Anyone on Atkins?

stiffaney

Great! a flurry of activity! This is what keeps the Atkins thread alive & well!:p

Re: calcium - the 'newest' research suggests that calcium needs to be paired w/ vitamin D & magnesium to be most effective... I love, love, love my magnesium...since I have upped my intake, no more migraine headaches, leg cramps, etc...I even soak in Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) a couple of times a week...(note to Ms Jean who is upping her exercise.....;))

Remember, there are healthier alternatives to almost anything....lower carb, lower health risks! YAY!

Edited by cerabella
spelling

txmom, sounds like an excellent recipe. Does anyone know if you can refridgerate a cream soup and reheat? Like Cream of broccolli, which is mostly heavy cream and cheese? A friend says you can't, you have to eat it when made but who is gonna eat a whole batch? Cindy

Yes I reheat cream soups all the time. Just as good or even better reheated. Just heat on low.

Good Morning!

Great tips on the help with leg/foot cramps!

It's also fun to see how others are helping others!

Got to Week 2/day 2 on my program...stopped the Wed before Thanksgiving... was a very good Low carber that day!...went to Colorado and Bam! Saturday was down with ...the CRUD!! :(:mad: I've been fighting it since then! I cannot run and hold my head up when it is 5 lbs heavier and throbbing!!...ugh!!

So, I'll see the Dr today...get my act back together...and start all over again!....and use a soak as Cerabella suggests! :p

txmom...you've done great!! Your going to look great on your cruise...and I hope you'll come back and share some pictures!:) ....and your snack sounds like a great dish to take to all of our upcoming holiday parties!

Happy Monday....snif, cough, cough!

Last night was the first night without the dreaded "leg cramp dance" so thank you AzCruiseGurl, Rocknsoul for the suggestions about calcium and potassium. I took them before going to bed and it worked.

Cerabella; today I got some Epsom Salt and will soak plus take the calcium and potassium. It may be over-kill but a good night sleep is priceless!

Rae

Weigh in yesterday, down a pound and a half. I hit a very important milestone for me, 20 pounds lost! Took me since Aug. to lose but it is the first time in about 8 years that I was able to lose that much. Now on to next goal, to hit a 30 pound loss by my cruise the end of Feb.. That should be doable even with the holiday cheats. LOL. I am glad everyone has fixed the leg cramp issue, what a pain. (pardon the pun) Have a great week, Cindy

Good Morning!!

Rae:...yea!! a good nights sleep...we all need that!

AZgirl....I think that I'm getting better...just working with cough drops, hot tea and Tylenol today - but now my DH is down with it...ugh....

mamaboss...you are doing so great!! and great job with hanging in and seeing the results!

Better...but still coughing... :(

Jean, I am glad your feeling better. Sorry to hear about DH.

We all had it here about a month ago.

I made Cauliflower soup last night yummy yummy.

Wanted to share the recipe with you all. especially the sickies...

I eat it with protien on the side..

CAULIFLOWER BISQUE

1 small cauliflower, cut into small chunks, about 20 ounces after trimming

1 small onion, diced or leeks, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces

2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped

2 tablespoons butter

3 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup heavy cream

Salt and pepper, to taste

2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped *

In a 3-quart saucepan, sauté the onion or leek and celery in the butter until tender. Add the chopped cauliflower, a bit of salt and pepper and the broth; bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low; cover and simmer until the cauliflower is very tender, about 20-25 minutes. Use a stick blender to puree the soup until completely smooth and thick. Add the cream; mix well. Add salt and pepper, if needed. Stir in the parsley and serve.

Makes about 6 cups or 6 big servings

Can be frozen

* Do not use dried parsley.

Per Serving: 150 Calories; 12g Fat; 5g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

Weigh in yesterday, down a pound and a half. I hit a very important milestone for me, 20 pounds lost! Took me since Aug. to lose but it is the first time in about 8 years that I was able to lose that much. Now on to next goal, to hit a 30 pound loss by my cruise the end of Feb.. That should be doable even with the holiday cheats. LOL. I am glad everyone has fixed the leg cramp issue, what a pain. (pardon the pun) Have a great week, Cindy

Great job keep up the good work. It always feels SO good

to hit a goal.. ;)

Rae how's it going with the cramps or hopefully NO

cramps..

Sheri

I am glad your all feeling better, not a good time of year to be under the weather with so much to do! I have to go to my first party of the season tonight, with me luck! Friday is the second one. :eek: Hope I can keep enough control so I at least don't gain. Thanks for listening! Cindy

AZCruiseGurl - thanks for the yummy recipe...I will just have to get a stick blender...I have tried to blend 'hot' soups in my regular blender...man, what a hot mess!:p

I have some parsnips & turnips ready to cook & make a 'fake' mash potato, something I really miss sometimes! (Just like SFS's mock mash w/ cauliflower, only sub these guys - boil until tender, drain, add some butter, s&p to taste, a glob of sour cream, heavy cream, mash or beat to a pulp! Ha!)

May be just the thing, Ms Jean, if you are still under the weather! Hope you are still out & about w/ that great camera of yours! I am reveling in this pretty ETex fall - yellow, red, orange leaves galore - YAY! Plus the pansies, cabbage, kale that we grow annually ... do I love my job or what!?;):D

Hei1980...when I cruise, I am soooo good at breakfast & lunch that I will sometimes treat myself ( & by sometimes I mean every nite to Warm Chocolate Melting Cake on Carnival...I don't know the total carb count, but it is so worth it for me, just a splurge that I will walk off, snorkel off, whatever....that being said, sugar free rarely means low carb...however, cheese plates are also the bomb!

Welp, I'm cruisin' tomorrow!

I haven't gotten down as much as I wanted, but I'm an okay size. I've been exercising a lot, so I hope this is a very active cruise.

I've been sick, too, Jean...on & off since September. My brother the Dr. has me eating & drinking all kinds of antioxidant stuff--some with a little sugar in it, so I may be sacrificing weight loss for a bit longer.

See y'all in a week!

Hei1980...when I cruise, I am soooo good at breakfast & lunch that I will sometimes treat myself ( & by sometimes I mean every nite to Warm Chocolate Melting Cake on Carnival...I don't know the total carb count, but it is so worth it for me, just a splurge that I will walk off, snorkel off, whatever....that being said, sugar free rarely means low carb...however, cheese plates are also the bomb!

I’ m a thinking out loud now, could be wrong, but the sugar-free indulgence and cheese plate has to be better than the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake, or not, LOL.

Bon Voyage Lisa!!!! Have a terrific time! :D

Carnival Treats - My take on them is that I am way more active on my Cruises then when I'm at home..That's a Good Thing! For me...the WCMC is a special "I'm On A Cruise" treat. I'm kinda with Cerabella on this... If I'm good at Breakfast and Lunch and dinner time - I'm more of an Every other night on the WCMC treat, maybe. However....I do not drink so I do not have any of those sugars to trade off with either. And...really....It's ok to pass on dessert - sugar free - WCMC ... ! Dinner doesn't always mean it has to be topped off with a dessert. I tend to feel that we as foodie people (Food Network is to blame here (ha! Just Kidding) ) that if we don't have dessert then something is seriously lacking. :confused: For some dinners, that's true! But Every Night? Just a thought.

Mamaboss.....does it say anything on the label? I can't remember, but I do have 2 unopened syrups in my pantry, I can look a little later.... If it doesn't say for sure...I wouldn't worry about it.

Cerabella.... AND when DO I get to check out your pics of your colorful surroundings? :pTo be honest...since Thanksgiving...no pics of Anything! :eek: I was just super sick for about 2 weeks and today is the first time that I've really felt like I could hold my camera for very long...because I'm not coughing so much or holding tissue!! ...and the Hot Soup.......YUM!! Next week I want to get back on my challenge...but I think I'll walk for a week...just because I get to coughing just doing the stairs here at work!

It is so dry and warm here in the Southwest.......anyone like to shoot a 3 day snow storm our way - We'll Take IT!!!! :p:D

Carnival Treats - My take on them is that I am way more active on my Cruises then when I'm at home..That's a Good Thing! For me...the WCMC is a special "I'm On A Cruise" treat. I'm kinda with Cerabella on this... If I'm good at Breakfast and Lunch and dinner time - I'm more of an Every other night on the WCMC treat' date=' maybe. However....I do not drink so I do not have any of those sugars to trade off with either. And...really....It's ok to pass on dessert - sugar free - WCMC ... ! Dinner doesn't always mean it has to be topped off with a dessert. I tend to feel that we as foodie people (Food Network is to blame here (ha! Just Kidding) ) that if we don't have dessert then something is seriously lacking. :confused: For some dinners, that's true! But Every Night? Just a thought.[/font']

[/font]

It is a great thought!

I am not a big dessert eater, cheese, yes, so I will have a glass of wine and just be glad I am on a wonderful cruise. Going to be 80 years old on 02/03 and everyday I feel blessed.

OK, I do have to watch the pounds but isn't it wonderful to be in a country where we have to try not to eat too much, instead of so many countries where they wonder if they have enough food to eat?

cerabella The soup is very yummy..

The way I do mine is. I boil the cauliflower then in a separate pan I

saute onions and celery in butter. When the Cauliflower is done I drain

most of the water add the Chicken stock and I smash with potato

masher. So its a little chunky kinda like potatoes soup. Then I add the rest of the ingredients..

Sheri

CAULIFLOWER BISQUE

1 small cauliflower, cut into small chunks, about 20 ounces after trimming

1 small onion, diced or leeks, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces

2 tablespoons celery, finely chopped

2 tablespoons butter

3 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup heavy cream

Salt and pepper, to taste

2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped *

In a 3-quart saucepan, sauté the onion or leek and celery in the butter until tender. Add the chopped cauliflower, a bit of salt and pepper and the broth; bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low; cover and simmer until the cauliflower is very tender, about 20-25 minutes. Use a stick blender to puree the soup until completely smooth and thick. Add the cream; mix well. Add salt and pepper, if needed. Stir in the parsley and serve.

Makes about 6 cups or 6 big servings

Can be frozen

YUM! I thank you and DH thanks you.

I did Atkins a couple years ago and lost the weight fast. After a month of unsuccessful weight loss with Weight Watchers I am going to give Atkins another try, its just a lot easier for me. I was wondering if anyone out there is doing Atkins also and if so, do you have any quick ideas for breakfast. I am usually in a rush to get to work in the morning so I really don't have time to cook up a couple eggs or anything. Any recommendations???

I will sometimes boil extra eggs on the weekend for this or, you can also grab an Atkins shake in place of breakfast.

Hi all - hope you don't mind - but I am going to hop in here with you all!

I am not specifically on Atkins, I am living a Sugarbusters! lifestyle, but it is pretty close, so here I am!

I have lost 35 pounds in 6 weeks recently with another 100 to go! Our cruise is in Sept. so I have time on my side. But, I am not just losing for the cruise, DH and I plan to begin TTC our first baby soon after our cruise. So, I have lots of motivators going for me! Our cruise is kind of our last hurrah before going down the mommy/daddy road......so I want to make it our best vacation yet and be fit!

I exercise 4-5 times a week by walking on the treadmill for 30-45 mins. I am soon going to add in weight training to tone up those muscles! I have a ways to go - but I have a good start.......

Good luck to everyone!