international flight you can't even buy duty free liquor - it's only for departing international travelers.

At most US airports, duty free is delivered to the aircraft by the shop. The shop keeps it after you buy it, but you collect it just as you're boarding the aircraft. There is no problem with carrying it on board your first sector. AFAIK, MIA works along these lines (although I've pretty much given up buying traditional duty free myself so I have no recent experience).

However, you will go through security again at MAD at which point the bottle will not be allowed beyond the security point. This is subject to the sealed bag exception: if you buy within the EU, the shop will seal the bag in which the goods are, and you can then pass through any EU airport connecting passenger security point with the goods so long as the seal is intact.

But I don't know whether duty free purchases at US ports are currently sealed into a bag, or whether the seal is recognised.

There are many liquor/wine shops in the Miami area near the cruise port (not within walking distance). If you are taking a taxi from the airport to the port simply ask your taxi driver to stop at a local wine store and wait a few minutes (this will cost you a few dollars) why you buy your wine. If you are going on RCI, do not waste your time since they no longer allow any alcohol (including wine) to be brought on-board.

Archived