Formal Night - Jacket/Suit Coat Required?

mncruiser64

As the hardworking crew take the time and effort to dress formally on Formal Night, it seems a little disrespectful not to at least make the effort to do likewise. :confused:

If you are invited to a wedding or a party that "REQUESTS" you to wear formal clothes or a jacket, would you show up with just a shirt and tie, no jacket at all?

Obviously you can wear whatever makes you happy, it's your vacation and yes, you paid the price to cruise. Just don't be upset, shocked or disappointed if you are requested to eat in another venue that evening or return to your cabin and dress according to your CRUISE LINES guidelines. If you have seen their guidelines and are still asking the question, then you probably suspect that something just isn't correct about about the idea of Formal means "no jacket".

The reason the OP didn't say which cruiseline they will be on is because she posted her question on the Carnival board and it was then moved here. I understand the reasoning behind the move, but in this case it really only applies to Carnival because other lines have different policies.

On all of the Carnival cruises we've been on, the majority of the men wear jackets on formal night, but there are always several who do not. Again, I will say that I have never seen anyone on Carnival without a jacket turned away from the dining room.

Also the Carnival Capers now use the word "Required". (as of Dec 06)
Perhaps on some Carnival ships, but definitely not on the 12/10/06 Carnival Legend cruise. From the Capers on both formal nights -- "Suggested attire for this evening is "Formal" Please, no shorts to be worn at dinner." Yes, it's a shame they have to even say no shorts on formal nights, but that is exactly what it says.

My husband and sons wear dark suits on formal nights and I wear a formal evening dress. We enjoy dressing up (ok, I enjoy it, they tolerate it), but I realize not everyone wants to dress up to that degree. I just want to give the OP as honest an answer as possible, because they will see varying degrees of dress on formal nights on Carnival -- no matter what anyone here tells them.

Wow! I never thought I would ask a question that brought up such a touchy subject! I was just asking a simple question because we are trying to pack light and my husband was trying to avoid packing the jacket.

For those of you that are soooo concerned or stressed out over this topic, he'll either bring the jacket or maybe we'll try a different venue for that evening. We're going to have fun and relax not worry about what we are wearing for dinner.

Anyway, for those of you wondering, yes we are sailing on Carnival (the Elation).

Thanks to all of you that tried to provide a straight response to my question.

For those of you that are soooo concerned or stressed out over this topic, he'll either bring the jacket or maybe we'll try a different venue for that evening. We're going to have fun and relax not worry about what we are wearing for dinner.

Anyway, for those of you wondering, yes we are sailing on Carnival (the Elation).

Thanks to all of you that tried to provide a straight response to my question.

As you can see there are no straight answers. Many of us consider the cruise lines' published guide lines as the standard, others simply do not care . You have seen the range of opinions expressed here.

Truly, if you do not care about what you are wearing to dinner, why ask the question?

Dinner is an event like the shows and other things on the schedule. Its just a dressup thing.:)

Honestly, I have not done a show in many, many years nor do I glance at the schedule other to check the times for live music and fitness classes.

I look forward to a very nice dinner and perhaps some dancing afterwards or a stroll on the deck or after dinner drink on my balcony. For me, dinner is the main event of the evening:).

The people who pick a vacation that they know what is expected of them....and then try and break the rules.

Formal means formal. Just the fact that the OP had to ask this question should say something to everyone.

If it was 'yellow' night and you had to wear yellow to eat in the main diningroom..I'm sure there would be someone who would say I'm going to wear BLUE, because I don't like yellow and I don't have to wear it ( immature response ), or those that would say, well we don't have, or we don't like yellow....So we'll just follow the rules and eat at the ALTERNATIVE DINING VENUES that the cruiseline has set up for those of us that don't want to attend or comply with.

As for Mike: "Well I think it is quite rude to speculate that someone is "disrespectful" or "tacky" just because they do not dress in a manner that is pleasing to you! "

The dress cde is not written by the individual cruisers. It is written by the cruiseline. So yes, it would be disrespect full or tacky to the ship and staff if you did not comply, it would also be disrespectful to those who do comply....Its called etiquette.

Dave:eek:

I believe the OP said that she was going to follow the "rules" (which aren't rules on RCI, they are "suggested guidelines," which is redundant and wishy-washy), and either DH will wear the jacket or they'll eat someplace else on formal night.

So maybe we should just wish her happy sailing and have done with it?

As for Mike: "Well I think it is quite rude to speculate that someone is "disrespectful" or "tacky" just because they do not dress in a manner that is pleasing to you! "

The dress cde is not written by the individual cruisers. It is written by the cruiseline. So yes, it would be disrespect full or tacky to the ship and staff if you did not comply, it would also be disrespectful to those who do comply....Its called etiquette.

Your absolutely right... the cruise line makes the rules, they are also the ones that allow the rules to be bent. So if they allow it, then by your statement it is ok. Also, if they allow it, and it is their cruise ship, their dining room... then what place does anyone else have to say to the contrary?

As far as my complying.. well I never EVER said I didn't wear a dark suit. I wear it because I like formal night, not because I feel obligated to. Please don't lump me into a "under dressed" category, just because I told the OP that they would be ok, without a jacket.

What I did say was that the OP would get by without a jacket, and that the tie, button down shirt, and slacks would be ok. Please tell me one time on Carnival or Royal Caribbean that a passenger was turned away from the dining room for wearing just that... Slacks, button down shirt, tie.. on formal night. I doubt it has happened.

-Mike

"Please tell me one time on Carnival or Royal Caribbean that a passenger was turned away from the dining room for wearing just that... Slacks, button down shirt, tie.. on formal night"

I've never seen it happen, of course I stopped cruising Carnival about when Kathy Lee stopped doing the commercials...and as for Royal...after this last cruise, which was EXTREMELY fun by the way, the dress code was non existant and baseball caps, t-shirts, jeans and sunglasses were everywhere on 'formal' night. I felt out of place in my dinner jacket.

So I'll be sticking with Celebrity where my dinner jacket and tux are not only welcome, but encouraged.

BTW: I wasn't flaming you ...I was just addressing the fact that when someone asks a question as the OP instead of promoting bad behavior we should promote good behavior.....for me, for you, and for everyone else on these boards. however I respect your opinion.

Your absolutely right... the cruise line makes the rules, they are also the ones that allow the rules to be bent. So if they allow it, then by your statement it is ok. Also, if they allow it, and it is their cruise ship, their dining room... then what place does anyone else have to say to the contrary?

..snip.

-Mike

So we only follow rules that are actively enforced?

Nah...

Cheers

Mark

I believe the OP said that she was going to follow the "rules" (which aren't rules on RCI, they are "suggested guidelines," which is redundant and wishy-washy), and either DH will wear the jacket or they'll eat someplace else on formal night.

Same thing with Carnival. The Capers say "suggested attire", so it's rather difficult for me to chastise someone for not wanting to follow the "rules" when I can't determine whether the rules actually exist in the first place. ;) And I'm not saying the OP doesn't want to follow the rules! They merely asked for clarification.

[quote name='bububr']"Please tell me one time on Carnival or Royal Caribbean that a passenger was turned away from the dining room for wearing just that... Slacks, button down shirt, tie.. on formal night"

I've never seen it happen, of course I stopped cruising Carnival about when Kathy Lee stopped doing the commercials...and as for Royal...after this last cruise, which was EXTREMELY fun by the way, the dress code was non existant and baseball caps, t-shirts, jeans and sunglasses were everywhere on 'formal' night. I felt out of place in my dinner jacket.

So I'll be sticking with Celebrity where my dinner jacket and tux are not only welcome, but encouraged.

BTW: I wasn't flaming you ...I was just addressing the fact that when someone asks a question as the OP instead of promoting bad behavior we should promote good behavior.....for me, for you, and for everyone else on these boards. however I respect your opinion.

Dave:eek:[/quote]

Your right Dave, Baseball caps, t-shirts, jeans and sunglasses are inappropriate. I would never say anything to anyone about them, but I wouldn't choose to wear them. I also do not spend much time letting someone else's choices affect me.

Another thing you are right about is not promoting bad behavior. I honestly do not feel that I am promoting bad behavior by saying that you will get by without a jacket. We are talking about slacks, tie & button down shirt. Not shorts, t-shirts & sunglasses. Certainly I agree, this is not formal ( by my standards, as everyone's will differ ) but it also is not buffet casual. :D

-Mike

Archived