Bear watching in early September??

boneslides

We have pretty much decided that we will do a whale watching tour and now I am trying to talk my hubby into a bear adventure, too. I understand that Island Wings does a tour to Traitors Cove Bear Watch Observatory from Aug 15- Sept 30. We are only in port from 7:00 to 1:00 and the tour is 3 hours. Never having been on a cruise before, does this timeframe sound doable?? Also, has anyone done this tour at this time of year? Since it is a little pricey (for us anyway!!), I wanted to be sure it was worth the investment (I understand that no-one can guarantee the bears will be where we want them to be!!). Anyone have any other suggestions? We will be in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. Thanks for your input. I have really learned alot on these boards!!

I'm signed up with Island Wings for a bear trip to Traitor's Cove in late August, and had the exact same concerns! Michelle told me that the Island Wings dock is only 5 minutes from the cruise ship, so there would be no issues at all getting back to the ship on time ....

Looking forward to seeing some bears in Ketchikan!

Hi guys we used Michelle last September - we were also only in port around 7-1pm I have cut and pasted my post to a similar question recently :

"we were there on 4th September last year and went with Michelle from Island Wings to Traitors Cove - I have to say it was the absolute highlight of our b2b (although dog sledding was a close second) we were lucky enough to spend several hours watching numerous bears (I think our guide Matt said we saw 8/9) catching salmon! whilst no guarantees I know we were very lucky...."

Traitors Cove is your only option for bears if you are cruiseonly. Peak in your timeframe. :) NO concerns what so ever going with Island Wings- AS LONG as you have fully disclosed your ship and docking schedule. Go with their recommendation for timing.

Archived