Age requirement, strict?

knitdiva

We are sailing on Navigator of the seas next weekend. I know that has been asked and answered before but I can't find the answer in the boards.

My son who is fully potty trained, attends day care all week long will turn 3 right after our cruise! The RCL website says the child has to be 3 before the cruise to attends the kids program. Do they make exceptions? I don't think they do so I am cruising with a whole group of people so I can get a few hours of me time during his naps. His father would never allow in cabin babysitting with a complete stranger. Besides, unless my son is asleep, we can't keep him in the cabin; he has to move around. Usually we feed him early then take him on the stroller and by the time our dinner seating comes he is asleep in the stroller. The problem: he is now too big for the stroller! Wait until you see a cute toddler in a suit and tie with his feet dragging while he is seating in the stroller. That is going to be a cute picture.

So exceptions or not?

How do I convince my husband to go for in cabin babysitting for one dinner? He would probably take the baby monitor!

No matter what, this cruise will be great. My son is already telling everyone what he will eat on the cruise! (pancakes, macaroni, chicken nuggets, fries, soups (?), muffins.

Thanks for your input.

The cruiseline will know your son's birthdate so there's no fudging it. Sometimes if a child has a birthday during the cruise that puts them in the next age group, then they might give the parents a choice. But I can't see them budging on this. My child was 23 months on her first cruise and we figured Carnival wasn't going to allow her into the program.

We didn't have the option of in-cabin babysitting, but if your husband feels anxious, he's not going to enjoy himself, right? Maybe one of the adults you're cruising with will play babysitter for a few hours?

The minimum age limit for the kid's programs is generally tied to the line's liability insurance. Thus if your child is not three (in the case of RCCI) on the day of boarding, he would not be able to attend the kid's program.

Once the child meets the minimum age, most lines have some leeway to determine the placement of the child within the program, but if the child is not the minimum age at time of boarding, they cannot be admitted.

As to the in room sitting, your husband has a right to be somewhat concerned about "a complete stranger" sitting with his child. Here's what we've done with our niece while on a RCCI cruise - we divided up the care responsibilities among the four of us. Two evenings we did use a sitter - SIL made it VERY clear that we would be checking in periodically - and we did. Unlike going to a restaraunt in the city, the trip from the dining room to the cabin was short and very do-able. The sitter (an English speaking member of the housekeeping staff) was very good - she was a mother and grandmother, and sat and read all evening. One of us poked our head in a few times just to make certain everything was ok.

For all activities involving children and ages, the cruise line has a hard and fast rule that you're the age you are on the first day of the cruise, regardless if you have a birthday during the cruise. That goes for someone who might turn 21 during the cruise---they are considered 20 for the entire cruise---and for children and their entrance into the kid's program.

They do have group sitting in the kids area, after 10pm every night. RCCI also has in cabin sitting for infants and older at a fee of $8 per hour, depending on availability.

I read on the cc review of the Freedom o the Seas that group sitting was available for children age 1 and up for a fee. Is this true? What hours is it available? Is it available on the Explorer.

Group sitting is only available for those otherwise eligible for Adventure Ocean - that is, 3 and over AND potty trained. There is in-cabin sitting available for those 1 and over in the evening (I think until 2 a.m.). You need to arrange this yourself as soon as possible as it is done by off-duty crew members on a voluntary basis and there is no guarantee that anyone will be available. Fee is $8 per hour with a 2 hour minimum.

Archived