London to Southampton-Sightseeing Along The Way?

Am considering a private transfer from London to Southampton on Embarkation day. We're able to "expand" the set BP transfer cost for add'l BP per hour fee for sight-seeing along the way, should we choose to do so.

Appears drive itself is approx 2hr.......London to Southampton?

We'll likely extend this drive. Given your experiences, what's doable? What would you make a slight detour to do? Departure from London hotel 7-9 am would be comfortable for us.

We never make a huge attempt to be at a port very early...perhaps 1-2pm. Ship leaves at the usual 5pm.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions for making this transfer more than just a car ride!

Thanks, Marty

If you want the reassurance of following the pack to the normal suspects then Winchester, Salisbury and Stonehenge is of course safe.

Personally I'd suggest you miss them all and spend an hour or two in the New Forest. Beaulieu and Bucklers Hard are in the New Forest.

http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/abouttheforest.html

I'd head first for Beaulieu

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

Wander around Palace House and then have a look at the worlds best car collection .......... and then have a pint of beer in a great English pub at Bucklers Hard (a mile away from Beaulieu) and see a small unspoilt village where they built 50 of Nelson's wooden war ships from the 1740's. It has a wonderful peaceful unforgettable atmosphere as there's no traffic and a feeling of real history. Park in the Master Builders Hotel car park and wander through the hotel to the bar before having a wander around the village. It's also a great place for lunch.

http://www.bucklershard.co.uk/

I think you'd remember these things much more and longer than the well trodden tourist traps. This is where I take my visitor friends and all say that they wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Jeff

We took a private day tour from London to Southampton with Harry Norman Tours - he is an excellent guide and great fun. We stopped at Stonehenge, Old Sarum (Roman Ruins) and Salisbury Cathedral before arriving at Southampton around 4pm.

We also used Harry on the way back to London, this time going to Hampton Court Palace for several hours.

Here is the email address if you want to make an inquiry HarrysTour@aol.com

Harry's website

We took a private day tour from London to Southampton with Harry Norman Tours - he is an excellent guide and great fun. We stopped at Stonehenge, Old Sarum (Roman Ruins) and Salisbury Cathedral before arriving at Southampton around 4pm.

We also used Harry on the way back to London, this time going to Hampton Court Palace for several hours.

Here is the email address if you want to make an inquiry HarrysTour@aol.com

Harry's website

He wasn't that good. Old Sarum is a Saxon ruin and is 5000 years old - not 2000 years old. But what is 3000 years between friends.

My vote would be for the New Forest, the Otter and Owl Santuary is wonderful, they do great conservation work, there is a lovely tea room there and it's close to the Southampton end of the New Forest

http://www.ottersandowls.co.uk/newforest.htm

Winchester is also a nice city to see.

http://www.visitwinchester.co.uk/site/home

Lots,

If you're in the mood for trying something different you must try:

http://www.lepoussinatparkhill.co.uk/

It is a remarkable find - very close to Lyndhurst, Beaulieu and Bucklers Hard, and the weekday lunch menu is unbelievable value for a Michelin star restaurant - 2 courses for £15:00. It would be great value at £50:00.

http://www.lepoussinatparkhill.co.uk/whatsnew.aspx?mode=view&id=60

Don't let the fact that Gordon Ramsey rates it put you off!

Jeff

Thanks all. I am so appreciative of your wonderful & varied responses!

First off......no one has responded as to my "belief" that just the car transfer alone from London to Southampton is approx. 2hrs!??!! Am I right in that?

If that is correct, AND I leave London at a comfortable time (7-8am) then I have approx 4 hrs, maybe 5 hrs easily to "whip" my chauffeur into a stop or two along the way!!!??!!! I want to be at the Pier by the LATEST 2-3pm!! LATEST! The ship leaves at 5pm....must do "muster" et al you know.

Second.....after review, I think Salisbury, Stonehenge are NOT of particular interest to me. So, if I may, I'll narrow down what IS of int

erest to me and I'll now beg of "uk1" and

"lord of the seas" and anyone else for further advice to fine tune/plan this drive.

As a girl I loved and still love Jane Austen and John Keats! So her grave in Winchester, his "walks" at Cathedral Close, and/or her house in Chowton would be most important. 2 of 3 is quite fine if that's most efficient. After that, my goal would simply be to enjoy a quiet, wonderful lunch anywhere and a scenic drive on to Southampton. After 3 days in London & heading toward 12 port-intensive days.......I'd really like some countryside.

Someone had a lovely spot they suggested for lunch........but there may be other places that may be better positioned and more "along the way?" And, this old Yankee is ashamed she has "no clue" about New Forest!

It is always a concern of mine to hire a car without giving some clear direction.......they'll drive you anywhere! So, I need some plan/direction and, if you can, put yourself in my place....which could be alone! (my dear friends may choose to "extend" THEIR stay in Paris and NOT London, so I may be a solo on this drive to the port which is not a big deal for me.)

Thanks again, for your interest in helping me plan my day trip to Southampton.

Martha

First off......no one has responded as to my "belief" that just the car transfer alone from London to Southampton is approx. 2hrs!??!! Am I right in that?

As a girl I loved and still love Jane Austen and John Keats! So her grave in Winchester, his "walks" at Cathedral Close, and/or her house in Chowton would be most important. 2 of 3 is quite fine if that's most efficient. After that, my goal would simply be to enjoy a quiet, wonderful lunch anywhere and a scenic drive on to Southampton.

Central London to Southampton will be something of this order. If you're travelling on a weekday morning during the peak, add 30-60 minutes to the estimate.

If you want to be at the pier between 2 and 3 pm, that doesn't leave you enough time for a special lunch.

But if you're going to be in Winchester anyway, what about the bistro at the Hotel du Vin?

My main home is within 20 miles of Salisbury, Winchester, Southampton, New Forest and Stonehenge so know the area well.

Personally I think that Winchester is too much of a detour out of your time to merely see the Austen grave, unless you'll feel your life incomplete without it.

I recommend that you take your car down to the New Forest amd assuming you arrive at around about 09:30 (I'd leave the hotel at around 07:00'ish to ensure it) I'd go to Bealieu first and then travle the three or four miles to Bucklers Hard. I'd have lunch either at the hotel there (it's in the link I posted) or go a few miles to the Parkhill. If you're not having lunch at Bucklers Hard then around 30 to 40 minutes will give you time to soak the atmosphere.

Obviously if your budget extends to it Chewton Glen is one of the most expensive restaurants in the UK and is great and you won't be dissapointed. It is a destination in itself. However Parkhill is almost unknown and is a traditional but first class country tranquil house hotel 10 minutes away from Bucklers Hard and in the real New Forest. The wife collects mushrooms from the forest and most things are local. Chewton Glen is very upmarket and whereas most of the people at Parkhill will be well informed locals and clever people that have travelled - Chewton Glen is heavilly advertised, relatively expensive (a minimum of around £100 for two for luch) and is definately well-heeled people. I prefer Parkhill, it's tranquil, unpretentious and simply very English country house.

Parkhill to your ship is around 30 minutes so the whole timing of it maps out well.

If you are going to Winchester instead then the Hotel Du Vin is a possibility but there are much better places on the outskirts which I can suggest. If the draw of Winchester is too much then I recommend a pint of beer and perhaps lunch at the Wykeham Arms just outside the Cathederal walls. You'll eat traditional English food at old school tables from Winchester college/school.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=wykeham+arms&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

Review:

http://www.dine-online.co.uk/wykeham.htm

I suggest you read the links I posted and ask any further questions.

Jeff

Personally I think that Winchester is too much of a detour out of your time to merely see the Austen grave, unless you'll feel your life incomplete without it.
But not a detour in the physical sense. Winchester is right next to the motorway between London and Southampton.

Unless your trip is on a Saturday or Sunday the traffic will add a lot to your journey time, especially leaving london around 7am. Also, it depends whereabouts in London your are staying, as to how long it will take you to get onto the M3.

Any suggestions on getting over to Beaulieu area without a car? The auto museum sounds very interesting. I 'll be staying in Southampton but it doesn't look like National Express has any buses to this area. Any other public transportation?

Doug

Any suggestions on getting over to Beaulieu area without a car? The auto museum sounds very interesting. I 'll be staying in Southampton but it doesn't look like National Express has any buses to this area. Any other public transportation?

Doug

Beaulieu is impractical to reach without a car. Sorry. You could probably do a reasonable deal with a taxi from Southampton. Just agree the price in advance.

But not a detour in the physical sense. Winchester is right next to the motorway between London and Southampton.

If the OP wishes to stop at Winchester, they will need to drive in, find space in the multi-storey car park walk to the Cathederal, look around, return to the car, drive out of Winchester and resume their journey this will take a minimum 1.5hr chunk (if you really rush) out of what is already a restricted time.

If the OP wishes to stop at Winchester, they will need to drive in, find space in the multi-storey car park walk to the Cathederal, look around, return to the car, drive out of Winchester and resume their journey this will take a minimum 1.5hr chunk (if you really rush) out of what is already a restricted time.
But that's true of any of the stops.

For example, if you were starting in London and wished to go to Chewton Glen, you'd basically drive from London to Southampton, then for another 30-45 minutes beyond Southampton. After lunch, you'd simply go back the way you came and take 30-45 minutes to get back to Southampton.

That would be a "detour" in the true sense.

It's a similar story for everything else. There's no reason to single out Winchester as the "detour" to be avoided. We have occasionally stopped at Winchester on the way to/from Southampton (not to/from cruises, though) and it's about as easy an en route stop as you could expect. And it's more interesting than Basingstoke.

(Oh, dear, I know I will get into trouble for that last remark. :))

But that's true of any of the stops.

For example, if you were starting in London and wished to go to Chewton Glen, you'd basically drive from London to Southampton, then for another 30-45 minutes beyond Southampton. After lunch, you'd simply go back the way you came and take 30-45 minutes to get back to Southampton.

That would be a "detour" in the true sense.

It's a similar story for everything else. There's no reason to single out Winchester as the "detour" to be avoided. We have occasionally stopped at Winchester on the way to/from Southampton (not to/from cruises, though) and it's about as easy an en route stop as you could expect. And it's more interesting than Basingstoke.

(Oh, dear, I know I will get into trouble for that last remark. :))

I'm sure the OP has had sufficient advice to make up their own mind as to how they want to spend their day.

Archived