grand voyage tip question

lougee1043

if you take the 113 day grand voyage that equates to a minimum of $2260.00 for your basic 10 bucks a day pp---- do they offer a tipping discount for that long a cruise or do they figure if you can take the whole cruise you can afford all the tipping bucks

if you take the 113 day grand voyage that equates to a minimum of $2260.00 for your basic 10 bucks a day pp---- do they offer a tipping discount for that long a cruise or do they figure if you can take the whole cruise you can afford all the tipping bucks

Hmmm...

What about the folks who book an additional stateroom just for the luggage and clothing (presumably a cheap inside...)

Do they have to tip for that stateroom too?

;)

What about the folks who book an additional stateroom just for the luggage and clothing (presumably a cheap inside...)

Oooooo. Now isn't that a good question.

The cabin steward still will have some work to do in that cabin, and the "behind the scenes" people are still there. There's no dining room assignment.

I'm betting they pay the service charge for both cabins.

(And if they can afford two cabins they can afford the extra service charge.)

Hmmm...

;)

HA HA HA!!

Would it be possible to tell the room steward to stay out of the room for the entire trip (to save him/her some time each day)??

this is going to sound very naive---- there are people that do that????

The cheapest inside cabin (NN) on the Prinsendam 113 day is $28K (round numbers) plus a 40% premium if booked as a 'single'. That's $39K just for storage! (Ignoring the auto-tip.) Before I did that (assuming I could do that) I would just continually throw away 'old' clothes as I went along and buy new ... and still spend a whole lot less than 39 grand!! :D

The cheapest inside cabin (NN) on the Prinsendam 113 day is $28K (round numbers) plus a 40% premium if booked as a 'single'. That's $39K just for storage! (Ignoring the auto-tip.) Before I did that (assuming I could do that) I would just continually throw away 'old' clothes as I went along and buy new ... and still spend a whole lot less than 39 grand!! :D
But to answer the question, yes, people actually do that.

We did not book early enough to get prepaid tips on the 2005 world cruise. Yes, we paid $2260 in auto tips. It was charged to our credit card with other accumulated charges at the end of each segment of the cruise. We also tipped additional when we felt it was deserved.

There would be no justification for discounting the auto tip unless the crew pay were increased for the world cruise. As it is, the crew members probably make less on a world cruise than they would on 15 seven day cruises. Many people on a seven day cruise will be very generous and tip in cash an amount about equal to the autotip. After all, it's only an extra $25pp to your cabin steward to equal his portion of the autotip on a 7 day, but it's $400pp for 113days.

I don't even bother with the "live from" threads on this cruise....way way out of my league. If I put aside 100 bucks a month starting now I might be able to afford this by the time I'm 70 and retired and I won't have to worry about getting 3 months off work.

P.S. I wonder what cruise ships will be like 30 years from now?

From what I understand, yes. But these people really like to shop ... and they have more money than they know what to do with. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't even bother with the "live from" threads on this cruise....way way out of my league. If I put aside 100 bucks a month starting now I might be able to afford this by the time I'm 70 and retired and I won't have to worry about getting 3 months off work.

Actually, I don't think the World Cruise is that expensive that it can't be saved up for in about ten years time. I definitely plan to do one ... in the cheapest cabin I can find. But I will have to wait until I am nearing retirement age (If the Lord is willing, and keeps me healthy, I don't plan to ever retire) and can tap into the 401K for the needed bucks. I'll just put in for "family leave" to get the time off.

I think the World Cruise is truly a grand experience ... and I'd like to do it once before I die.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Actually, I don't think the World Cruise is that expensive that it can't be saved up for in about ten years time. I definitely plan to do one ... in the cheapest cabin I can find. But I will have to wait until I am nearing retirement age (If the Lord is willing, and keeps me healthy, I don't plan to ever retire) and can tap into the 401K for the needed bucks. I'll just put in for "family leave" to get the time off.

I think the World Cruise is truly a grand experience ... and I'd like to do it once before I die.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree, steady investing over time can get you the money. A person would have to be dedicated and would probably need to put off buying a car for a year, buy a used car instead of a new car, etc. It just depends upon your priorities in life and how much you feel "obligated" to leave money for your kids. :D

Yes people do this.

Some of the more eccentric have been known to book cabins for golliwogs.:eek:

I am sure there are FedEx outlets in each of the ports too. I would sooner pay a driver to meet me at certain ports and take me to FedEx. I'd just ship all the excess stuff home before I would pay $39 grand for an extra cabin.

Also, I wonder if the ships have a storage area somewhere. Perhaps if you really had accumulated that much stuff, you could arrange to store the excess down there ... for a fee, of course. But I'm sure that fee would be a heck of a lot less than $39 grand!

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree, steady investing over time can get you the money. A person would have to be dedicated and would probably need to put off buying a car for a year, buy a used car instead of a new car, etc. It just depends upon your priorities in life and how much you feel "obligated" to leave money for your kids. :D

Fortunately, I don't have kids ... AND I don't drive. Looks like I'm in great shape for a World Cruise about 15 years from now. :)

I guess I should say that I live a rather simple life. I work, and don't have an overly elaborate social life. I take dad (93 years old) out to a restaurant once or twice a week, but these restaurants are generally either diners or perhaps a place like Denny's. Occasionally we'll go somewhere a bit more fancy ... Outback or Olive Garden. :)

I'm not a clothes horse or a jewelry hog and since my job is night work in a computer center, I don't need really nice clothing for work. Jeans and a tee-shirt do quite nicely.

So, I honestly don't see a problem with doing the World Cruise at some point. Travel has become a priority for me over these past five or six years, and to me it would definitely be something worth saving for.

Blue skies ...

--rita

DW & I went to talk to our financial planner soon after we were married. We showed him all our investments, savings, etc. and my first question to him was "I want to take a grand world cruise when I'm 60 (which is 23 years from now), can we swing it with what we're saving or do I need to put extra away?" He assured us that we were well ahead of the curve as retirement savings go and that we ought to afford it easily.

Set a goal, plan for it and IMO, you can do anything you want. The Grand World Voyage will be my retirement present to myself & DW. :)

From what I understand' date=' yes. But these people really like to shop ... and they have more money than they know what to do with.

[/quote']

why wouldnt they ship the stuff home as they buy it because they still have to manhandle their stuff at the airport when they collect their luggage to go thru customs etc etc etc

I am sure there are FedEx outlets in each of the ports too. I would sooner pay a driver to meet me at certain ports and take me to FedEx. I'd just ship all the excess stuff home before I would pay $39 grand for an extra cabin.

Also, I wonder if the ships have a storage area somewhere. Perhaps if you really had accumulated that much stuff, you could arrange to store the excess down there ... for a fee, of course. But I'm sure that fee would be a heck of a lot less than $39 grand!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita--

Somewhere a while ago I saw interior photographs of Rotterdam V on one of her World Cruises...

Some passengers had bought entire rooms of rosewood & teak furniture in Asia plus other oversized artwork on the way around. It was stored on Promenade Deck forward - all wrapped & crated up and lashed to the rails against the inside walls...

:eek:

Archived