Star Princess - Just Back

NJGRANNY

We got back from our Star Princess cruise today. What a great time we had. The ship is absolutely beautiful, the food was great, the cabin attendant was wonderful and all the waiters and waitresses we encountered were very capable and hard-working.

We enjoy the any time dining and the opportunity to meet other travelers when sharing tables. One night we were too tired (Tulum excursion) to go to dinner, so we ate in the buffet. The meal there was excellent, too.

This was our 20th cruise. We've traveled Princess before a couple of years ago on a back-to-back.

The only minor complaint is that the ship is a little hard to "figure" out. It took us a few days.

We did the Bamboo Beach Break in Jamaica and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was free drinks and tapas all day long and the server was extremely attentive. They also have the servers doing line dances and some other dance type entertainment. A really nice day. Depending on which pier you dock at you can walk there. We were taken in a van since our pier was a little further.

We also enjoyed the excursion to Tulum, but it was tiring. It's worthwhile to see the ruins, however.

I also really liked the configuration of the inside cabin we had. It was different than any other inside cabin we've had. I don't know how to describe the configuration of the bathroom and closet, but it gives you dressing privacy and is roomy. There was plenty of closet and drawer space.

We couldn't tender into their private island due to rough seas. This happens so much on cruise lines that I often wonder why they bother with the private islands.

This was a great cruise experience.

Thanks for updating us about your time on the Star. One question, were you in Montego Bay or Ochos Rios in Jamaica?

You said minor complaint about figuring out the ship. What was difficult? We are on the Star end of April and would like to know what you found difficult. Thanks. I'm glad you had a great time!

To concur with this post, we (6) just got off the Princess Star. (Jan 27-Feb 3 07). It was out first exp with Princess, and to date, we enjoyed both the ship and line, surprisingly finding it to be a superiour exp than that of similar class ships on both HAL n X.

Easy 10 min embark, easy 15 min dembark. Very modern ship. Never encountered a long line, with the exception of coming back on tenders in Cayman Islands. That's pretty amazing on a large ship of 2600 Pax...

Food equal to that of X n HAL, with a much wider selection, (you have a choice of 9 dinner entree's) a much younger clientale than HAL, a much more modern n interesting laid out ship than anything we've been on X.

True, because of the odd layouts, with regard to the Spa, Disco, Amalfi dining room, etc, it takes a while to figure out which elevator goes to which floors and which do not.

Also, dining room service is still a notch ahead on HAL/X, because they supply a sommellier and extra food service staff, which allows the 2 waiters to provide a more personal exp.

On the other hand, being able to open up doors between rooms on the balcony, the amazing sun exposure on the caribe balcony's, the HUGE Penthouse balcony midship, pools n hot tubs open all night, give the Star and Princess a truly winning ship, IMO superior than say, Millie/Connie n Zuiderdam/Oosterdam.

We will surley sail both Princess, and the Star again. I think anyone who is taking this cruise/ship over the next couple of months will have a truly wonderful exp...

jc

toronto

Princ Star Jan 27th

We were in Ocho Rios in Jamaica. As far as figuring out the ship, there were just some odd configurations. Certain elevators go to different floors, etc. Find your pocket guide in your cabin and you should be fine.

I forgot to mention before, too, how many pools there are on the Star. I counted five plus the kids pool. There's one in the spa, but can be reached from the floor above without going through the spa, there are two on deck 14 - one outside, one indoor. There is one on deck 12 aft. You can actually get your food in the buffet, walk aft and sit outside on deck 14 overlooking the pool and the stern of the ship. There is also a very small pool near the kiddy pool.

NJGRANNY and Wilcoam...Thankyou for posting your reviews so quickly. We sail on the Star Feb.24th and after hearing your great reviews, I wish it was tomorrow. This will be our first cruise with Princess, having only eversailed the past few years with X. Glad to hear how great Princess is.

What were the activites like? I have heard that they have a scholarship at sea program that offers seminars etc. Wow, I can't believe all of the pools. Thanks again.

Peace, Anna:)

Thanks for posting such a positive review, this is my first cruise and cant wait, what with all the strike worry over our fights (BA) which is now sorted and with the fire on the Star last year (we were due to travel a week after event but trip was cancelled), this cruise is a long time coming. :o

Thank you for your post.

I have sailed the Grand class many times and I still think it has a very strange layout that doesn't make sense.

We also did the Bamboo beach club (in December when on the Star) and we also docked away so we needed the van transfer also.

Glad you had a good time!

I know you didn't go ashore in Grand Cayman, but do recall any time change between the ship & island, anyhting in the patters, etc. We are in Cayman May 1st and we arrive at 7. We booked a private excursion and they say meet at 9:30. I am just curious if ship time will be the same. Thanks

We join the Star next Saturday (10th Feb).

It is great to read your recent reviews. We are really looking forward to our cruise.

Could you tell me if there is a themed night at all? I think I may have read something about a Tropical island night?

Thanks

I think they had one on the deck one evening. Hubby and I don't stay up late. We watch the show and then usually go to bed (I go play slots for awhile first.) I have to say the slots were not kind to me, but I had lots of fun playing and was able to play awhile on my $$$$.

I know you didn't go ashore in Grand Cayman, but do recall any time change between the ship & island, anyhting in the patters, etc. We are in Cayman May 1st and we arrive at 7. We booked a private excursion and they say meet at 9:30. I am just curious if ship time will be the same. Thanks

No time change in Grand Cayman. We arrived there at 7am. You get tender tickets in the Explorer's Lounge from 7am on. We got ours about 7:30 and walked right on the tender. We did not have to wait at all. We booked a private excursion also and had to be there at 9:15. It was just a 2 block walk from the pier. We were about 30 minutes early. Ship sponsored excursions get the first tenders. But there was no one in line when we picked ours up. Right after we got on the tender, a large number of Princess excursions people got on. Timing is everything. You cannot pick up tender tickets til your entire party is there. Just go early and you will have plenty of time.

No time change in Grand Cayman. We arrived there at 7am. You get tender tickets in the Explorer's Lounge from 7am on. We got ours about 7:30 and walked right on the tender. We did not have to wait at all. We booked a private excursion also and had to be there at 9:15. It was just a 2 block walk from the pier. We were about 30 minutes early. Ship sponsored excursions get the first tenders. But there was no one in line when we picked ours up. Right after we got on the tender, a large number of Princess excursions people got on. Timing is everything. You cannot pick up tender tickets til your entire party is there. Just go early and you will have plenty of time.

Thanks. I'm just asking because Eastern Time will change in March and not sure if the time will be different or the same in Cayman. All I want to know when we get there at 7 if it'll be 7 on the island or 6. Thanks again. Since this is my first Caribbean cruise I wasn't sure if the ship changes time with where they go like Alaska. In Alaska I know it stated in the patters when to change clocks to adjust times.

Thanks. I'm just asking because Eastern Time will change in March and not sure if the time will be different or the same in Cayman. All I want to know when we get there at 7 if it'll be 7 on the island or 6. Thanks again. Since this is my first Caribbean cruise I wasn't sure if the ship changes time with where they go like Alaska. In Alaska I know it stated in the patters when to change clocks to adjust times.

They normally do the same thing in the Caribbean.

Time changes are listed in the Patter. There is a time change on this cruise and it occurs the night after Grand Cayman stop. Clocks were set back one hour between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning on our cruise last week. And the very next night following the Cozumel port, the ship's clock was set forward one hour. Island times matched the ship's time.

Archived