Photos of a couple

ladyjbd3155

This is just copied from what I posted on the cruise memorabilia board. Thought I would try here too :)

Hi all -

I'm taking my first cruise with my boyfriend later this year and I am so excited! I have been getting so many ideas for the scrapbook I plan to do afterwards. My question is, though, how do you all who travel as a couple get the photos you want of the two of you together? Do you just request random strangers to take your picture for you? I have no problem at all offering to take photos of others if I see they might be interested, but I always feel weird about asking people to do it for me. Almost all of our pictures are of one of us holding the camera out front and snapping in what we "think" is the right direction :)

I get asked a lot. I carry a camera most of the time, so people seem to think that I would be able to take a decent picture.:D

Like medic123, I usually ask if I see one of a couple taking a picture against a landmark or something.

Bottom line...most people are happy to take your picture if you ask, but pick someone carrying a camera, 'cause your more likely to get a good picture!

Dave

I think most people would be more than willing to take a photo for you. Whenever I've be asked, I was always happy to do it. You may also choose to use the "timer" function if your camera has one and purchase a "mini tri-pod" or a bean bag to rest your camera on. Focus the camera on your significant other allowing room in the frame for you. Press the shutter button and RUN to get into the picture. It's kinda fun! If you have a digital camera, you can always delete it!:p ;)

Vince

I usually find asking people to take your photo is a good way to end up with a photo of the two of you, you won't like. Sorry, but it seems every time our feet are cut off, we're way off center (not in an artistic way), or something like that. Agree with Vince. I'd take a small tripod and set up things yourself (being careful no one runs by and takes your camera). Also, just put your heads together and hold the camera at arm's length for a shot.

You may also choose to use the "timer" function if your camera has one and purchase a "mini tri-pod" or a bean bag to rest your camera on. Focus the camera on your significant other allowing room in the frame for you. Press the shutter button and RUN to get into the picture. It's kinda fun! If you have a digital camera, you can always delete it!:p ;)

Vince

Agree with Vince. I'd take a small tripod and set up things yourself (being careful no one runs by and takes your camera). Also, just put your heads together and hold the camera at arm's length for a shot.

With regard to small tripods, check out the Gorillapod at www.joby.com They come in two sizes, a small one for compact cameras and a larger for SLR's. I bought one of the small ones today and it really is amazing. Have you for instance ever taken a photo with your camera 'mounted' on the armrest of a chair? - no problem for this fella ... I had one with (slightly) bendable legs for uneven surfaces but this will wrap around things .... Their website has lots of examples. Can't wait to use it on our upcoming vacation. After all, there is not always someone else around when you would like a photo of the 2 (or more) of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind asking people to take our picture... and on the flip side when I see a couple with a camera I always ask if they want a picture.

With that being said, whenever I am ask to take a picture of a couple, I TRY really hard to make it fun for them.. like saying "Work it Baby.. YEAH" and that always gets them to smile more and have fun. I get sooo tired of seeing boring pictures that I want to make it fun for the couple I am taking the pictures of.

So next time your ask to take a picture of a couple... make them laugh and smile MORE, they will appreciate the pictures later.

We always ask if someone is willing to take our pic. We have some really great pics and we've never had anyone turn us down. I also reciprocate when asked. I try to make sure people get a nice picture. We also use the timer function on our camera and set up a picture. I would feel very uncomfortable carrying around a tripod. We also take advantage of the resorts/ships photographer, since we're not obligated to buy. We do however purchase a few of the best shots.

• 2 weeks later...

When my friend and I went, we asked people to take pictures of us, and everyone was really nice about it. A couple of times, a member of the staff volunteered if they saw us with a camera in our hands.

My boyfriend and I are going on our first cruise together also, and we want to make sure we get lots of pictures together too!

Look for the people with cameras who are hanging around on deck at sunset with a tripod and a camera bag. That way, you've got a better chance of finding someone who knows how to handle a camera. Ask them to take your picture!

Timers work well too - they can allow you to be more personal or creative than you can be when someone else is taking your picture (hard to 'pose', or do something creative or artistic, in front of others).

Plus - throw in some different shots than the normal 'couple standing together smiling at the camera' stuff...you'll really be happy you did many years from now. The photos that really tend to stand out when looking back through your galleries are the ones that are different - silhouettes of the two of you from behind standing at the rail looking at the sunset, pensive side shots of your profiles, looking into eachother's eyes, etc. You can do the other types too - but mix it up a little, and you'll get some great shots.

Here's a brief portrait tutorial if you're interested:

A suggestion for a type of couples portrait that always looks nice, but many people don't know how to shoot it: Almost all compact digital cameras can do it, if you know the setting - it's called 'flash fill', and it's especially effective during dusk, just after sunsets, moonrises, and at night with lights in the background. What you are doing is taking a shot which is metered off the dark background...the camera will be using a very slow shutter speed (as long as a few seconds, depending on how dark it is) but will still use the flash. You've probably seen some really blurry shots when shooting in the dark without a flash - that's what happens if something moves during a slow shutter shot. When a flash is used, the flash produces enough light that the camera will use a much faster shutter speed - no blur. The problem with using a flash for a dusk or night portrait is that the fast shutter will only absorb the light produced by the flash - which means you and anything within 10 feet is brightly lit, but the background is pure black (everyone's seen those shots before).

The fix is to use a mode that can use the slow shutter to absorb the background light, but still use the flash to properly light the foreground subject (you!). Unlike a normal flash photo though, after you see the flash fire, the camera is still taking the picture for another second or two - so the key to these shots is to stay still for a while after the flash (if you move, your motion will show up as a blur).

The end result always looks great - you will have a gorgeous, rich, colorful sunset backdrop or glowing nightlights or ship lights at night in full detail, AND have both of you nicely lit by the flash.

If you are familiar with cameras, you can simply choose a manual mode, meter properly for the background, and set the flash to 'fill' or 'forced' mode. But even if you are not a photographer, and just have a simple compact - you can do this easily! Virtually all cameras have a 'Scene' mode designed just for this type of shot. The scene modes on digital cameras are all of those little picture icons on the dial or in the menu - a beach, mountains, a person, a moon, etc. What you are looking for is the scene mode called 'night portrait', which often will look like a person with a moon over the shoulder, or stars. It's probably on 90% of all digital cameras I've seen.

Even by yourselves, you can use this mode easily. Set the camera on a tripod, set the timer, set the scene mode to Night Portrait, have your significant other stand for you to frame (leaving room for yourself in the frame), then press the shutter and get in the shot. Stay very still, even after the flash fires - for a few seconds. The camera will usually beep or click when the slow shutter is finished exposing. Don't stand too close to the camera - you don't want a head shot only. It will work best if you stand 7-10 feet from the camera so the flash doesn't fire too brightly on you.

Experiment with these - and you'll love them!

Personally, I would never go around carrying a tripod.. carrying the camera 24/7 was annoying enough (although absolutely necessary! :) )

We just came back from our first cruise and would just ask whenever we wanted a picture taken together, both on board and on the ports. Of course we didn't get to be together in every picture, but still got enough of them. No one ever said no when asked, and with a digital camera you can see right away if you like the picture, and if not, you can just ask them to take another one or ask someone else. Actually, some of the best pictures we have were taken by total strangers.

Just make eye contact with a few people as they pass by. If they look away they would probably only take the picture reluctantly and it wouldn't turn out very good. Using a digital camera you can see if they cut off your feet, head or any other problem and just ask someone else if you need to.

I cruised with my Mom and 4 of her 75+ friends so I was usually alone in port. I had a lot of fun taking pictures for other people, usually asking those who looked like they wanted one before they even asked. Most of them asked me if I would like a picture too, maybe thats a good way for you if you don't feel right just asking. Take theirs then ask "would you mind taking ours".

One word of warning! Be very careful if someone ashore offers to take your photograph. I saw a prime example of this. A young man asked if he could take a photograph of a couple, who of course said, 'Yes please'! All looked well, but he kept stepping back to, as he said - 'Get them both in'. Then without warning he was off and running, complete with camera into the crowd never to be seen again.

Have a brilliant trip and enjoy yourselves!

David

One word of warning! Be very careful if someone ashore offers to take your photograph. I saw a prime example of this. A young man asked if he could take a photograph of a couple, who of course said, 'Yes please'! All looked well, but he kept stepping back to, as he said - 'Get them both in'. Then without warning he was off and running, complete with camera into the crowd never to be seen again.

Have a brilliant trip and enjoy yourselves!

David

Reminicient of the scene where the Griswold's camcorder gets stolen in National Lampoon's European Vacation...

Fellow tourists...good idea!

Dave

Archived