Hubbard/Glacier Bay OR Tracy Arm Fjord

kktk

Browser posted duplicate....please ignore this thread

I guess we have a choice of one of the above three.

I have read quite a bit about the 2 first ones....but cant find too many people talking about Tracy Arm....how does that compare?

This is our frist trip up there and we probably wont go again for a while.

In that case, which one should we pick?

Also, if getting close to the glaciers is what we are interested in--what would suit better?

K

Maybe people don't talk about Tracy Arm because no one (at least on a cruise ship) ever gets close enough to see the glaciers.

Tracy Arm has lots of ice and most cruise ships make it as far as the island where the fjord splits into N. and S. Sawyer inlets. If you squint real hard you can see the glaciers from there. Not that Tracy Arm isn't a spectacularly beautiful place - odds are you just won't get close to a glacier on a cruise ship. If seeing glaciers is a priority, go to Glacier Bay and Hubbard.

We have done two trips to Alaska; both May 22-27th. First one we didn't get too far into Tracy Arm because of the ice. Second trip we went to College Fjords and Glacier Bay; had better luck there. I really wanted to see calving (I know there are no guarantees that you will see this event). Only saw very minor calving at Glacier Bay. For our next cruise (May 2008) we are going to Hubbard. People tell me that Hubbard is more active and we will have a better chance of seeing calving there. On the other hand, I have seen posts where people have experienced lots of calving at Glacier Bay. I guess the event is pure luck. I just hope my luck pays off at Hubbard in 2008. :)

So what else are we doing at these ports besides watching the glaciers?

Isnt that the main thing...or are these 3 glacier options being compared on the basis of other activities?

Do we actually leave the ship on any of these destinations?

for glacier viewing, it's cruising all day. basically it's a sea day with lots of views. for glacier bay, the rangers come aboard before dawn, but we didn't get to the main glaciers until almost 10am, cruising slowly thru the bay taking in the views.

Isnt that the main thing...or are these 3 glacier options being compared on the basis of other activities?

None of these destinations involve leaving the ship. They are described as "scenic cruising."

Hubbard Glacier is -- a big glacier! The ship will spend some time in front of it, usually turning so both sides get a view.

Glacier Bay is -- a bay full of glaciers! It is a pretty scenic cruise, you get to see several glaciers, and normally the ship stops in front of the prettiest and most photogenic, Margerie Glacier and turns so everybody gets a look.

Tracy Arm is -- Yosemite, only filled with water. It is a deep fjord and a long scenic cruise into the fjord. There are frequently lots of chunks of intense blue glacier ice floating by, lots of birds and sometimes wildlife to view, pretty waterfalls and scenery. Down at the end of it, if the ship can get that far, are two small glaciers that are not very spectacular.

You can see pics of Tracy Arm and also Glacier Bay by clicking on the links to our Sapphire Princess and Zuiderdam Alaska cruises at the site in my sig.

If glaciers are the main thing, then Tracy Arm is not the spot. But the scenery is the best of any of the options. AFAIK HAL is the only line that offers both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay on one itinerary.

Whatever you pick, you will LOVE Alaska!

have a GREAT cruise!

that's what i thought...that on either hubbard, glacier bay or tracy arm...its going to be stay on the ship the whole time....no shore excursions...

in that case picking the right side side of the ship to along with any narration might make sense??? especially if we choose to stay in our balcony??

None of these destinations involve leaving the ship. They are described as "scenic cruising."

Hubbard Glacier is -- a big glacier! The ship will spend some time in front of it, usually turning so both sides get a view.

Glacier Bay is -- a bay full of glaciers! It is a pretty scenic cruise, you get to see several glaciers, and normally the ship stops in front of the prettiest and most photogenic, Margerie Glacier and turns so everybody gets a look.

Tracy Arm is -- Yosemite, only filled with water. It is a deep fjord and a long scenic cruise into the fjord. There are frequently lots of chunks of intense blue glacier ice floating by, lots of birds and sometimes wildlife to view, pretty waterfalls and scenery. Down at the end of it, if the ship can get that far, are two small glaciers that are not very spectacular.

You can see pics of Tracy Arm and also Glacier Bay by clicking on the links to our Sapphire Princess and Zuiderdam Alaska cruises at the site in my sig.

If glaciers are the main thing, then Tracy Arm is not the spot. But the scenery is the best of any of the options. AFAIK HAL is the only line that offers both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay on one itinerary.

Whatever you pick, you will LOVE Alaska!

have a GREAT cruise!

Actually, there is a possible excursion involving Tracy Arm. NCL sells an excursion (on some sailings) on a excursion boat that departs from Juneau cruises up the Arm and to the glacier and then meets the ship (also in the arm). You leave the boat & board the ship directly. This excursion has gotten some great reviews.

I'm not sure if any other lines sell this excursion or not.

-Monte

Actually, there is a possible excursion involving Tracy Arm. NCL sells an excursion (on some sailings) on a excursion boat that departs from Juneau cruises up the Arm and to the glacier and then meets the ship (also in the arm). You leave the boat & board the ship directly. This excursion has gotten some great reviews.

-Monte

Any idea what it was called?

-Monte

AFAIK NCL is the only one offering this tour. If you've got the right itenerary this is a GREAT way to go.

Back to the OP's questions, if getting up close to the glacier is your priority, avoid Tracy Arm. If fantastic scenery is your priority (and glaciers are a nice bonus) I don't think it gets any better than Tracy Arm... Personally, when Tracy Arm is a destination, I always want to do it from a smaller boat (either my own or an Adventure Bound, Goldbelt, etc. tour.) The large cruise ships just throw the grand scale of Tracy Arm all out of whack, IMHO.

-Case

Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer (had to look it up in the 2006 shore excursions book, but that's the one). It was only available for those on the Norwegian Sun last year. I suspect that with the change in itineraries, if they offer it next season it will only be available for those on the Norwegian Star, but that excursion could make the Star a viable option to some of the other itineraries.

-Monte

The large cruise ships just throw the grand scale of Tracy Arm all out of whack, IMHO.

-Case

I agree with that observation. AND--it does normally let you get to the Glacier as well.

A few years back we went into Misty Fjord on a Royal Caribbean ship. Misty is so narrow, I sometimes wondered if we would fit!

-Monte

Mike I was watching your pictures from the Zuiderdam...what kinda cabin was that? It seemed like the balcony was fairly big and was not really sealed off from the cabin next to it?

K

LOL -- when we pay for our own cruise, we have an outside cabin down on a lower deck someplace. But when we travel with Aunt Ruth, she likes to go first class! That particular picture where we were watching the glaciers in Glacier Bay was in the two SA suites opposite the concierge club. We had the balcony door opened up so the two balconies connected and, boy, did we have plenty of room! Life is suite!;)

• 1 month later...
Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer (had to look it up in the 2006 shore excursions book, but that's the one). It was only available for those on the Norwegian Sun last year. I suspect that with the change in itineraries, if they offer it next season it will only be available for those on the Norwegian Star, but that excursion could make the Star a viable option to some of the other itineraries.

-Monte

Yes, it is being offered on the Norwegian Sun for 2007. We have it booked for May.

Regency Seven Seas offers the Tracy Arm trip on the Mariner - it's usually rated the most popular of their Alaska excursions. Here is the description from their current excursion book:

Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer

Duration: 6 Hours.

Seated.Join us for an exclusive opportunity to see the very best of the Tracy Arm wilderness area, and an exciting close-up view of the majestic Sawyer Glaciers.

You'll board a high-speed catamaran directly from the Seven Seas Mariner. Relax in the warm, spacious cabin, surrounded by large windows as your experienced captain guides you past curious seals resting on floating icebergs and extraordinary up-close views of South Sawyer Glacier. From the topside observation decks, you'll adore this unforgettable sensory experience. At times, you can feel immense spires of ice break from the glacier and crash into the sea. Before leaving Tracy Arm, you'll view the beautiful North Sawyer Glacier, which cannot be approached by large cruise ships.

While exploring the length of this ice-carved fjord, you'll cruise beneath cliffs that rise 4,000 feet above the jade-colored sea. There will be frequent stops to view and photograph wildlife, including Pigeon Guillemots, Bald Eagles, Harbor Seals, and on occasion, Mountain Goats and Black Bear. Feel the mist on your face as the vessel maneuvers almost directly under a plunging waterfall.

Departing Tracy Arm, the onboard naturalist will relate interesting information about the area, called "one of the most dramatically stunning fjords of Southeast Alaska" by naturalist John Muir. Enjoy complimentary snacks and beverages served by your friendly Alaskan crew on the cruise from Stephens Passage north to Juneau.

Provided: Binoculars and snacks.

Please note: To fully enjoy the outside observation deck, dress warmly and bring a rainproof jacket, hat and gloves. Vessel is equipped with restrooms. The tour will disembark next to the Seven Seas Mariner in downtown Juneau. A hearty snack will be served onboard the catamaran upon arrival, so those participating in an afternoon tour need not worry about lunch. This tour is available from June onwards. This tour will not rejoin the ship in Juneau until 1:15pm, we recommend not scheduling another tour until after 1:45pm. Please check actual departure times carefully once on board.

that's what i thought...that on either hubbard, glacier bay or tracy arm...its going to be stay on the ship the whole time....no shore excursions...

in that case picking the right side side of the ship to along with any narration might make sense??? especially if we choose to stay in our balcony??

If I were you, I would not stay in your cabin on your balcony during the glacier day. You get a much better perspective from being out on deck. From your balcony you only see one side of everything. From the promenade deck, where we were, we saw lots more. Sure the ship rotates in front of the glacier at Glacier Bay. But what if you were on the "wrong" side of the ship when the calving took place?

Just my 2 cents worth.

we were divide..DH's family when to the spinnaker lounge (NCL Star did glacier bay last year). they got great seats for FIL and family to camp out, non-smoking, comfortable, protected inside for FIL (hates cold). younger members and my DH went up on the deck. i was, mostly, on the balconey. i spend the day going through photos, working on the laptop as i enjoyed the quiet of the passing scenery. we were on the port side, so i got great views of the glaciers (port side recommended for views from balcony), heard the ice as the ship cruised through.

while i enjoyed not having other people in the photos or taking pictures through the protective screens... they have on the front of the ship to get the wind off...i did miss the calving. the ship had turned me away.

it was a small calving, might have missed it anyway. DH heard, saw and got it on his old camera. he was able to move as the ship turned, keeping the glacier (john hopkins) in sight.

it just depends on what you like. i would recommend spending some time on the balcony and going up to get the "whole" picture on deck..it's amazing. if you go up on deck, go up early to claim a spot..high enough to look over everyone and the wind shields.

Archived