Juneau Shore Excursions - Need Help!

scottam

Wow. I'm so confused, I don't even know how to construct this message!

We're on Coral Princess NB on May 21. I've done the research and know which Juneau excursions interest DH and I, but now need help in narrowing them down and making a final decision.

We have time for 2 tours.

So, here's the lineup:

*Heli-hiking - We want to do this. Should it be here or Skagway?

*Whale Watching - Planning on booking with Harv and Marv.

*Hike/Boat Excursion - There is a tour that involves some hiking and some time on a small boat, such as Princess' Whales and Rainforest Trails, for maximum photo opportunity. The concern is the boat portion would closly duplicate the whale watching tour.

*Hiking near Mendenhall glacier - Also sounds interesting.

Obviously, I have to eliminate a couple of things. If heli-hiking in Skagway is just as great as Juneau, then I think we'd do a whale watching tour and then do some hiking near Mendenhall.

If heli-hiking in Juneau is way better than Skagway, the decision is harder. Any input/opinions/comments will help me decide and are most appreciated.

Thank you everyone. I've learned a lot by reading these message boards already!

IF you truely want an extensive glacier treking, then Northstar offers the most out of Juneau. All other hikes are short compared to their specific treking tours.

All of Alaska is a "photo opportunity", I wouldn't consider that type of tour that short changes the whale watch. Hiking is everywhere in Alaska. :)

For clairfication- with your "hiking" priority, you might want to consider Above and Beyond's glacier trek of the west side of Mendenhall http://www.beyondak.com/daytrips.html

The east side where the visitor center is, is so so for trails and no glacier access, mostly woods. actually little view of the glacier except from the short photo trail.

Hi BQ,

I'm not sure sure we're up for a full blown glacier trek - after seeing the glacier from the air, we just want the chance to go on a short hike/walk on it. The tour like what Temsco offers would be fine.

I guess what I need help deciding at this point is whether to do this tour in Skagway or Juneau. Knowing that will help plan the other tours we do, not only in Juneau but also Skagway.

Thanks!

Let me explain something ... I thought THE only way to get ON the glacier for hiking, was via helicopter. I didn't know you could get there by foot, but since my last posting I checked out the wesite link that BQ provided for Above and Beyond Alaska. I think it's the perfect fit for us - no helicopter needed for glacier hiking! Thanks BQ!

With their Ocean to Ice Adventure, we'll be able to hike through the rainforest and on the glacier (without the helicopter), and combine that with a whale watching tour - all through this one company. So not only are we getting excatly what we wanted, but we're saving money 'cause we aren't paying for the heli portion of the glacier hike.

I read that they hire out the water portion of this tour. Is anyone familiar with the company that they use? I believe that it's Gastineau Guiding, but that's a bit of an assumption based on an article that they linked from their website.

Has anyone done the Ocean to Ice Adventure combo tour with Above and Beyond? I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

Thanks again BQ for the link. I have e-mailed them with some questions.

...I read that they hire out the water portion of this tour. Is anyone familiar with the company that they use? I believe that it's Gastineau Guiding, but that's a bit of an assumption based on an article that they linked from their website......

I'm not as familiar with the company that operates the water portion as I am with the boats they use... The Voyager, Beach Comber and Navigator are what they used last season. Plenty of window space (or vinyl canopy if you're on the older boat) for viewing, rows of bench seats, and plenty of room for everyone. You're not getting on a luxury yacht, but the boats are very nice and functional for whale watching and shuttling people to/from the local beaches.

This is definately the tour _I_ would take if I didn't already have good local access to the surrounding area.

Have fun!

-Case

Hi Case,

I don't care (or really want) luxury on a whale watching tour. I want a relaxing and informative tour, not what I visualize on a tour booked through the cruise line - hoards of people squeezed onto a large boat where your view of the scenery is over the top of everyone's heads.

Call me cynical, but I've been on other tours that are a bit like that (not whale watching), and it's not fun. :(

Hi Case,

I don't care (or really want) luxury on a whale watching tour. I want a relaxing and informative tour, not what I visualize on a tour booked through the cruise line - hoards of people squeezed onto a large boat where your view of the scenery is over the top of everyone's heads.

Call me cynical, but I've been on other tours that are a bit like that (not whale watching), and it's not fun. :(

The water portion is contracted out to boats that were built especially for this purpose. I don't want to make it sound like it's a crowded tour by any means. I've seen as few as 10-12 and as many as 25 (ish) on each of those boats. They fall into what I consider to be a "medium boat" category, along with Orca Enterprises, Dolphin Jet Tours, etc... Of course, even a small or medium sized boat can be "crowded" depending on design, % of capacity, etc...!

Some people like (and even need) the security or stability of a ship's tour, and some would much rather have a small boat, private, custom tour. Above & Beyond Alaska's tours are a nice compromise between the two.

No tour is right for everyone! Be well educated and informed about your options, and most of all...have fun!

-Case

I believe Case is mistaken on the company. Above and Beyond operates a 24 - 26 foot aluminum boat that can carry 6 passengers. Gastineau Guiding is a separate company. They may work together, I don't know for sure, but they are separate companies.

Capt. Larry

I believe Case is mistaken on the company. Above and Beyond operates a 24 - 26 foot aluminum boat that can carry 6 passengers. Gastineau Guiding is a separate company. They may work together, I don't know for sure, but they are separate companies.

Capt. Larry

Gee Larry, thanks for catching my mental mix-up! I had taken a group of 8 on one of Above & Beyond's tours last season, and they put us on Gastineau Guiding's boat (Navigator) for the water portion. I guess they do work together, at least when necessary to accomodate larger groups. Kinda like the group of 8 I referred to Orca Enterprises 2 weeks ago.

Again, I appreciate your watchful eye and prompt corrections. We all make mistakes from time to time, and it's great to know the folks reading these boards won't ever need to rely solely on the information found here. As long as they've got locals like you and me offering help, it's a wonder anyone EVER has a less-than-perfect experience in Alaska!

-Case

I heard from Above and Beyond and here's what they said about the boat for the whale watching portion of the tour. "We own a 26 foot vessel that carrys a maximum of six people. You definitely won't be packed in with lots of people!"

I think I'm going to book with them. Seems like the perfect fit for us. I appreciate everyone's help and input on this. It's especially nice to know they're a good company to do business with.

I would still love to hear from anyone who has toured with this company to find out what you thought of their glacier hiking/whale watching excursion. Thanks again. I couldn't cruise without these boards!

Archived