What to do in LA for one day after cruise

jenny368

Does anyone have any suggestions for something a family of 4 (myself, husband and two daughters ages 11 and 17) can do in and around LA for one day after our cruise. We are spending 1 night after our cruise at the Comfort Suites at LAX. Our flight doesn't leave until Monday morning. We will have all day to kill on Sunday when we get back from our Vision cruise. We can't check into our hotel until 3 p.m. so we are going to rent a car and I am looking for ideas on things to do. We are already doing the LA City Tour and Movie Stars Home Tour on the 1 day precruise. I have looked at Catalina Island and Universal Studios and Knott's Berry Farm but all of those options will be kind of pricey just for the day. Any suggestions?

Since you will have a car you could take the drive north to Malibu along PCH. If you choose that, Neptune's Net is an entertaining place to stop for lunch and people watch. If you want to head south consider Long Beach. There is the Aquariun of the Pacfic, The Queen Mary, and a number of Museums in or near downtown.

There are far more informative people to help you with this on here, but I'd like to share with you what we liked best on our trip with an 11 year old. Of course, Universal went down well, but my opinion was that it was better sightseeing for real. We stayed at the Hollywood Rennaissance. Loved tripping round Beverly Hlls in our hired convertable. A great day out was when we followed CJW's detailed instructions (find this on an earlier thread started by CJW) on getting as close as possible to the Hollywood sign. (photos which adorn the 11 year olds bedroom) and then drove the Mulholland Scenic ROad from close to the sign all the way past fantastic photo stops, beautiful scenery, houses etc to end up driving through a canyon leading down to Malibu Beach, ending up watching the sunset and eating an amazing seafood platter at a rustic type restaurant right on the beach at Paradise Cove (just down PCH from Malibu Beach) It's surprising how much you can do in one day and especially on the quieter roads. We have memories for a lifetime....enjoy! Sue.

There are far more informative people to help you with this on here, but I'd like to share with you what we liked best on our trip with an 11 year old. Of course, Universal went down well, but my opinion was that it was better sightseeing for real. We stayed at the Hollywood Rennaissance. Loved tripping round Beverly Hlls in our hired convertable. A great day out was when we followed CJW's detailed instructions (find this on an earlier thread started by CJW) on getting as close as possible to the Hollywood sign. (photos which adorn the 11 year olds bedroom) and then drove the Mulholland Scenic ROad from close to the sign all the way past fantastic photo stops, beautiful scenery, houses etc to end up driving through a canyon leading down to Malibu Beach, ending up watching the sunset and eating an amazing seafood platter at a rustic type restaurant right on the beach at Paradise Cove (just down PCH from Malibu Beach) It's surprising how much you can do in one day and especially on the quieter roads. We have memories for a lifetime....enjoy! Sue.

Oh my gosh!

Thank you so much!

It's nice to hear that the various posters on this board are really helping people!

It would be great if you (whenever you have time) could do a review/report of your trip in LA, so people could search it in the future, and hear what was good or important for people from the UK!

We would all appreciate that (in advance) if you could do that at some point tourer! (in your own separate thread - you know report/review LA Hollywood, dates, etc.);)

Other than that here's the Hollywood sign direction thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=404640

Also to the OP:

Does anyone have any suggestions for something a family of 4 (myself, husband and two daughters ages 11 and 17) can do in and around LA for one day after our cruise.

Actually there is SO much to do...

If you are still checking this thread, (and based on what tourer said they enjoyed), if there were any specific movies or TV shows that your kids, or you or husband like, I could recommend places to see those locations, do a day/tour of those...

The OC? Baywatch? Uhmm Gone with the Wind? Grease?

I don't know, give me a few options, and I can totally help you out...

CJW

How about Warner Brothers studios? We did that and had a great time. You have to go to their website and preorder tickets which makes it nice because they limit how many people are on your tour. When we went it was the last year of Everybody Loves Raymond and while they were taking us into one of the other sets we asked if we could go in there, our guide was very accomodating and took us in there. (what I'm saying is that you just aren't herded through) Three young men on our tour wanted to see Tim Burtons parking spot and we backtracked so they could jump out and take a picture.

Visiting the beaches is wonderful too and they are very close to the airport - Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, Manhattan Beach.....

How about Warner Brothers studios? We did that and had a great time. You have to go to their website and preorder tickets which makes it nice because they limit how many people are on your tour. When we went it was the last year of Everybody Loves Raymond and while they were taking us into one of the other sets we asked if we could go in there, our guide was very accomodating and took us in there. (what I'm saying is that you just aren't herded through) Three young men on our tour wanted to see Tim Burtons parking spot and we backtracked so they could jump out and take a picture.

Visiting the beaches is wonderful too and they are very close to the airport - Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach, Manhattan Beach.....

CJW: My oldest daughter (17) just loves the OC. What is there to tour?

Okay, so I did a whole tour outline in a separate thread (in honor of my friend here SandyToes), so here's the link to that:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=500138

Check it out, maybe show your daughter and go through it, and see what if anything would be fun or interesting for you all...

Hope this helps in some way...

CJW

Archived