London to Southampton-Sightseeing Along The Way?

We did a similar trip in 2005, sans the need to be on time for embarkation. One thing to consider in your planning is the opening time for that the sites you plan to visit. We got an early start only to find out that we would have to wait about 45 minutes at our first stop. It gave us time to enjoy a morning cuppa. It would be a shame for you to discover that you might have to sacrifice some of your limited time in a similar manner.

We did a similar trip in 2005, sans the need to be on time for embarkation. One thing to consider in your planning is the opening time for that the sites you plan to visit. We got an early start only to find out that we would have to wait about 45 minutes at our first stop. It gave us time to enjoy a morning cuppa. It would be a shame for you to discover that you might have to sacrifice some of your limited time in a similar manner.

How true.

I know what you are thinking,forty five minutes from Chewton Glen to Southampton,I do pity the man with the red flag walking in front of the car.
Oh, I am so sorry: I forgot that it's fine if you let your chauffeur pick up all the penalty points.

But I can see the attraction of going to such a quaint place that still operates in that era of road speeds:-

Approximate Travel Times by car:

Southampton 35 Minutes by car

Good Evening uk1,Globaliser,debsjc, lord of the seas & spongerob!

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. Have been in touch with the car /driver service relative to options.

As debsjc mentioned, it will matter that my trip is on a Tuesday morning. Leaving from Holborn.

Tentative schedule is pick-up at 7:30am. 1st stop is Chawton House Library, Alton (where Austen lived) and they will make an EARLY effort for my visit. (Spongerob mentioned that I might get to a destination BEFORE it opens, thanks for heads-up) Then I'll go on to Winchester and tour Cathedral (and Austen's grave), I'll have lunch at Wykeham Arms (uk1's rec and I found a terrific review online for the pub) and, if time permits also see the Castle. Then drive on to Southampton. This wont be too much of stretch timewise?

Based on the recs here, I am looking into extending 1 night post-cruise to do New Forest area!

Thanks, again to you all. Martha

uk1:

Thanks for the link! It looks perfect, esp since we are boaters and spend most of our summers on Narragansett Bay and out at Martha's Vineyard.

BTW, the car service has suggested they make a reservation for lunch at Wykeham Arms so time is not wasted securing a table should it be busy.

The one caveat might be that I am unable to ensure that the Chawton House Library is/or can be open at 9:30am. Have not yet heard back relative to "hours" and flexibility. If neither I nor the car service can arrange that and a later start is required, a short tour of Winchester Castle may not be feasible.

Martha

Hi Martha,

I think you'll really love the Master Builders. It is on the edge of the New Forest where it hits the river just leading into the sea. What isn't done justice by the web site is that apart from the car park for the hotel, there is no traffic. So when the visitors leave in the evening you'll be in one of the most atmospheric places you'll ever experience. The little street of houses built in the 1700's has no raod just grass, and this is just outside the door. The pub attatched to the hotel is where you should spend some of your evening. I think you'll remember that night for the rest of your lives. It isn't an American hotel, it's very old, but it's (from recollection) where the ship's arciatect use to live.

I hope you go there and enjoy it.

Jeff

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=%22bucklers+hard%22&btnG=Search+Images

http://www.applegallery.co.uk/images/pictures/painting/033.jpg

etc........

Hello all:

Just an update to let you know that the FIRST part of my transfer is planned.

The car service will pick me up in Holborn and take me to Chawton House first (yes, Jane Austen) and they have taken the

initiative to call ahead and secure that the library can ALSO be open for my visit although not their regular day (extra 9.50bps). They will make reservations for lunch at the Wykeham Arms pub and I will tour Winchester Cathedral. The castle is NOT a huge priority for me and should my time be too close, Winchester Castle may not be toured and I will just head on and meet the ship. Leave Holborn at 8am--be at ship by 3pm.

I will try to find this thread again at a later date to update you all--when I have determined if I am able to add an extra day-post cruise to do New Forest!

I am so grateful for your kindness and expertise.

Martha

Martha,

a few hundred yards from the cathederal is "King Arthurs Round Table" and the 13th century hall it's in, which might be worth a 30 minute walking detour. It will also give you the chance to walk through the center of Winchester:

http://www.hants.gov.uk/greathall/

It's the type of thing that if you find out after you return home, you might think "I wish I'd known that was only a couple of hundred yards away ......."

Jeff

Hi Martha,

For what it's worth (and as a local), I think your final choice is excellent and you will have a super time. A good mix of sights, and a good pub lunch. What could be better (don't forget to sample the real ale at the Wykeham!)

Terry

• 1 month later...
He wasn't that good. Old Sarum is a Saxon ruin and is 5000 years old - not 2000 years old. But what is 3000 years between friends.

Hmmmm......I'm a YANK but I'm pretty sure the Angles and Saxons didn't invade England until the 5th and 6th centuries. ;)

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd chime back in to let you all know how my transfer from London to Southampton went on Tuesday, August 21st. It WAS more than just a ride.

Via email I worked with a great gal named Sheelagh from Chauffeurlink (.co.uk). One of their drivers, Terry, and she timed it and came up with an itinerary which Terry (who turned out to be our driver) further tweeked along the way.

A couple from My hometown who coincidentially were at the same hotel & on same cruise joined me.

We left the hotel (Chauncery Court in High Holborn) at 7:15am. Not that much traffic, uneventful ride out of London. Only thing of note to see was a large Fuller (sp?) Beer facility and also got a picture of Twickenham Stadium for my friend's son who played for Brown University here in US & abroad.

We were in Alton pretty early & like Spongerob suggested, Jane Austen's House was not open yet. But as we were exploring, taking pix of house and garden, a man appeared and opened up the house for us & gave us a tour. (Sheelagh from Chaffeulink had called & had them look for us as we'd likely be there well before opening!) I loved that. Seeing her handwritten work, where she wrote & the guide selected for me what he thought was the best biography of her life.

The couple with me had asked if we could please see Stonehenge. I wasn't too interested.....but the driver then hit the GPS & we careened down 1 car width lanes, past fields, through woods, uphill & downhill, past clusters of beautiful thatched cottages (we lost count at about 20+) & finally a bit of motorway. We walked about 1/2 way around Stonehenge, listened to a tape....it was very windy & cold there, hardly anybody was there. And left.

Headed back to Winchester & arrived about 15 minutes before Chauffuerlink had made our lunch reservations at the Wykeham Arms so we drove around, the pretty area & got our bearings. What a great place for lunch. Not full at all when we got there...not a seat in the house by the time we left. Someone here said I was to have a good ale. Well, I think Wykeham Arms is connected to Fuller. They brought 4 tasters for us to try, all Fuller. I chose a pale "girlie" one called London Pride which I quite liked. Good food, casual, neat antique school desks for some tables, not rushed.

After lunch, we walked to Winchester Cathedral. An organ concert was in progress which we enjoyed. We saw Jane Austen's Grave which curiously did not mention her writing.......and a later plaque obviously erected to correct that. Interesting. Walked where Keats wrote 'Ode to Autumn.' I bought a

wonderful antque map of Hampshire dated 1720 from Kingsgate Books & Antiquarian Prints located next to the cathedral. Anybody know if they are reputable? We still weren't pressed for time......so, yes...we went to take a picture of the Round Table reproduction.The building, like many in Hampshire was so unique. We took some close ups.....but never learned what the black stone that had a quartz-like appearance was that is interspersed in the concrete stonework on bldgs, walls, etc was. SOOOO prevelant in Hampshire...I wonder if anyone here knows if it, or the architecture, has a name and if it is unique to Hampshire?

Had found a small wine shop/grocery across from Wykeham Arms which our driver took us back to before we left and we got our wine, cheese & crackers for the ship. We arrived at the ship about 3:45pm. Walked on.

Clouds, sun. Lovely day. Well worth a 7:15 am start out of London.

Thanks to all who contributed here. The day sure beat sitting at the Chauncery Court waiting for the ship's motor coach to go to Southampton!

Martha

Thanks for following up and I'm glad you had an enjoyable day. We did the same thing in reverse after disembarking. We visited Old Sarum and Stonehenge (you we're lucky, the crowds were terrible when we visited), and had our final pub lunch before heading to Heathrow.

That blackish looking stone is probably flint.

• 4 years later...

We are also driving from London to Southampton, but we arrive on the 6th., at 10:00 a.m., so we will have a leisurely drive to the sights that Jeff suggests. BTW, your suggestions are so appreciated.

We will need a hotel for the night of the 6th. Jeff, Martha or anyone, can you suggest a nice Inn?

This is our second cruise on Princess. We've been on several other lines as well. I prefer tours that are arranged privately. They are a much better value for the money.

We will look forward to meeting all of you at the meet and greet.

If you want the reassurance of following the pack to the normal suspects then Winchester, Salisbury and Stonehenge is of course safe.

Personally I'd suggest you miss them all and spend an hour or two in the New Forest. Beaulieu and Bucklers Hard are in the New Forest.

http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/abouttheforest.html

I'd head first for Beaulieu

http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

Wander around Palace House and then have a look at the worlds best car collection .......... and then have a pint of beer in a great English pub at Bucklers Hard (a mile away from Beaulieu) and see a small unspoilt village where they built 50 of Nelson's wooden war ships from the 1740's. It has a wonderful peaceful unforgettable atmosphere as there's no traffic and a feeling of real history. Park in the Master Builders Hotel car park and wander through the hotel to the bar before having a wander around the village. It's also a great place for lunch.

http://www.bucklershard.co.uk/

I think you'd remember these things much more and longer than the well trodden tourist traps. This is where I take my visitor friends and all say that they wouldn't have missed it for anything.

Jeff

I hate to say this, but Beaulieu looks a bit like Disneyland to me. LOL

I hate to say this, but Beaulieu looks a bit like Disneyland to me. LOL

Nope, mostly focused on the excellent motoring museum. I spent many many many hours there as a kid (but then I got in free because my mom worked there)

Archived