Clever Decorating with the Tiles?

Celestial Traveler

Has anyone done anything clever with their tiles that they have amassed from previous cruises?

Also, does anyone have two extra Statendam tiles that I can buy? I am looking forward to getting tiles from the Oosterdam in March as it will be my second cruise with HAL, but I want tiles to celebrate my first HAL Sept 06 cruise too!

Celestial Traveler

Has anyone done anything clever with their tiles that they have amassed from previous cruises?

I don't know how clever it is, but I just use them as coasters. Have several of them on the living room tables and I always get comments on them. I just installed a home office about a month ago with a huge computer desk/workstation and used the remaining two I got on the Amsterdam last October on that desk (my cabinmate didn't want her tile so I got both). :)

My desk is so big, though, that I need at least one or two more. I'll get them on the Veendam this coming April.

Guess I'll start accumulating them after this cruise, though ... maybe eventually have enough to do a wall? I can only dream. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Tiles? :confused:

On your upcoming cruise, your first as a Mariner, you'll find (or should find) two "Delft style" tiles of the ship on your bed the night before the Mariner reception. If they're not there, ask your steward. Usually they are of the previous incarnation of the ship name (i.e., Noordam III when on the current IV) but in the case of the Oosterdam you're on #I, and so it will be for the current ship. They've changed some over the years, and if you're interested you can search on ebay and find quite a few offered.

Guess I'll start accumulating them after this cruise, though ... maybe eventually have enough to do a wall? I can only dream. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita - A wall! I will start working on my husband to cruise more with HAL now that I have a tangible goal!

( But Honey, I still have 4 ft left on this wall to tile!!)

Thanks jtl513 for your ebay tip, I will definately try that.

Linda

Oh cool, Thanks John! What a nice little perk. How big are the tiles? My first thought would be to make a tabletop out of them ... something for outside on the deck maybe.

My DMIL brought us back a tile from her Mexico cruise years ago, one of the ones made in a tile factory in Mexico. It's about 10 inches square or so. I gave it to a metal artist I know and asked her to make me a table frame for it so I could use it as a plant stand. The tile fits perfectly, and it's a great little table for me. Original art, and a nice souvie from DMIL. Maybe the HAL tiles could be utilized in a similar way?

How big are the tiles?

Just under 4"x4". Nine would make a pretty good size plant stand top. Besides e-bay (and other auction sites) we've seen them fairly often at neighborhood garage/yard sales, and for cheaper than on-line too. We've gotten a couple of the older style (non-ship, but other Dutch motifs like windmills, etc) that way. We have a small wall space that we are gradually filling with them and other items that we bought in Delft and elsewhere in the Netherlands a few years back.

I'm not certain that the tiles will represent previous ships of the same name anymore. I remember reading on these boards quite a while ago that there was going to be a change in '07.

The tile I received on the January Noordam sailing was of the head of the Statue of Liberty in front of a rather generic-looking ship. The words "Holland America Line" were printed across the bottom of the tile.

I'm not certain that the tiles will represent previous ships of the same name anymore. I remember reading on these boards quite a while ago that there was going to be a change in '07.

The tile I received on the January Noordam sailing was of the head of the Statue of Liberty in front of a rather generic-looking ship. The words "Holland America Line" were printed across the bottom of the tile.

Well ... just one more thing I wish they hadn't changed I guess!! :(

For what it's worth, sailorgirlseattle, here's a link to past series:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/mariner/marinerTegels.do

Archived